Quaker State UD 5w20 UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not impressed. Tell me what you guys think.

Car 2011 Hyundai Elantra 1.8L port injected NA motor

2011Elantra_zpsdffbe107.png

After 3100 miles?? mixed driving city/fwy mmmmmmm not sure about you guys but I'm not impressed.

Jeff

this car is my ex wife's and I do the maintenance on the car. She does a mix of hwy and city. Nothing unusual.

Jeff

I can't believe they're suggesting stretching it further when TBN is so low...

I would definitely change oil type.. I guess QS UD has a poor TBN retention

Yes very disappointing. I believe the TBN on a VOA of this oil is around 7-8. To drop to .8 in 3100 miles on a naturally aspirated, port injected motor? WOW is all I can say.

Next fill will be either PU 5w20 or M1 5w20. I know the PU is in the same family as the QS UD so I may be leaning towards the M1. Try it for 3k miles and check just for comparison sake.

Jeff

Last edited:
This is a little worrying seeing I have 15 quarts of QSUD and PP 5w20 in my stash!

Maybe ask for a retest then contact SOPUS. They may want to investigate.

Lab error is in play with this report is my guess. Theres no way QSUD has a TBN of .8 after only 3,000miles. Unless this was 1 year of 0.5mile trips. Look at all the other QSUD UOA, It still had a TBN of 1.8 in the sump of a cruze 1.8T for 9,000miles. Something is not adding up here.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Lab error is in play with this report is my guess. Theres no way QSUD has a TBN of .8 after only 3,000miles. Unless this was 1 year of 0.5mile trips.

+1

Ask them to retest the TBN.

Originally Posted By: Flareside302
Originally Posted By: mailman74
Should be fine for an ex-wifes car
27.gif

Yeah!! That's the way to look at it!!

+1

Yeah the pun towards the ex I don't mind but my 2 little ones are in this car is why I do the service. So I know it gets done.

As for her driving the oil was in the sump for 4 months. She does rural and city driving. She does spend time in line at the Mexico/California boarder crossing when she visits her family. probably idling for an hour in line or more. Just depends on the day she goes. That is about 1x a week.

I will test the oil again when I change it next since the QS UD is in it now. Though next oil change I will switch brands. Any suggestions? I was just going to try M1 or PU but leaning more towards the M1 EP at this point. Should I try a 30w in this car?

Jeff

Last edited:
It's actually a great report if you exclude the TBN. High FP, viscosity held, low 'wear metals', insols very low. I would ask for a retest. I don't buy that TBN result.

This is a lab error for sure , perhaps the lab tech entered the TBN values wrong.

We shall find out when I change the oil next. If the TBN still reads low?? Then yeah.

Will most likely be putting in M1 5w20 next time.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back