2004 Honda Pilot 100k service recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mom has a 2004 Pilot that she wants to last a long time. The problem is that she procrastinates on EVERYTHING in life. She never wants me to work on her cars (although I usually do the oil changes). I finally told her today that I am stealing her car tomorrow and working on it all day. She has no idea what has been done to the car (she bought it new). Her husband says he has the receipts for all work, so depending on when some of the work that was done it may eliminate some of my list. It now has 99,000 miles and I want to get to most everything I can since this may be the last chance to work on it for a while.

So far I am thinking:

Spark plugs and wires
Oil and filter change
Trans fluid drained and refilled (what fluid should I use?)
PCV valve replacement
Serpentine belt replacement
fuel filter replacement

what else would you do to make sure mom's car is good to go for another 10 years?

and if anyone would like to make recommendations on preferred brands of plugs/wires/antifreeze/etc...then feel free.

Differential, transfer case, cabin air filter

I dont think you have spark plug wires or a fuel filter

Last edited:
Spark plugs: get OEM ones from RockAuto. The part number is in the owners manual

Coolant: Get TWO gallons of it from your nearest Honda dealership

Timing belt, Serpentine belt & PCV valve get from hondaautomotiveparts.com

For the transmission: 3 drain and fills is required. I would use Amsoil ATF (not the low viscosity kind).

Diff fluid and transfer case: do some Amsoil long life stuff here too.

Do some siphon and fills and on the P/S system. Usually 4 bottles of Honda P/S fluid is enough.

Flush the brakes with some DOT3/4 fluid.

Air filter & cabin filter

You got your hands full now!

Last edited:
I have never done a timing belt, what is the recommended interval and how hard is it?

I did the air filter and cabin filter both about a year ago on this car during an oil change. Guess it is probably time for another cabin filter

Ya t-belt is at 105k. You can probably do the serpentine belt at the same time. I could be wrong but I think the fuel filter is in the tank and not really serviceable. Valve job might be around that interval, maybe 120k, can't remember.

You have a pretty solid list there. Adding on to what others above said, I would also change the PS fluid. Easiest thing is using a turkey baster to remove the existing fluid in the reservoir and topping it off with new OEM Honda fluid. Depending on how the fluid looks after, you can do this a few more times or not. Honda transmissions are finicky so stick with DW-1 and do a 3X drain & fill.

For the PCV valve, it is tempting to buy a cheap aftermarket one but I would just get a genuine one from the dealer despite the higher cost. The spark plugs can be gotten cheap from AAP if you use their coupon codes (stay away from the stealership and their $20/each plugs). Make sure you check/adjust the gaps even though they say they're "pre-gapped." Along with the belts, I would do the water pump,the tensioners and oil seals since you already have everything opened up. If I recall, Rock Auto has a full kit with OEM parts for a very good price. Also check the air filter condition and replace that if needed. I would skip on the fuel filter.

Look's like you've got your work cut out for you!
smile.gif

Last edited:
well it looks like I am not going to be able to get to everything tomorrow. Especially since I agree with ya'll and need to get Honda antifreeze (unless there is something else I could use??).

I also plan on using Amsoil for the trans fluid. Here are the 3 products they recommended on their website:
Signature Series Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) (ATFQT)
Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (ATLQT)
OE Multi-Vehicle Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid (OTFQT)

Which should I use? Or should I go with the DW1?

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I have never done a timing belt, what is the recommended interval and how hard is it?

I did the air filter and cabin filter both about a year ago on this car during an oil change. Guess it is probably time for another cabin filter

I've done two timing belt jobs. You need specialized tools usually and a whole lot of patience. You can do the job in a day with the right tools. But if you run into problems it might take longer. You'll at least need a high powered air impact wrench, a 25 gallon or larger air compressor, some torque wrenches and maybe a pulley holder.

Eric the car guy has videos on how to replace timing belts on Honda's. Although you pay $15.99 for a download, the time and frustration you will save will be priceless.

http://ericthecarguy.com/vmanuals

Regards, JC.

Well, the extensive Honda maintenance list for 100K miles, ought to be good enough. But if it were me, I'd replace the anti-freeze. I'd use fancy synthetic fluids for everything, so long as I was dead sure they met Honda spec. Look to M1. I would probably default to dealer filters where practical.

