Jiffy Lube prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of mine goes to Jiffy Lube to get his oil changed, and was telling me the prices.

He wrote them down. He drive a Honda Accord.

Conventional Oil
Regular: $24.99
Signature: $31.99

Synthetic Blend Oil
Regular: $44.99
Signature: $51.99

Full Synthetic Platinum
Regular: $61.48
Signature: $68.48

Full Synthetic Ultra
Regular: $87.34
Signature: $92.34

I am absolutely flabbergasted at the price difference between conventional oil and ultra synthetic oil. $60.35!!!!! Preposterous. If your vehicle holds 5 quarts, that's an up charge of ~$12 per quart. I have been to enough auto parts stores and Walmarts to know that synthetic is a little more expensive.

I went to Walmart's website and here are the prices on 5 quart jugs of Pennzoil.

Pennzoil Yellow - $14.97
Pennzoil Synthetic Blend - $19.97
Pennzoil Platinum - $24.97
Pennzoil Ultra - $26.97

Now, my math says that the difference between conventional Pennzoil and Ultra Pennzoil is $12, not $60.

You know darned well if it costs us that little for Pennzoil's best, then Jiffy Lube spends next to nothing on it.

But going to a place where some flunkie may forget to tighten the drain plug, not even change the oil filter or put in no oil at all: Priceless.

Expensive yes, but maybe if you pay $87.34 for the Ultra they won't try and hawk you anything else since you are above the $75 mark which I understand is in their business model for how much to try and extract from each customer.

How much is it worth not to be shown a super dirty air filter (probably not even from your car) suggesting you need a new one?

Or a battery test showing you need a new battery?

The wanna-be mechanics get some mechanic and marketing skills all in one job.

(Not to dump on the individual guys, we all started somewhere and made plenty of mistakes.) Whether we are shade-tree or in the business.

Yeeeeeears ago I was in the Iffy Lube waiting room and the manager was on the phone telling someone how his ADT was something like $50.00-60.00; and was higher than the previous month. There must be some kind of internal competition among shops for the highest average daily ticket.
It was unprofessional within earshot of the customers and just confirmed what I had suspected. Sell, Sell, sell.

The Ford dealer across the street offers a syn blend oil change with filter for $17.76; any car. Can't imagine what those guys pitch.

Most dealers these days are cheaper than that. The local Chevy dealer is $35 for an oil change and a tire rotation, although with the new Dexos spec for now at least they see an up sell opportunity and charge $70.

That will change shortly because NFW are customers going to put up with that when they buy a new Impala if they can go right down the road buy a Fusion and the Ford dealer only charges $19.99.

Jiffy Lube mails tons of coupons, so I don't think anyone really pays full price. Regardless, they still seem to sell tons of changes...so the market will bear those prices.

4 tires rotated, oil change on f150, and all the fluid checks and so on at the ford dearlership, was 25 dollars here in Cookeville tn last week,,good deal, standard oil 5w20,

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
4 tires rotated, oil change on f150, and all the fluid checks and so on at the ford dearlership, was 25 dollars here in Cookeville tn last week,,good deal, standard oil 5w20,

Same at a jeep dealer here, they give pretty reasonable prices for an oil change

Not to defend them, but the conventional is bulk oil & therefore CHEAP, & the Ultra comes out of bottles & is a lot more $ for them to buy. Hard to believe anyone would pay their Ultra price, though.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What's regular and signature? Is it generic bulk vs name brand?

The signature service is where they check fluids, tires, vacuum, clean windows, etc.

Originally Posted By: KevGuy
In my neck of the woods, it is about $80 for an oil change with conventional. (Iffy lube)

Do you get a discount if they use a Fram oil filter?
Just kidding since I've used them myself.

A couple of years ago I dated a gal who got her oil changes at a Pennzoil branded quick lube. $82 for PP and what looked like a painted Purolator Classic. She did this every 3,000 miles, or five times a year. $400+ annually for oil changes with nothing else included. Yikes.

Her grandfather preached a 3,000 OCI and her father told her that synthetic was better, so she combined the two and would get cold sweats if the PP ran for more than 2,999 miles. What a waste. There was no convincing her otherwise, so yeah...

Id go to my dealer instead...my dealer quoted me 50.95 for TGMO 0w20 oil change before tax..(in canada) which already is alot..changed it myself..PU 21$ and P1for 3$..so about 27$ all in. Yep, im sticking with that.

The synthetic up charge really is ridiculous. For a 15k mile service at a local Subaru dealer it goes up like $80 for syn. No difference except syn instead of conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back