show off your ride/engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working on 1972 Comet GT...

Looked like this when I bought it, missing stripe and a few pieces in the trunk(was a unfinished project, I hope to have it mostly completed in the next month or so)..

72comet_zps0ba6d25c.jpg

It has new paint, interior and even all NOS glass, but the engine bay was a real mess... The bronze was it's original color, somewhere along it's life it was painted that icky milkshake brown...

cometengineB4_zps9916b022.jpg

Transmission is fresh with maybe 50 miles or it would be out as well...

enginepull4_zps1e9ce8f3.jpg

All front suspension removed, most will be replaced with new, while power steering components will be rebuilt(actually already have)... Converting to '69 Torino/Mustang front disc brakes as well(Maverick/Comet didn't have a disc brake option till the '74 model year)...

drumbrakes_zps40c1962d.jpg

Fresh 306 waiting for it's new home... Found this as another unfinished project so decided it was cheaper than rebuilding orig.. My engine builder went back through the short block to verify the integrity of the rebuild... Was orig set up for EFI with a rumpty-rump cam(sold) so basically I had to remove everything except heads, not much reason not to do a total disassembly to be sure...

comet306_zps819856c1.jpg

Freshly painted engine compartment...

freshpaint_zps7f95dcd2.jpg

Fresh components waiting to be installed...

cometparts_zps407f7f75.jpg

I've started reassembly, this is current as of last night...
brakelines_zps875964b3.jpg

Nice! My aunt had a new 1972 Grabber with a V8- I should have bought it from her. I drove a 1974 Maverick LDO V8 in high school but it was a dog.

Originally Posted By: TFB1
Working on 1972 Comet GT...

Looked like this when I bought it, missing stripe and a few pieces in the trunk(was a unfinished project, I hope to have it mostly completed in the next month or so)..

72comet_zps0ba6d25c.jpg

It has new paint, interior and even all NOS glass, but the engine bay was a real mess... The bronze was it's original color, somewhere along it's life it was painted that icky milkshake brown...

cometengineB4_zps9916b022.jpg

Transmission is fresh with maybe 50 miles or it would be out as well...

enginepull4_zps1e9ce8f3.jpg

All front suspension removed, most will be replaced with new, while power steering components will be rebuilt(actually already have)... Converting to '69 Torino/Mustang front disc brakes as well(Maverick/Comet didn't have a disc brake option till the '74 model year)...

drumbrakes_zps40c1962d.jpg

Fresh 306 waiting for it's new home... Found this as another unfinished project so decided it was cheaper than rebuilding orig.. My engine builder went back through the short block to verify the integrity of the rebuild... Was orig set up for EFI with a rumpty-rump cam(sold) so basically I had to remove everything except heads, not much reason not to do a total disassembly to be sure...

comet306_zps819856c1.jpg

Freshly painted engine compartment...

freshpaint_zps7f95dcd2.jpg

Fresh components waiting to be installed...

cometparts_zps407f7f75.jpg

I've started reassembly, this is current as of last night...
brakelines_zps875964b3.jpg

Oh wow nice!! Thorley headers! They're awesome!

What size/stall tq convertor. Looks like about a 10" so probably 3k stall..

Thanks, Pete! The Miata is a grin inducer for sure.

Yours are spotless; I would feel comfortable eating off either engine.
grin.gif
The A4 is my favorite. Robert Frost could write a poem from that picture alone.

Originally Posted By: k24a4
The A4 is my favorite.

Thanks. Honestly, it's my favorite, too. I so miss that car. The 530i is a little quicker, but the A4 was a lot more fun.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302

Oh wow nice!! Thorley headers! They're awesome!

What size/stall tq convertor. Looks like about a 10" so probably 3k stall..

I's a cheap Summit converter by Boss Hogg specked at 2400-2800...

I may stick in a AOD down the road, I already have a 2600 Stallion converter in a useable trans that was in the '88 T-Bird I race(just not lately)... Bird is apart but I have a fresh AOD with Lentech valve body & 3500 stall converter for it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back