Any difference between Baldwin and Hastings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Baldwin and Hastings air and oil filters identical? Or is one somewhat superior to the other one?

I have used both Hastings and Baldwin air filters. As far as I can remember, they appeared identical. I think that they were both made in Israel.

There is one, and only one, place in the city just to the east of me that sells Hastings filters (a city of more than 100,000 people). I really like the appearance of the Baldwin and Hastings air filters, but I am using a NAPA Gold (Wix) air filter right now, for several reasons.

For one thing, the place that sells Hastings stuff usually does not carry my air filter in stock. It costs more to order.

The place that used to sell Baldwin filters is under new management and now sells Wix. I could order online, but I figure a Wix (NAPA Gold, CarQuest Premium) is good enough.

What about Baldwin and Hastings oil filters? Are they the same? Somebody said at this web site that they go down the same assembly line. Hastings oil filters used to be owned by a company named Hastings that makes engine seals and I think psiton rings. But now Baldwin and Hastings are owned by the same company.

I do not know about the air filters but Baldwin has a different plant for the oil filters. I belive the Hasting filter are made in Kansas or Oklahoma and that is also were they run the Amsoil filter line. I can not remember where the Baldwin brand is made. The Hastings brand is not well built as the Baldwin brand. The Baldwin brands targets mostly fleets and maintence center for OTR type eguipment. Hastings targets smaller shops and DIY type Farm Implment and Equipment type centers centers. Do not get me wrong both Brands are good but Baldwin puts a bit more into their Brand then the Hastings line. Hastings are also normaly cheaper.

I think that the Hastings oil filter plant may be in Nebraska. I don't know where they make Baldwin oil filters. The air filters for both are apparently made in Israel, if I remember correctly. I have not seen a Hastings or Baldwin air filter for a while. According to what I have heard, Baldwin makes the Amsoil oil filter, which is supposed to be one of the best oil filters made.

I know a couple of mechanics who are really big on Hastings oil filters. However, one mechanic actually uses Casite oil filters (which are made by Hastings but I guess are of lower quality). The other mechanic, who is 83 years old and still working as a mechanic, will use only Hastings oil filters unless a person brings in their own oil filter.

The Baldwin oil filters are really solid looking and feeling. They are heavy and appear to be well constructed.

A while back on this web site some people said that Baldwin air filters had great air flow.

If I am not mistaken, Bladwin oil filters are made in Kearny, Nebraska. Hastings filters are made in Hastings, Nebraska by the Baldwin company. Don't know about the air filters, fuel filters, cabin air filters etc.

Baldwin, Hastings, Amsoil are made in Kearny NE. Same assembly line, supposedly different specs. To my knowledge no one has ever cut all three open to see if there is a difference. I firmly believe the Amsoil and HAstings are the same but that is my opinion.

I have used both Hastings and Amsoil oil filters. The Amsoil oil filter is impressive-it appears well made, worked great on my car, and if I remember correctly, it had a spring inside like the Wix. I can't remember precisely about the spring-it has been a long time since I have used a Amsoil oil filter.

The problem with the Amsoil oil filter is cost, and also it has to be ordered unless you have a local Amsoil dealer. I think that it was 11 or 12 dollars, not including shipping.

According to Amsoil, the top three oil filters are the Amsoil, the Mobil 1, and a oil filter called the Hard Driver. I think the Hard Driver is now called the Donaldson, but I don't know for sure.

Based on what I have seen, I do think that there is a difference between the Amsoil oil filter and the Baldwin and Hastings oil filters.

If the Hastings and Baldwin oil filters are the same as the Amsoil, then they are really great buys. You can get Baldwin and Hastings oil filters for about 5-6 bucks, but an amsoil is something like 11-12 bucks.

The AMSOIL filter has a different filtering media than do the Baldwin/Hastings filters (well, maybe except for a couple of models, according to Baldwin factory rep). And, the media is more expensive.
The Mobil 1 and AMSOIL filters are very close in capabilites, and, SURPRISE!!, they both cost more than most filters.

If you are running junk oil, changing every 2,000 miles, doesn't really make a lot of difference what filter you use. If you are running extended drain intervals, makes sense to use a filter which will remove more and smaller particles and still sustain flow.

Amsoil oil filters aren't that much(11 or 12 dollars), If you are a preferred customer you pay around $7.75 an oil filter. hope that helps

quote:

Originally posted by **** in Falls Church:

The Mobil 1 and AMSOIL filters are very close in capabilites, and, SURPRISE!!, they both cost more than most filters.

Looking at Bob's flow testing though, it appears the Amsoil flows much better than the Mobil 1 and would be my choice out of the two.

[ May 23, 2003, 12:29 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back