Oil filter duration of use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I agree that oil and filters are cheap relative to a new engine.

However ...

This is a quest for knowledge, based upon real world data and not conjecture and suppostion. Many of you are more than welcome to stick to ol'skool mentality about "cheap insurance". But what you call cheap, I call waste. There is ZERO evidence to show that I did anything to risk my investment, and all the PROOF shows that both the oil and the filter weathered 15k miles with aplomb. Data and facts just seem to keep getting in the way of good ol' mythology and rhetoric.

Most folks said my first 10k mile UOA was a fluke, because it was so good. "Try doing it again ..." So I did. And after another long 15k mile OCI, the wear is well in control. And if I could find that Si leak, it would be even better still.

As for the filter, folks thought 10k miles on the Classic was too far, but the data showed otherwise. Here, the 15k miles on a FL400S shows the filter did it's job well. Wear metals were in check, insolubles were very moderate, oil was neither too think or too thin, etc.

Just because you don't like what you see inside a filter, does not mean it's unacceptable from a manner of true performance. This is no differnt that folks who look at oil on a dipstick and promtly pronounce the oil shot because it's "too dark".

When you disect a filter, you should be looking at things that the physical presence can afford; did the media hold up well, are the components still in place, is the ADBV still pliable, etc, etc. However, if you want to know how a filter actually filters, you cannot look inside the can. You need to look at UOA and PC data. Don't confuse the two methods of knowledge quest. I cut the filter open to see how the filter held up (quite admirably if you ask me), not how the oil did; that's what UOAs are for.

As always (and for about the 100th time), this is not a process to be taken lightly or undertaken blindly. You have to know the family history of the equipment. You need to understand how UOA data can and cannot be used. You need to purchase and read and understand SAE studies. You need access to heaps of UOA data. You need to enjoy being a wrench-turning gearhead. I shall never, ever suggest people just blindly extend an OCI out to 15-20k miles with no tools in the chest for tracking; that's just plain foolish.

But it's no more foolish that using syns and super-duper filters for 7k miles, calling it "cheap insurance" when any manner of "normal" products would likely take you 2x that distance. And then when you ingore your own UOA data which tells you so, it only serves to double down on the waste.

Running a syn/super-filter for normal OCIs isn't cheap insurance; it's gawd-awful-stupid-expensive-insurance. If you want cheap insurance, then run a normal oil and filter for a normal OEM OCI. There is so much buffer already built into "normal" products that hyper-great products are just plain undeeded and a total waste of money. I have proven that typical oils and filters are capable of going way past where most of you ever fear to tread. I've gone further on dino than most would dare on syn. I've run a typical filter 2x longer than many of you would dare on a PureOne or such.

The only difference here is I was challenged to put my money where my mouth is, and I did. I have proved what I claimed.

You've got no idea as to what the internals of that motor looks like,period.Until you tear that motor down,and show me and others what the internals look like(bearings,cylinder walls,carbon build-up,etc)doing this type of run on an oil such as this for the entire life of the vehicle is too much of a gamble for how much engines cost these days.

Most of you choose a filter based upon inputs; syn media this, end-cap that, leaf versus coil spring, etc. Blah, blah, blah ...

You all can banter about how wonderful synthetic oil filter media is, and how premium oil filters are "better" than normal ones, but in the end, REAL WORLD DATA speaks louder than your rhetoric.

Your sanctimonious attitude aside, you forgot to mention that there is the possibility of a complete failure of a filter by running it far beyond what it's designed for, which could result in catastrophic engine failure. Just because it's unlikely, doesn't mean that it's smart to do what you're suggesting. It's like wearing a seat belt. The chance of it offering lifesaving protection is small, but laws aside, most of us know that it's worth the extra insurance.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lapithes

Your sanctimonious attitude aside, you forgot to mention that there is the possibility of a complete failure of a filter by running it far beyond what it's designed for, which could result in catastrophic engine failure. Just because it's unlikely, doesn't mean that it's smart to do what you're suggesting. It's like wearing a seat belt. The chance of it offering lifesaving protection is small, but laws aside, most of us know that it's worth the extra insurance.

It's clear that you don't get it. I'll spell it out for you.

THIS WAS AN EXPERIMENT!

