CEL '11 Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got in our Altima after spending about 3 hours washing, claying, polishing and waxing (car was looking awesome and I was so proud)....until I turned it on and saw the "Service Engine Soon" light
cry.gif

So I took it over to AutoZone to get the code read and got a PO101 for the Mass Air flow sensor. The car is running great as it always has and we havent experienced any changes in driveability, starting, smooth running, etc.

I found a TSB regarding the 2011 Altima and the MAF light coming on and the website states this: "
If the P0101 code is set and there are no drivability problems, the factory service bulletin suggest reprogramming the Engine Control Module (ECM) to repair the problem. Bulletin No. NTB12-051d "

How credible are TSB's? Are the repairs generally covered at no charge to the customer? How should I approach the dealership regarding this and the TSB?

Thanks for you help!

Read more: http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/p0101_nissan.html#ixzz2iKd4IDLl

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
grab a can of MAF cleaner and spray. problem solved.

But would that do anything if the actual ECM needs to be reprogrammed as suggested by the TSB?

Last edited:
TSBs are only covered if the vehicle is under factory warranty. TSBs are potential solutions to problems - and are not necessarily a sign of "known issues" that should be corrected at no cost.

You must be still under warranty, print out the TSB and ask the service department about it and see what they say. Chances are they will fix it at no charge. If its still under warranty I wouldnt bother touching it, make them fix it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
You must be still under warranty, print out the TSB and ask the service department about it and see what they say. Chances are they will fix it at no charge. If its still under warranty I wouldnt bother touching it, make them fix it.

This, that is what a warranty is for. BTW make sure the TSB is still current, we have people bringing in old TSBs that have been superseded by newer ones all the time.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

This, that is what a warranty is for. BTW make sure the TSB is still current, we have people bringing in old TSBs that have been superseded by newer ones all the time.

So the car has 55k miles. So are y'all saying that I have to be under warranty in order for the car to be repaired at no cost? I know that's generally the rule, but I'm specifically referring to the current TSB.

Also, referring to the actual problem now...would the car be running differently if the MAF sensor was actually bad? How hard is it to replace a MAF sensor?

The car runs the same as always. Just with the CEL light now.

TSBs do not extend warranty, they just give a solution to a problem. Generally somewhere in the TSB it will say "Repair covered under New Vehicle Limited Warranty" or something like that.

Only Field Service Actions, a.k.a. recalls, extend warranties.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Clean the MAF sensor with only MAF sensor cleaner, reset the code and it shouldn'tccomedy back, if it does then you mess with the ecm.

+1 try cleaning the sensor and resetting the code. Always start with the simple things first.

If the MAF is bad, you will know it.
I wouldn't even bother cleaning it, I would get the TSB done.

When a MAF fails, the car drives like garbage. Your MAF is obviously fine if the car drives the same.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig

When a MAF fails, the car drives like garbage. Your MAF is obviously fine if the car drives the same.

That's not always true.

My old '98 Porsche Boxster threw a P0102 code, and drove perfectly fine, but the MAF needed to be replaced in order to eliminate the light.

BC.

Emissions systems fall under a longer warranty, so this may still be covered, even if the 36mo/36k mile or whatever the bumper to bumper warranty is has expired. I believe it's 8years/80k miles for the federal emissions warranty.

596px-SDLC_-_Software_Development_Life_Cycle.jpg
It there's updated ECM software available it's worth getting it flashed even if you could have the light put out otherwise.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: SLCraig

That's not always true.

My old '98 Porsche Boxster threw a P0102 code, and drove perfectly fine, but the MAF needed to be replaced in order to eliminate the light.

BC.

I am sure you're right, but if there is a TSB for the exact code and problem, matching the description, it is a safe bet.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Emissions systems fall under a longer warranty, so this may still be covered, even if the 36mo/36k mile or whatever the bumper to bumper warranty is has expired. I believe it's 8years/80k miles for the federal emissions warranty.

My dad said the same thing last night! I will have to look in to this...I have the typical warranty coverage book. I'll read through it and see what it says. Thanks for pointing that out.

I also read that if my MAF was actually bad, as someone else stated, the car would be running different. In my case, the operation of the car hasn't changed at all. We'll see. Thanks for all your helpful comments!

According to the 2011 Nissan warranty booklet the mass airflow sensor is only covered for 3 yr/36k miles, if my reading is correct.

See page 11 in this booklet:
https://owners.nissanusa.com/content/techpub/warranty/2011_N_WIB.pdf

If I'm understanding the book properly, then only a few select items fall under the 8 yr/ 80k mile emissions warranty:
Quote:

HOW LONG IS THE DEFECTS
WARRANTY
This warranty is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, whichever
occurs first. The warranty begins the date the vehicle is
delivered to the first retail buyer or put into use, which-
ever is earlier. Additionally, the engine control
module/onboard diagnostic device and catalytic con-
verter(s) listed below and indicated by an “O”under the
caption “Warranty Parts List”are covered for 8 years or
80,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Here's a little more info that's relevant to anyone in a similar situation.

Here's an EPA booklet on the warranty. It also says only a few items fall under the 8 yr/ 80k mile warranty. It matches up with what the Nissan book says.

http://www.epa.gov/obd/pubs/420f09048.pdf

Quote:
What Are Specified Major Emission Control Components?
There are three specified major emission control components, covered for the first 8 years or
80,000 miles of vehicle use (whichever first occurs) on 1995 and newer vehicles:
•Catalytic converters
•The electronic emissions control unit or computer (ECU)
•The onboard emissions diagnostic device or computer (OBD)

It the problem turns out to be a software issue in the ECU and it must be updated, wouldn't that mean that the ECU is faulty and needs to be repaired by applying the update?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back