List of all Group IV Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some synthetic oils are less or more then others as some have Group III and some have Group IV, Is there any out there with Group V ???

Anways a list would be nice

Thanks

Group IV
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Penrite 10 Tenths Premium Range
Penrite 10 Tenths Racing Range
Fuchs depend on the product.
Castrol Edge 0w-40
Valvoline 0w-40
Nulon 0w-40

Originally Posted By: pavelow
Originally Posted By: toyota62
Group IV
Mobil1
All blends of M1 or just certain ones?

Good Question

Im told the Mobile 1 EP is not Group IV

The Mobil 1 products are blends of various base stocks, according to XOM themselves. You're not going to find a lot of primarily Group IV or Group V oils out there in SN/GF-5 varieties.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Group IV
Mobil1
Royal Purple
Penrite 10 Tenths Premium Range
Penrite 10 Tenths Racing Range
Fuchs depend on the product.
Castrol Edge 0w-40
Valvoline 0w-40
Nulon 0w-40

What about Mobil 1 High Milage

I read that only the 10W40 was the best grade for the High Milage Mobil 1

Originally Posted By: Garak
The Mobil 1 products are blends of various base stocks, according to XOM themselves. You're not going to find a lot of primarily Group IV or Group V oils out there in SN/GF-5 varieties.

I thought that what ROYAL PURPLE and that 1 brand of Castrol that I would never use were Group IV or V

Last edited:
RP HPS series is likely Group IV. When it comes to Royal Purple's SN/GF-5 offerings, I doubt it. There may be some PAO in it, but I doubt that it's primarily PAO based. It's very unlikely that Syntec is primarily PAO, with the possible exception of GC 0w-30. After all, Castrol was the one that pushed for the opportunity to label Group III oils as synthetics in the first place.

For Group V, you'll find things like Red Line, but that's not an ILSAC rated lube. The same applies for various Motul offerings. The Delvac 1 I'm using is primarily PAO, but that's certainly not an ILSAC rated lube.

I am not chemically familiar with base stocks, but what I have gleaned from BITOG if you worry about quality of base stock, this is the list I follow:

1)Pennzoil Ultra SN (has low NOACK GTL stock)
2)Amsoil SSO

Please note this list is based on great UOAs and availability.

For cheaper stuff that has a mix of GRIII and higher:
3)Idemitsu
4)QSUD, PP

But, it is really nice to know, that if base stock is really your thing, you don't have to search any further than the first 2.

I'd recommend Red Line but the UOAs don't justify the price for their 20 wt oils.

Originally Posted By: David1
I know some synthetic oils are less or more then others as some have Group III and some have Group IV, Is there any out there with Group V ???

Anways a list would be nice

Thanks

Originally Posted By: David1
List of all Group IV Oils

Not sure which you are asking but here is the list:

Originally Posted By: Pablo

Lol, some people are gonna be like was it supposed to be a picture that didn't show up?!!?

But this is the true list.. There isn't any pure 100% GIV base

That is one abundantly clear list!

I am under the impression that a PCMO cannot be 100% PAO based.

M1 AFE/EP are 60% PAO; Castrol EP is 30%. RP SL and Amsoil SSO are the highest with no Gp III.

The new format for MSDS sheets will show the percentages for the different basestocks. So, hopefully, next year we should know a lot more when they are updated.

Obviously, the overall performance of the oil is more important than the individual ingredients.

Afaik,there are no *over the counter* PAO oils (probably have to go with "exotics" via mail order). Since RP got bought out,did the parent company keep their original PAO basestock formula? A few years back,RP told me they started out with a pure PAO basestock,and used some grp II as a carrier for the additives.

Good list, but not complete. You missed the following:

I never understood the talk about basestocks and what real world benefit they give in terms of oil. Can the car really tell the difference somehow? Can someone explain or better yet, prove its better? If better, in which way?

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I never understood the talk about basestocks and what real world benefit they give in terms of oil. Can the car really tell the difference somehow? Can someone explain or better yet, prove its better? If better, in which way?

Definitely a good question. I guess it`s like the "foundation" of the oil. Start off with a good foundation and build it up from there.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07

Synthetic bases are better. If you want proof, then take a look at PQIA website and compare the cold flow measurements. Or, if you want a more overall impression, look at the ACEA approvals for a conventional oil compared to a synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back