He is showing in the most graphic possible way that most people woefully underutilize their oil and filters. In other words, if a conventional oil, and just about the cheapest one you can buy, and a run-of-the-mill $3 oil filter can be reasonably safely taken to 15K, then how much sense does it make for people to buy the best oil and filters out there and run them only 5K miles? Even if Dave is a little strong in presenting the material, there are caveats out the wazoo in it so anyone can plainly see this isn't for everyone.

There is a lot of safety factor in most good products. I think Dave used up all of what was in that MC filter. You are right that the design limits of the products should not ordinarily be exceeded. If the filter is rated for a 10K OCI, that is the safe number to use. Some may choose to go farther and, in most situations, taking a few extra percent out of the design limit is pretty safe but that's a choice for each owner to make.

Dave has provided a demonstration to expand the knowledge base here and he used actual data to do it, as opposed to a knee-jerk, chicken-little-sky-is-falling, automatic condemnation of the results backed up with no data.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the filter pics. Filter looks fine, the grundge in the bottom of the can is concerning though.

Looking forward to the top end pics.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
automatic condemnation of the results backed up with no data.

To "condemn" means to express strong disapproval, and in the context in which you used this word, it provides the implication of condemnation of results. I am not disbelieving the results in terms of the UOA's. I stated something which involves a small statistical chance, yet possible, and if incurred, would obviously not have been worth it. As far as "no data", let me put it this way: There's more data available pertaining to filters failing when ran too long, and less data available which says they won't. More research is needed.

At the very least, I shouldn't be so chicken to run my OCI's out to 10k km
lol.gif

AS for engine pics, they will be forthcoming as I said. They will be simple under-valve-cover shots.

However, I most certainly know what this engine looks like inside, as far as cylinder walls and the top end. More than 100k miles ago, the engine was overheated due to a failed water pump (and my wife ignoring the warning signs ...) so I had to take the heads off, etc. I have run dino oil the VAST majority of the engine's lifecycle. It was amazing how clean and clear the engine was, and the cross-hatch was still evident on the walls. The top end was nice and clean. So I can use this experience, plus some tools (bore scope) to look through the spark plug holes, and the under-valve-cover viewpoint to make some reasonable comparisons. The overheating event "stained" the aluminum head material a dark amber color in some areas most likely due to the heating of the lube, but there was no sludge or other coking type effects. However, I did a UOA soon after the rebuild and eveything was fine.

Every once in a while I remove the front valve cover to see if there is a shift in residuals or sludge. To this date I've not seen any significant shift. However, I will take the pictures as soon as time permits for this most recent UOA event. When I speak of maintenance tools, visual inspections is one of the things I include tracking (UOAs, PCs, visual inspections, liquid level monitoring, etc).

I would expect that if the vavle train is as clean today as it was 100k+ miles ago (and has continued to be), then it's fair to presume the rest of the engine has experienced a similar relationship. If the cylinder walls today look as good as they did back then (even after a severe overheating) then I can presume the rest of the wear is typical even after the extended OCIs. There is no reason to think that sludge would only choose to hide in the crankcase, where I cannot see it. If it would be present, it would be most likely present in areas of high heat and low flow (like pockets of still oil in the recesses of the heads, etc). If it's not there, it's probably not hiding anywhere.

These engines are known for their longevity, partially (IMO) due to a relatively low power density ... Add in a decent lube system design, and extended OCIs really are not a big challenge here.

As a side note to the overheating storyline, I'll add this as an anecdote:
When the entire top-end of the motor was spread across part my of garage floor, my dad came to visit us. He saw all the stuff sitting on the floor, and said "Why don't you just buy her a new car? That thing will never run right again." As I recall, it had about 130k miles on it or so. That was like 6-7 years ago. It cost me about $700 to rebuild it myself (head bolts, gaskets, head/valve job, etc). So the dollar cost average was $100 per year of increased maintenance costs to save it from the heap, so to speak. It was already paid off, so it was FAR cheaper to repair the engine than to undertake a new car payment, especially with a full family to feed.

After I got it all back together, it actually fired right up on the very first key-on (perhaps three seconds of engine cranking). Folks - it's cheaper to keep'er, so to speak. I've milked this out for several more years, and I'm proud of the work the van has put forth, and the efforts I've put into keeping her alive. She's in fine mechanical shape, but the mid-west cancer (rust) is really eating away at her. At this point, she owes me nothing but a final Sunday drive. We plan to get 250k miles just for the milestone. It may well last past that; I suspect it will. But my wife has endured almost 19 years with that van, and she deserves a newer ride (although my wife does have a strong emotional attachment to the van).

