Opinions wanted! Best oil for 2013 WRX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so for now I want to keep my warranty intact so I am forced to use 5w30 oil (will eventually switch to 5w40 or 0w40 after I increase my hp).

Just did my first oil change and luckily found this site just in time although not in enought time that I could get the ''best'' oil for my car. I ended up settling on Pennzoil Platinum only because it is the best I could get my hands on with such short notice. Our local stores all stopped carrying Pennzoil Ultra for some reason and I needed the oil like next day.

My question is, since I will be planning ahead for my next oil change and want something a little better for my boosted engine, what do you feel is the best oil for my car that meets all of Subarus specs to keep my warranty in tact?

My initial feeling is Redline 5w30 as I have a buddy that can get it for $8.24/qt but I would like to hear everyones opinion on the subject cuz maybe I missed something in all of my research on this site.

Thanks in advance for any help
smile.gif

Do you need to meet an API standard or other approval?
I'm guessing the Redline is not API SN. Maybe use Amsoil or RP

Cool car!! And cool you are in WA!!!

4 or 5 door?

I've got a Limited 5-door 2014 on order, supposedly January arrival.

In your 2013 manual, what does it say exactly for oil type and oil change interval (OCI)?

Redline is good, but not API, GF-4 as are the best grades Amsoil. Running them will not harm your warranty, but if something suffers a premature failure, which I consider a very slim chance of happening, then be prepared for a hassle from the dealer. In the case of Amsoil, if the dealer gives you even the smallest hassle, contact Amsoil and they will be in contact with the dealer ASAP.

My plan is to run the factory oil for a few thousand miles, then use Amsoil OE 5W-30 for a couple OCI's, then Amsoil XL for awhile - all API oils. At that point maybe Amsoil HDD 5W-30.

I think the PP is a good choice, like you I prefer the PU, but if it's not available then I would have grabbed the PP too. As long as your staying reasonable with the OCI then it will hold up just fine. What does your manual say about turbo service interval. Keep your receipts and records of changes, of course. You can spend your money on a uoa if you are really concerned that PP "is not enough oil".

That is a good price on the redline, but it is twice as much as PP at Wally.

What filter are you running?

welcome2.gif

PP is probably a good choice, but I wouldn't use any Resource Conserving oil in a Subaru turbo longer than 3,750 miles. Heck, I probably wouldn't run one in my application, period.

Shannow, yeah unfortunately our Edge 30 grade is barely a 30 grade at 9.8 cSt's, except for GC.

The owner's manual is a mess. 5W-30 is "required for optimum engine performance". 5W-40 or 10W-40 conventional is allowed for replenishment only, even though 5W-40 conventional doesn't exist, and thicker viscosity oil is REQUIRED in high temps.

I wouldn't hesitate running German Castrol, Mobil1 0W-40, or RT6 5W-40 in a new WRX. WIth Amsoil, I would probably go with HDD 5W-30, DEO 5W-40, or the new Full SAPS Euro 5W-40. Just say no to girly man oil.
banana2.gif

-Dennis

Originally Posted By: bluesubie

I wouldn't hesitate running German Castrol, Mobil1 0W-40, or RT6 5W-40 in a new WRX.

-Dennis

The Holy Trinity!

The owner's manual is a mess. 5W-30 is "required for optimum engine performance". 5W-40 or 10W-40 conventional is allowed for replenishment only, even though 5W-40 conventional doesn't exist, and thicker viscosity oil is REQUIRED in high temps.

-Dennis

Pulled up the Manual:
Originally Posted By: Subaru Manual

NOTE
Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects
fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity
provide better fuel economy. However,
in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is
required to properly lubricate the engine.

That is about a vague as you can get. Since they list only 5w-30 SM or SN for all temps that limits you quite a bit. Subaru should list a thicker viscosity they find appropriate if they are going to have such a statement. They should come right out and say 5w-40 or 0w-40 SM/SN.

its probably CAFE requires them to specify only the viscosity it was tested at for MPG.

I'd use rotella T 5w40 in a second and it wont void your warranty.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd

-Dennis

Pulled up the Manual:

NOTE

That is about a vague as you can get. Since they list only 5w-30 SM or SN for all temps that limits you quite a bit. Subaru should list a thicker viscosity they find appropriate if they are going to have such a statement. They should come right out and say 5w-40 or 0w-40 SM/SN.

