Tires for Fit: stay with Dunlop or try Kumho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In short: I need 1 (probably 2 for a nice pair) 185/55R16s

I cut a corner too close and going too fast -- about 25 -- and hit the curb on the front driver's side. The tire is trashed as you might imagine: sidewall burst, etc. I drove about a mile to get off the road safely.

Now my main question is if I should replace with the same Dunlop SP Sport 7000s I have on it now (UTQG: 340 A A) or should I look into a slight upgrade to the Kumho Ecsta P31 (UTQG: 500 A A) for about $25 less per tire, per TireRack.com.

Thoughts?

And yes, I need to find out if my rim is bent.

If the remaining tread of others are at 4/32" or less I would replace all 4 with Kumho. If others are at 5/32" or more(which is not likely for 340 AA after 40k miles), I would replace 2 with Kumho and have it at the rear.

I'd opt for the Kuhmos whether you needed two or all four.

How did you get 40k out of the SP Sport 7000? They were down past the wear bars on my Accord at 27k.

If you need all 4 and are open to a very slight MPG hit, 205/50-16 has many more and better choices than 185/55-16. Our Fit is shod with Continental DWS's in 205/50-16 at present. They do everything better than the OEM tires, except a 1-2 mpg hit.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
If you need all 4 and are open to a very slight MPG hit, 205/50-16 has many more and better choices than 185/55-16. Our Fit is shod with Continental DWS's in 205/50-16 at present. They do everything better than the OEM tires, except a 1-2 mpg hit.

My friend did the same thing after reading on fitfreak. He went through the dunlops and something else in stock size and hated both. He is also now on 205-50-16 Conti DWS and loves them. He also has Blizzaks for winter I think stock size.

I have not had experience with Dunlops (Dunlop Goldseals) for 46 years, since I had them on my MG Midget. Back then, they were called "squeak seals" and I replaced them ASAP.

I don't think Kumhos are a "premium" tire either. I use Goodyears, BF Goodrich, and Michelins.

Last edited:
We really have had no problem with the Dunlops. They've been fine and the blowout was completely my fault so no problem there.

The Turanzas (?) that came OEM with the car were pieces of [censored] that developed bubbles on the sidewalls. My wife drives very conservatively so we don't stress our tires too much. No snow here but much rain. Would hate to lose 1-2 mpg since that's the best part of the car - well, one of the best parts.

I'm scared to change the official recommended size but since I like my MPG I don't think it's going to happen anyway.

If the Dunlops were satisfactory in your use of the car, buy another set.
They are a pretty good value.
At the mileage you have on the current tires, I'd probably just replace all four.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
I don't think Kumhos are a "premium" tire either. I use Goodyears, BF Goodrich, and Michelins.

^^This^^

Kumho would be more of a downgrade than an upgrade.

How about a lateral move? I see they have Yokohamas on Tirerack for the same price as the Dunlops but with a higher customer satisfaction rating.

I wouldn't get hung up on UTQG ratings other than avoiding Temperature C and Traction B & C. UTQG ratings are a leftover from the seventies, are not tested in independent laboratories and their interpretation is left up to the whimsy of the tire manufacturers.

Whatever you end up buying if it were me I would try to get tires designed for retail sale, and avoid original equipment tires like the plague.

You might try 205/50R16 or even 205/55R16 for a better tire selection and/or price. BITOGer Capriracer has an interesting theory on his own website that basically states that increasing tire with doesn't always decrease fuel economy. When I replaced the OEM Pirelli Wheelbarrow tires in 175/65R15 on my Fit with Bridgestone Potenza 195/60R15 retail tires primarily designed for Australia it really cleaned up the handling and improved stopping distances (ABS rarely activates now, even in rain).

Check the prices on tires in both sizes and determine whether the 205mm tires are cheaper, and if so, whether the cost covers the MPG hit over the expected life of the tires.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Check the prices on tires in both sizes and determine whether the 205mm tires are cheaper, and if so, whether the cost covers the MPG hit over the expected life of the tires.

Dumb question here -- will these 205mm tires fit on my wheels? I really don't want to buy new wheels as well.

Originally Posted By: Pajamarama
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Dumb question here -- will these 205mm tires fit on my wheels? I really don't want to buy new wheels as well.

I'm sorry, I don't know. One of the other Fit-owning members originally suggested the 205mm tires.

I only know that there's a significant savings in buying a different size for my wife's Civic, so I wanted to reply to you saying the mpg hit wasn't worth it; it may be, if the cost of the tire is less.

Not a dumb question. Euro-metric 205/50 is approved for 5.5 to 7.5" rim widths. P-metric P205/50 is approved for 5.5 to 8.0". You will find your rim width embossed on the part of the rim behind or between the spokes. It will say something like "5-1/2JJ".

I have two customers that are using the 205/55R16 on their Fits.

Cant find any kumho p31?

did you mean pa31?

I like my kumho 4x they do everything well. Did take abit of a hit on mpg vs OE tires.

Got a phone call (!) and email from TireRack. They are reporting that Kumho has adjusted the availability date for my tires to 11/16. Since I can't wait 3 more weeks for tires, I am looking at the Yokohama AVID Ascends instead. They look good to me (740 AA) at only slightly more per tire. They are also Low Rolling Resistance. Anyone have experience with these tires?

Got a phone call (!) and email from TireRack. They are reporting that Kumho has adjusted the availability date for my tires to 11/16. Since I can't wait 3 more weeks for tires, I am looking at the Yokohama AVID Ascends instead. They look good to me (740 AA) at only slightly more per tire. They are also Low Rolling Resistance. Anyone have experience with these tires?
Or go Yokohama, way better tire in my opinion, more durable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back