My point? After 19 years, one overheating event, and some greatly extended OCIs, just how much "better" would it really run if I had spent 3x more money in oil and filters? How much "more" cash would the next owner give me if I said "Hey - this old rust bucket has used Mobil 1 and PureOne filters it's whole life. Why don't you pay me an extra grand for the premium love I showed it??

Any product should be able to pay for itself. The van has, and then some. And while I completely agree that syns and premium filters have their place, this kind of vehicle just does not "need" such treatment.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
automatic condemnation of the results backed up with no data.

To "condemn" means to express strong disapproval, and in the context in which you used this word, it provides the implication of condemnation of results. I am not disbelieving the results in terms of the UOA's. I stated something which involves a small statistical chance, yet possible, and if incurred, would obviously not have been worth it. As far as "no data", let me put it this way: There's more data available pertaining to filters failing when ran too long, and less data available which says they won't. More research is needed.

Good. The "small statistical chance" you speak of is equally present when you install a new filter... which could be defective from the getgo. Once a filter to proven to be working properly, there is little risk of anything going wrong until the safety factor is fully gone.

More data on failures? Please present some and I'd be grateful. I live this stuff and I haven't found any studies or data that indicate the percentages either way. Most of the failures we see here are due to materials defects or assembly issues, not from extended use. Perhaps you have sources for materials outside this forum. My contacts in the industry indicate a 2-4x safety factor built into name brand oil filters. I'm not necessarily advocating routinely reaching or exceeding those safety factors, mainly just using the product fully within the limit.

My point? After 19 years, one overheating event, and some greatly extended OCIs, just how much "better" would it really run if I had spent 3x more money in oil and filters? How much "more" cash would the next owner give me if I said "Hey - this old rust bucket has used Mobil 1 and PureOne filters it's whole life. Why don't you pay me an extra grand for the premium love I showed it??

True, a lot of people consider a car basically a "throw away" commodity in the end. Only people who don't are those who have a car worth something even when it's super old (ie, a classic/collectable), or people who just want to keep an old car going forever because they don't want a new(er) car. Other mundane everyday cars on the road are worth basically the same value as a new sit of tires on it after it's 20 years.

And the fact is something else, other than the engine, will wear out and cause the demise before any lubrication related engine failure (assuming you're not a BMW driver that runs the same oil for 50k+
grin.gif
)

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

True, a lot of people consider a car basically a "throw away" commodity in the end. Only people who don't are those who have a car worth something even when it's super old (ie, a classic/collectable), or people who just want to keep an old car going forever because they don't want a new(er) car. Other mundane everyday cars on the road are worth basically the same value as a new sit of tires on it after it's 20 years.

I think it depends. If it purrs nicely and has perfect compression, it might be worth a few hundred more.

Still - I remember when the '89 Integra that saw me through college was sold. It wasn't technically my car, but I put a lot of love into it and saw it through several minor repairs and a lot of its regular maintenance. I ended up getting the fast idle valve replaced and did a lot of the fluid changes. Still - the buyers didn't ask for maintenance records. When I mentioned that it had been run 10K miles on Mobil 1 with only filter changes every 3 months, the buyer actually seemed pleased because he'd heard that it was a good idea.

I did tell them about the idling issue when warm - that it might cut out when the idle just dropped. I thought it was because the idle needed to adjusted, but said to them that maybe they should check if the fuel pump relay needed to be changed. It would often fail to start if shut off warm, but would start again if one waited about 10 minutes. I think it was otherwise solid. I still would have liked to have taken care of that issue before my folks sold it.

Really though - a lot of us put time, money, and thought into our vehicles not because it's going to end up in some sort of payoff, but because these are our "babies" in a sense.

Many have asked about the "sludge" concerns. I believe this shows sludge it NOT an issue. The amber staining is from an overheating event 100k+ miles ago when the water pump went out and the wife continued to drive it for a short distance; do not account that discoloration to these two extended OCIs as this color has been that way a LONG time. Note that there is no sludge in any nooks or crannies. These are direct, un-retouched photos from tonight. Essentially, the under-valve-cover condition has not changed in more than 120k miles, even after the last 25k miles of LONG OCIs.
http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/dnewto...?sort=3&o=0
If you look close in the photos, you can see the paint marks on the rockers, etc where I labeled them from the top-end tear down about 110k miles ago. This the front bank; valve cover easy to get off. That's cyls 2,4,6 "E"xhaust and "I"ntake.
This is a Nissan VG30E. The Villager/Quest are essentially a van version of the Nissan Maxima in terms of drive-train and front suspension.

