2013 Silverado 5.3l oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

It is time to do the first oil change on my wife's 5.3l Silverado. Wondering if anyone has this vehicle and if so, is there an oil which is better suited for this engine? I have heard a lot of people say this oil make my engine loud and this is best etc. My 4.7l Ram runs the same on any oil I put in it.

I plan on running a Fram Ultra filter. I am thinking M1, PP, or QSUD for her 5.3l. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

She typically drives short trips with some 20 milers put in the mix. For the most part, city driving and all it entails.

Thanks.

Thanks! I currently use PP in my pickup and I am happy with it. Is PP dexos1 approved? I can get to the link at work; however, it dies from there. So I can't see if it is or not.

I am really interested in PU, but cannot find it anywhere.

it says :
Approved to GM 6094M specification (SAE 5W-20, 5W-3
0 and SAE 10W-30)

Approved to GM 4718M specification for Corvette (5W
-30 and 10W-30)

Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007
Thanks! I currently use PP in my pickup and I am happy with it. Is PP dexos1 approved? I can get to the link at work; however, it dies from there. So I can't see if it is or not.

I am really interested in PU, but cannot find it anywhere.

PP 5w30 is dexos1 approved.

This is the oil my dad uses in his 2011 burb...great oil. We combine that with a NP filter and run her down to 5% on the OLM, even though clearly that combo is good for far longer intervals.

The GM 5.3L vortec and PP is a great match.

I've been using Pennzoil Platinum in two 5.3 liter GM trucks for years. No worries, no problems. I change it according to the OLM, and life is good.

However, I am giving serious consideration to using the Dexos-1 approved Pennzoil 5w-30 Synthetic Blend in both.

I use Purolator filters on both, the longer length version.

Pennzoil Ultra would be overkill in these engines, unless you're beating it like a rented mule on a daily basis.

Nope, it isn't abused. I think I am going to stick with PP 5w30 with Fram Ultra for this vehicle. It is nice to hear from people who actually have this motor. Thanks for the inputs.

I have the same truck as the OP and I use Mobil 1 5W-30 and an AC Delco PF48 oil filter.

My old 2008 Silverado I used the same oil and filter, no problems.

Mobil 1 oil is an excellent product.

Any full synthetic 5W-30 will work great in that 5.3L - even SuperTech. NAPA has theirs on sale for $3.49 qt - that's tough to beat.

Originally Posted By: bigt61
Any full synthetic 5W-30 will work great in that 5.3L - even SuperTech. NAPA has theirs on sale for $3.49 qt - that's tough to beat.

Problem with using Supertech Full Synthetic is it's not dexos1 licensed.

Originally Posted By: DodgeRamz2007
Hello everyone,

It is time to do the first oil change on my wife's 5.3l Silverado. Wondering if anyone has this vehicle and if so, is there an oil which is better suited for this engine? I have heard a lot of people say this oil make my engine loud and this is best etc. My 4.7l Ram runs the same on any oil I put in it.

I plan on running a Fram Ultra filter. I am thinking M1, PP, or QSUD for her 5.3l. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

She typically drives short trips with some 20 milers put in the mix. For the most part, city driving and all it entails.

Thanks.

Any Dexos approved oil will be great. The hard thing for some to grasp is that these engines are NOT hard on the oil. And the OLM on GM V8's is superb, simply follow it with any approved oil and your engine will out last the truck around it!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Any Dexos approved oil will be great. The hard thing for some to grasp is that these engines are NOT hard on the oil. And the OLM on GM V8's is superb, simply follow it with any approved oil and your engine will out last the truck around it!

So are the instances of lifter failure due to the multi-displacement system over-hyped? I bought a 2010 Tahoe and love it, wondered when I read on a few GM forums about the problems, and have been changing oil at short intervals.

Like so many things you read online, I have had no way of knowing if it was a few isolated incidents or a real problem with these engines.

Originally Posted By: Dave01
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

So are the instances of lifter failure due to the multi-displacement system over-hyped? I bought a 2010 Tahoe and love it, wondered when I read on a few GM forums about the problems, and have been changing oil at short intervals.

Like so many things you read online, I have had no way of knowing if it was a few isolated incidents or a real problem with these engines.

Internet magnification. GM sells literally hundreds of thousands of these engines and they work hard every day, with most getting Jiffy Lube service. I have lost track of the number of high hour and mileage GM V8's I have seen that run fine.

The bottom line is as long as you change the oil these motors simply don't care and the rest of the vehicle will fall apart around them.

Any 5w30 that has the Dexos stamp on it for warranty reasons on such a new vehicle will be fine.

^^^Yeppir, they generally outlast the truck they are in.

The Internet 'amplifies' a problem, you never get to hear from the millions of perfectly satisfied folks who don't post in forums!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Just curious, why's the truck have to have full synthetic?

GM as of 2011 requires dexos1 licensed oil in their gasoline engines. All dexos1 licensed oil is either full or a synthetic blend.

Since the price between full and synthetic blends is minimal, I just go with full synthetic Mobil 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back