How good are STP oil filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodyear and TiresPlus (Firestone) have started using STP oil filters on their $12.99 oil change specials. How good are these filters? I have not seen much info on them and have not seen them for sale in any stores. I am going to do an AutoRX treatment so I got my oil and filter changed before I started it (it was due anyway).

Am I ok with this filter?

I've been told STP oil filters are manufactured by Champion Laboratories, as are the SuperTech filters from Wally World...they're supposed to be good filters...they are also sold at AutoZone...

I have chopped open a bunch of similarly priced filters to the STP. Most of them were about the same except Fram had half as much filter area, and AC had about half again as much. If they were using Fram, it is an upgrade. Otherwise, a Hastings, Purolator, etc., a wash.

The factory filter on my Duramax is a carbon copy of an STP filter. If it is good enough for GM to install at the factory, it is good enough for me.

Good work Grease. There seems to be a great lack of consistency in trying to apply what you learn from one number to another. I have compared the PF 1177 to STP SO2856A, Purolator L10193, Hastings LF 143, ST 3950, and Fram PH 3950. None of them even came close to it. However it only had 255 sq. in. area, and a later version even less. That PF 1218 sounds familiar. With no bypass to sweat, if it has the same 20 mm thread and the gasket fits, I might try one if my local Advance Auto has it. I may even look at an ST 5. I have mostly used the ST 3950, since it is cheap, in stock, and about as good as the rest except AC.

I am not sure the inlet and outlet holes are that important. I think they are large in comparison to the oil galleries. I would need to look at the equations for holes, but for tubes, the flow is proportional to the fourth power of the diameter, a tube twice as big will have 16 times the flow at the same pressure. Fewer, larger holes with the same area would have more flow.

Trust me, it pays to look at the specific filter part number for YOUR application. Take a look at my thread I just posted "Proof that not all oil filter..." At least for my specific engine, STP, Baldwin, and SuperTECH are identical filters.

The STP-1 filter's anti-drainback valve does not work on my 302 V8. I took it off and gave the second filter back to Auto Zone for free (no receipt).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back