So, in synopsis:
245k miles on the engine
approximately 230k miles on dino lubes; the last 25k miles of extended OCIs
10k miles ST dino OCI with Puro Classic
15k miles ST dino OCI with FL400S
Wear in good control, even with Si leak
TBN/TAN not out of control
insolubles in good shape at .4
vis, FP and such all in good shape
Filter dissection shows no graphic collapse or hint of failure
Valve-train pix show no adverse sludge or heavy varnish

I don't know there is any greater proof of my claims that all this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Dave:

What's that chunk of something sticking out of the bypass hole in the one picture?

It's a sliver of the can from when I cut it open. I actually got all excited and pulled the filter apart, and then realized I was going to take pictures, so I had to put it back together for the pix. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Frankly I think we would keep this longer if there were not surmounting issues that are beginning to become out of control, and they have ZILCH to do with the engine/tranny. Here's a list:
- Rust is getting bad on the unibody chassis. It will begin to compromise the structural integrity at some point. Yes it got a generic undercoating when new, but that was 19 years ago. While some amount of small rust is tolerable, when it creates a risk of integrity, it's nearing the useful life cycle to me.
- Replacement items are becoming hard if not impossible to get. While the aftermarket does support most of it, it does not cover all of it. For example, some of the door lock solenoids are beginning to fail, and they are not available that I can find. Same goes for trim pieces, etc. And while there are vans in the junkyard, they are generally in no better shape.
- The cruise control has failed; root cause unknown, but I have searched and not found reliable sources for major replacement components.
- Another greatly annoying issue is the sliding door has a terrible rattle because the nylon roller in the track has disintegrated; again, no replacement available.

So while the van's engine and tranny are in GREAT shape, the general degradation is beginning to take an overall toll. Let's fact it, this is not a collector car. I am fortunate enough to have a 1966 convertible 289 v-8 Mustang; I know what is worth keeping long term, and my van ain't worth it ... The time and money to get her back to "new" condition would be wasted money. I could pay to repair all the rust, but that money would be much better spent on a newer vehicle.

And this is why I say everyone must measure the reality of how long they keep a vehicle, and what it takes to get it there. Face it; very few folks keep a vehicle 19 years. And it only took "normal" oil and filters to make the engine outlast the rest of the vehicle. If I used syns and super-duper filters, I'd have the best running engine in the junkyard, and less money in my pocket for the next one. As it is now, it still a great running vehicle, but it's getting too long in the tooth to really warrant much more expense.

The grand experiment is coming to an end. Like I said, we'll get more to sell her sooner rather than later. We'll hit that 250k miles, and then set her on another course with someone else. Maybe they'll treat her to some PU and FU ...
grin.gif

Last edited:
Many have asked about the "sludge" concerns. I believe this shows sludge it NOT an issue. The amber staining is from an overheating event 100k+ miles ago when the water pump went out and the wife continued to drive it for a short distance; do not account that discoloration to these two extended OCIs as this color has been that way a LONG time.

Dave - even if the amber staining was a light coat of varnish in the engine it would still be minimal and in no way would it cause an problems with the engine short or long term. Pretty impressive for 230K miles of conventional oils which I assume to span SJ, SL, SM, and SN services. Either way and despite the bristled feathers that you may induce from time to time, all of the information that you have shared costs money and there was nothing forcing you to do that, but you did it anyway.

So thanks for sharing the knowledge with the masses...

There's more data available pertaining to filters failing when ran too long, and less data available which says they won't. More research is needed.

More research may be needed, but don't fall into confirmation bias. Of course there's lots of data, both in labs and anecdotes, about filters failing. When a filter really goes south, it tends to be a noteworthy event, possibly involving the filter maker and even the OEM, along with repair shops. Pictures are taken, discussions are had, and we see it on the net.

Other than BITOGers, who else reports, disassembled, and photographs good filters upon their removal?

Well Dave--you've done your homework--provided data, pictures of the filter, and under the valve cover--and answered a lot of questions. I'd say you nailed it.
A tip of the hat to you, Sir.
Steve

disclaimer: I run 5-8K ocis, and won't be extending them any time soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back