Is that out of a 2011+ WRX manual?

2013 Manual

Last edited:
I've been running 5w30 EC Synthetic oils on my 2011 WRX @7500 mile intervals. Car is still in tiptop shape at 37,000 Miles. I would say just follow manufacturer recommendation and you'll be fine.

Where I live it gets ridiculously hot during summer time and freezing cold during winter. PU 5w30SN has yet to fail me(knock on wood lol). Keep in mind that I don't baby my car at all it sees a wide range of RPM operation daily.

This car loves Pennzoil Ultra. Someone posted a WRX Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 UOA and it seems that oil help up well to our turbo engines. If I remember correctly PP held viscosity at 3750 mile interval the owner ran it at.

Also as a side note I'm completely stock. You should consider moving up to 5w40 if you're modded (Stage 1 or 2).

Here's an updated UOA post that I have.

Last edited:

-Dennis

Pulled up the Manual:

NOTE

I posted a comment on nasioc that I wish SoA would hire the services of an oil expert to advise on the manual. A poster that is coincidentally(?) in the same location as Subaru's R&D facility in MI said, "Trust me. The engineers feel the same way".
smile.gif

KHP remains one of the only folks that I've seen that have posted a trend on RC oils and PU is probably what I would run if I went that route. Otherwise, Motul X-clean 5W-30 meets API SM but not GF-5.

I understand the need to list 5W-30 for CAFE, but I don't understand the complete removal of 5W-40 as an option. Just like I don't understand the 2012 Outback manual that stated that it was fine to switch to synthetic, but you should always use it if you switch to it.
33.gif

-Dennis

I wouldn't hesitate running German Castrol, Mobil1 0W-40, or RT6 5W-40 in a new WRX.

-Dennis

The Holy Trinity!

Ok so I'm quoting myself now.. anyway,

Of these three only Edge 0w-30 (GC) is not SM/SN. I'd consider it the holy ghost of the three, because it can be kinda difficult to put your hands on depending on your local. Three is also the Belgium Castrol, 0w-40 which I'm running right now. If you can get it on sale its a decent value. I have no complaints, second OCI. I was on PU 10w-30 for several years before this shift to BC in the LGT and GC in the forester. I can still get PU here, and may go back when my stash dries up. I was on 10w-30 PU, and had an UOA earlier this year:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...091#Post2973091

I'm stage 3, 16g/injectors, etc. Hard to argue with those results.

There's also the Castrol 5w30 OE euro. If your near a BMW or VW dealer you might be able to get it there. It is a stout 5w-30. spec sheet for Edge Pro OE Euro (those crazy Germans!) and BC:

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4ABA633F17A143FD80257AA90053665B/$File/EDGE%20Professional%20European%20PDS_July_2012.pdf

First welcome to BITOG!

Stick with a 5W-30 syn' especially one that meets the HTO-06 turbo spec' such as Mobil 1.
There is no benefit in running a heavier than spec' oil grade with the stock engine set-up as all late model cars have electronic safety systems in place to deal with high oil temp's should they occur and I'd be very surprised if a new WRX doesn't as well.

Wow guys thanks for all the input! I posted this right before bed and a wake up to a million responses haha.

I was under the impression that Redline met all of Subaru's oil specs but I guess I was wrong, now I am confused again. I thought I was read up enough on this stuff to make a decently knowledgeable decision but I guess my noobness still won out. Some how I got mixed up between Redline and Amsoil, I thought Redline met the specs but Amsoil didn't, not sure how I got so screwed up.

I hate that Subaru puts you in this position, they make you put in a lesser oil which could damage your engine in an effort to increase your MPG's but if you put in a better/thicker oil (like the original manufacturers of the engine designed it for) you risk voiding your warranty if anything goes wrong. Its pretty ridiculous IMO.

FWIW I plan on following the OCI and doing the oil changes at 3,750 for as long as I am stock, once I go stage 1 or 2 I plan on bumping it up to a Xw40 oil. This could be a year or so from now though.

So ok new question here, if I were to say screw it to my warranty and put in the oil that I think is best for the engine long term, which should I go with?
Redline 5w30
Amsoil 5w30
Rotella 5w30
Rotella 5w40
Mobil 1 0w40

As I stated in my OP, I have an inside line on some Redline for $8/qt so that has my interest peaked as I have to weigh the cost as well with whatever oil I choose to go with.

Thanks again for all the help guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back