One last thing: The in-line fuel filter assuming it has one. Not the little bitty thing by the engine. The first one by the tank. Often overlooked.

P.S. You are a VERY good son.

Some suggestions.

Link to owners manual. Had hard time getting to pages for service.
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/PI0404/PI0404O00160B.pdf

Adjust engine valves. They are mechanical. Not hydraulic lifters. They do need adjusting near 100K miles or may burn exhaust valves.

Clean EGR passages of intake manifold to Egr valve.

PS belt.

Ok to use Zerex Asian if change antifreeze. OM says 120K miles. I saw it at NAPA, Oreilly.

Ok to use Mercon V ATF, any brand even WalMart SuperTech, if want to pay less. Is only semi syn. Change ATF early and often.

Consider Magnefine or other trans filter.

Change external transmission filter. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1552462&cc=1425574

Consider ATF cooler.

Consider change radiator to avoid leak of ATF cooler at weak connectors to radiator which causes leak of antifreeze to transmission ruining transmission.

Timing belt water pump, tensioner, TB pulley and idler might be near $1000 at a shop. Hopefully, can get it done for less. $300-500 parts if you DIY.

Last edited:
Before thinking about doing ANY work, you MUST sift through ALL her receipts, records, hearsay from her and your stepdad, etc. and put together a maintenance log for this Pilot. ONLY THEN can you come back to this thread and solicit advice from us Honda folk...

Originally Posted By: thrace
Ok to use Mercon V ATF, any brand even WalMart SuperTech, if want to pay less. Is only semi syn. Change ATF early and often.

Uhh, NO. Only use OEM DW-1 fluid. Out of all the auto transmissions out there, Honda's are the ones you don't want to cheap out/deviate on with ATF

Last edited:
I agree with mclasser, use the OEM fluid at the current mileage of 100k. Save the aftermarket (high mileage) juice for last in the car's life. I've had great success with Valvoline ATF in both synthetic and HM flavor.

I agree about going through the receipts to find out what was done but you should still be able to get a pretty good idea just by poking around under the hood because most fluids are very easy to determine if they were replaced recently or not.

@ 100k I'd do all the fluids like transmission, power steering fluid, complete brake flush and coolant. Brakes are usually very neglected and need attention. Usually just brake pad replacement, nobody bleeds the fluid or even re-grease the caliper sliding pins to keep everything lubricated properly. I've lost count how many times I've done brake jobs at 150k+ and the sliding pins are near dry and almost seized! This later reduced gas mileage as well because the brakes drag so make sure the braking system is up to spec.

Valve adjustment is not a huge necessity at this point. My 2007 Civic EX had 140k on it and ran flawlessly. I saw no reason to adjust anything.

If you're limited on time, do the essential stuff and save the rest for another day.

Oh and give your mom a lecture about improper car maintenance. Give her the safety speech about how her life is on the line and properly functioning brakes, transmission, cooling system, etc is very important to maintain.

I personally maintain my parents car and even started doing maintenance on my in-laws automobile after I got married.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: thrace

Uhh, NO. Only use OEM DW-1 fluid. Out of all the auto transmissions out there, Honda's are the ones you don't want to cheap out/deviate on with ATF
Yes, Mercon V will work well. Definitely do not use obsolete Honda Z-1. Many Hondas failed with Z-1 only in them. DW-1 is the current Honda brand but it is lower viscosity than Z-1 that a 2004 originally had. DW-1 is not labeled synthetic in the USA and was not designed when the 2004 was built but should work. There are other brands used with long term success in Honda, including Maxlife.

Quote:
Valve adjustment is not a huge necessity at this point. My 2007 Civic EX had 140k on it and ran flawlessly. I saw no reason to adjust anything.
What are the valve clearances? If you know clearances are good, it is fine. If valve clearances are not checked, that only means they are not checked. Mine were zero for several exhaust valves on my V6 Honda at 105K miles. Too tight leads to burned valves. Time to adjust around 100K. This Honda does not have hydraulic valve lifters.

If you do most of the recommended items, it may cost thousands. Do a few at a time. Consider DIY, gradually if you need to save cash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back