OEM Oil filters vs. Aftermarket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I began searching about oil filters after I started to see smaller filters for my Legend when a few years ago I usually got the larger ones. found out that the larger ones I used to use fit NSXs and interesting facts.

Check it out.
Size Issues
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=9

Aftermarket issues.
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/info/article_read.cfm?articleID=12

Can't figure why Acura went down in their filter spec. - Engine would last too long?

Same reason they now go for 0w-20?

I don't know if there really are OEM oil filters anymore. I think that most if not all manufacturers of cars and trucks are now using various brands of oil filters that are painted in the car manufacturers colors. That is, the oil filters under the AC-Delco, Motorcraft, Mopar, etc,. paint job might actually be a FRAM, Purolator, Champion Labs, or whatever oil filter.

Possibly the car manufacturer might make some demands of the filter manufacturer, maybe demanding a certain level of quality.

The Saturn oil filters that came with my Saturn were marked in such a way that the manufacturer of the oil filter was indicated to be Allied Signal-the maker of FRAM oil filters.

cangreylegend,

Saab went thru the same thing quite a few years ago. They used to fit the larger ACDelco PF13s & Mann W920/26s, but when newer models with smaller working spaces were introduced they needed a filter with a smaller OD. The new, smaller filter (PF53 & W712/38) had the same gasket diameter & bypass pressure rating, so it could be easily retro-fit onto the older models. As the Dali Racing Guy says, the new filter was deemed "sufficient" for the needs of all the cars, regardless of previous applications or current fit limitations. The benefit for Saab, obviously, was only stocking a single filter for the different models.

All car manufacturers have "classes" of cars; everything from Basic/Entry models to Premium models. Saab changes things like intercoolers & exhaust systems on otherwise comparable vehicles to create some of the differences. With Acura, my impression is that the "super-premium" filter is being used (along with other, less subtle stuff) to separate the NSX as being "a step above" the other models. (I mean, really, how would it look if your Super Car used the same peripheral parts as your Base Commuter Vehicle?)

I don't agree with the Dali Racing Guy's comments about bypass relief valves, however. While, theoretically, having the bypass valve at the base of the filter is preferrable, there are numerous examples of manufacturers spec'ing filters for decades with the valve at the other end of the can. Some manufacturers even spec filters which don't have any valve, preferring instead to control it in the engine's oil plumbing. If a filter goes into bypass, that doesn't mean there is no protection (as the DRG suggests). It only means filtering has been temporarily bypassed in order to continue providing protection (the oil bypasses the filter media to ensure it still gets to the engine!). And while I agree that you don't want to stray too far from the manufacturer's specs, I think any high quality filter designated for your car would fall within the deignated bypass tolerances. Flow vs filtration has been an on-going debate here for months, with equally fervent believers on both sides of the issue. Check out the five pages of posts on Bob's Filter Tests for just a sampling of the viewpoints!

There's something that's odd at the same time. Depending on where you looked for maintenance info, Acura had recommended changing the filter at every other oil change and in some places every oil change. While the general wisdom is every, it is possible that the larger filters are good enough for every other.

Years ago I noticed that Crappy Tire and the oil filter brand that Target (USA) carries were the same oil filter - Made in Japan. That's all I knew - figured they must be OK so I loaded up. When my supplies ran out is when I saw the small things.

The small filter is $15 - big one is $17. Fram is $13. I'm going for the big one

I think Mystic is right. There really is no OEM filters. Manufactures just purchase from one supplier for their application. I guess it has to be a given spec. but so is the aftermarket. I am finding better filters in the aftermarket than OEM for my Miata. Filters even within a manufacture are different for simular applications. Purolator list Four filters for my miata and they are different in size,seal and I am sure filter area. Of course the most expensive seems to be the better of them and all will work I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back