Tie rod ends - Anti-seize?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Not doing any soon (hopefully) but came to mind because Im thinking about doing an under-body coating with rust protection for the winter....

If I was installing something like a tie rod, would it be bad form to dip the threaded end into something like fluid film or anti-seize, to ensure that it was well protected and not prone to corroding? Its not really a torque to X application, and the ability to spin is beneficial to alignment.

Never done anything to the tie rod ends when installing - maybe thats not very smart...

Thoughts?

You might do the jam nut, particularly the face that butts up against the rod end and the "open end" part that touches thread. But the goal is to not get much thread, lest it unjam itself, obviously. You only want it on the cracks or interfaces that you can imagine salt collecting in, that would ruin your day if seized.

Typically the alignment guys have a torch, PB, and all the tricks. However they aren't above giving up quickly and saying you need a whole new inner tie rod/ drag link/ adjuster/ whatever.

I would. That way you can easily align it yourself in a year or two. The tread pitch and collar are going to keep it tight.

Last edited:
I think it's a good idea and I've never had a problem with anything I've done it to. I think it's a particularly good idea to do it in the rust belt like we live in.

I put some sort of anti-seize on just about everything; including spark plugs. I learned this while working on heavy machinery and living in the rust belt. It sure makes it easier to take things back apart.

Go ahead and do it. That's what I do to all underbody components, including suspension. You'll thank yourself 10 years from now. I even use antiseize at brake line ends. I haven't had anything loosen from this practise, and our family has been driving the same five cars for the past ten years.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I have never heard of putting anti seize on Tie Rod Ends.

Sounds weird to me.

Jeff

You live in CA. Rust is weird to you.

Then again, CA is weird to us on the east coast, so perhaps it evens out...

Originally Posted By: supton
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
I have never heard of putting anti seize on Tie Rod Ends.

Sounds weird to me.

Jeff

You live in CA. Rust is weird to you.

Then again, CA is weird to us on the east coast, so perhaps it evens out...

Touche...My Friend, haha

Keep it off the spindle that goes into the knuckle. I do coat the it and the castle nut and cotter pin with some moly grease after install though.

I use anti seize every time I replace a tie rod end, never had a problem and allows for easy adjustments.

I like to use a little wheel bearing grease on the threads but we all have our own opinions. Whatever you do keep all lubricant off the interface area of a tapered ball stud for safety.

I clean and lube the threads on everything. I either brush on Permatex silver anti-seize with an acid
brush for large bolts -- or I use TriFlow in a squeeze bottle with the little straw for small screws.

I use these brushes all the time on bolt threads.

WireBrushes-2.jpg

The guys at my alignment place have specifically asked me before to put anti-seize on the tie rod ends when I replace them
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I either brush on Permatex silver anti-seize with an acid
brush for large bolts

Obviously not Ag... You mean a nickel or aluminum-based AS?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Obviously not Ag... You mean a nickel or aluminum-based AS?

I meant silver in color. It probably has aluminum in it like you said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back