O'reilly Microgard Switching to Wix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing on O'reilly's website shortly ago and noticed beside the normal Champ Labs Microgard 7317 that is spec'd for my Civic there was another Microgard MGL57356 which has a Wix number and the filter's picture looked like a Wix as well. Thoughts? Shows a MGL51372 for my F-150, too. Says 95% efficient at 29 microns...

Link

Last edited:
Well it'd be fine with me! Right now most O'Reillys OCI specials are not even on the table for me cause I won't use an ecore.

Originally Posted By: linkbelt
I will check my local store on that!

It says that no stores around me have them in stock. I certainly think that it will make their oil specials more appealing.

Microgards are OK but WIX in my opinion has a much better line. I have a Microgard in my stash. They are suitable for one oil change cycle in my opinion, not two. They are basic filters sort of like the OCOD, from what I have heard. You can use them with confidence if you do not push them past their limits.

So they are OK but not high-end in quality. That's why you see them a lot in certain sales.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Microgards are OK but WIX in my opinion has a much better line. I have a Microgard in my stash. They are suitable for one oil change cycle in my opinion, not two. They are basic filters sort of like the OCOD, from what I have heard. You can use them with confidence if you do not push them past their limits.

So they are OK but not high-end in quality. That's why you see them a lot in certain sales.

But is your Microgard a Honeywell or a Wix? The OP is saying the new line of Microgards are made by Wix.

If the latest line of Microgards is comparable to a Wix, I'd say a 5-10k OCI On a good clean engine wouldn't be out of line.

Had to stop by O'reilly while I was in town today and all Microgards on the shelf were still Champ style. I'm curious if these Wix made Microgards will have the combo adbv/bypass. I'm guessing they will have a nitrile adbv.

I was in O'Reilly a couple days ago, and it looks as though they've made the switch. The box has an updated look, and the employee I talked to said they were the new design. I'm curious too, as to how the new Microgard compares to Wix.

Last edited:
Does it state at the top of one of the box panels "Factory warranty will remain in effect when Microgard filter is used" like it does on NAPA Silver?

I'll check next time I'm there unless somebody beats me to it. The previous generation (Fram) Microgard filter was substantially shorter in length than a brand name filter for my vehicle.

Yeah, I'd say the PureOne is the most popular choice here. Hard to beat the construction and performance for the cost.

Just bought a Microguard last week Definitely made by Wix and identical to a Napa Silver/Proselect to include the combination rubber bypass valve/antidrainback valve. Very well made.

Last edited:
Oreillys had a 15.99 peak motor oil conventional with a microgard filter special. Guess it's worth looking into. Is the microgard worse than he regular wix? Is it like the wix is the purolator pureone and the microgard is a purolator classic?

Originally Posted By: engineer20
... Is the microgard worse than he regular wix?....

Worse? How about not quite as good, but more than sufficient for ~5k mi. oci. They don't use Wix's silicone adbv (use nitrile), less efficient, and 'some' use a nitrile combo valve, but not all as the link shows. Though not my first preference, even the ones with combo valves some members like.

MicroGard 51393 cut open

sounds good. when the microgards change back to fram, warn me!
or when they change back to something of an obvious inferior quality

no frams for me!

but i heard the fram was okay for a 2azfe toyota camry and didnt' have dry start issues for that car

Is the federated oil filter like the fram, or is it better and is similar to the new microgard made by wix? the new one has no dry start "fram" issues, nor does it have the "cardboard pieces in engine" problem the fram had, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back