Need oil/filter opinion on 2007 honda Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

picking up a 2007 Odyssey 3.5 V6 with 83000kms on it. It has been a government fleet vehicle all its life (Police) so I know regular maintenance was done. First thing I'm doing once I get it is change oil/trans fluid and all associated filters. I have a stash of PP 5W20 that I was planning on using (use it on my 05 CRV) along with a Purolator P1 filter or WIX. From what i read, the V6 is hard on oils so I plan a 7000km change interval just to be on the safe side. Any opinions or experience with this motor would be greatly appreciated.

Maintaining the transmission with regular maintenance is very important. I believe the tranmission is the weakest link in the V6 Odyssey drivetrain.

Same engine as in my 2007 Ridgeline with 63K miles. Since new I've used Kendall and 76 syn blend 5W-20 with excellent results. Truck uses zero oil and at 7K miles my oil life monitor usually shows 20-30% left. I've had good experience with WIX but I most often use the OEM filters made in Asia, usually Nippon or Union brands, and that's the A01 version.

I would definitely use oil filters that have glass fibers mixed into the cellulose filter media. NAPA Gold filters usually have them like that for a decent price. For even better performance (you can go down to 2 microns filtration), go with www.microgreenfilter.com . The glass-paper oil filters get out junk down to 25 microns, but the microgreens run a parallel path filtration inside the filter to get out much smaller for less engine wear.

Also, for oil, I like the Mazda (dealership available) 0w-20 synthetic because they use high moly.

Transmission-wise, all I've heard about my Civic is "use Honda fluid" from people in person. Online is a different story.

Maybe just personal opinion, but it's treated me well: I'd stick with Honda transmission fluid. The latest one is called DW-1.

Easier than an oil change, unless you have a filter. *Googled it*

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-20...ion-filter.html

You do have a transmission filter, but it's internal. Up to you if you want to bother with that, obviously.

I'd highly recommend maintaining the automatic transmission in the van thoroughly. Change the fluid at least once every year or two with Honda DW-1 or Amsoil Signature Universal ATF. I've been using Amsoil in place of the Honda stuff in my Acura since I got it, and we're now using it in the Civic we just picked up that has a trouble-prone transmission. As for oil/filter, I'd change it every 5,000 miles or so with a name brand synthetic oil due to living in Canada with the low temperatures you guys see. I forget if those take 5W-20 or 5W-30, but you can't go wrong with Valvoline SynPower, Pennzoil Platinum, Mobil 1, etc.

I plan on sticking with Honda Trans fluid for sure (like my CRV). Going to drain and refill two times and after that do it every two years. I'm probably only going to drive the Odyssey ~10,000km/year so every 2 years is fine. Being an ex-police surveillance vehicle, i'm sure she's been ridden hard and put away wet a few times!

I'll go with my stash of PP 5W20 with a Napa Gold filter and stick with a 7000km interval. Might be a little overkill for PP but I picked it up pretty cheap at walmart last boxing day (19.99 for 4.73 litres). This van will see 85% city driving.

Originally Posted By: Mauro
Being an ex-police surveillance vehicle, i'm sure she's been ridden hard and put away wet a few times!

I'm not familiar with Canadian police vehicles... is this the typical state trooper ride?(If so that is kinda funny) Used in high speed chases, etc?
smile.gif

Mauro, I had a 2008 Ody LX. Loved it. I cut all my used oil filters open, and I liked the quality of blue Honda filters best for this application. I ran that and 5w20 oil of various flavors per the OLM which was usually 6-7K miles for our usage.

Good news is, 2007+ has the 'latest and greatest' 4-shaft 5spd auto from the 4x4 ridgeline and pilot. Doing a trans drain/fill is easier than an engine oil change on these. There's a huge fill plug up top and a drain plug underneath. You just need a long funnel for the fill.

Everyone has their opinion, but I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF in mine and it shifted/behaved wonderfully on this ATF.

From everything I've read, Honda specs their OEM oil filters to run higher flow v. higher filtration. That may be something to consider if you are thinking about using a denser filter media.

I haven't changed the oil in our Ody yet, but when I do I am planning on using the OEM A02 filters. I'm not completely thrilled with the construction, but I know the flow rate will be correct for the motor and not too restrictive for the oil pump.

BTW, planning on using Mazda 0w-20 w/Moly on the first oil change. Definitely stay on top of the tranny maintenance. Better too much than not enough with these...

PP, along with any good quality synthetic like M1 will keep that engine happy. Your filter choices are good; can't go wrong with either.

Do you have access to the vehicle's maintenance history? Any time I've bought a used car, I always change out all the fluids. Honda's tend to be finicky with their fluids so I would use OEM stuff, especially with the tranny. Do a drain/fill 3x and you should be good there. The power steering fluid is often neglected on vehicles, so I'd drain out the PS fluid reservoir with a turkey baster a few times and refresh the system with some fresh Honda fluid. For the antifreeze, you can drain the radiator and refill with the blue long lasting coolant Honda has.

Last edited:
If yours has VCM and you do a lot of highway driving, I suggest shorter OCIs or a low NOACK oil (such as PU). The OLM of that era doesn't seem calibrated well for sustained VCM activation. This thread goes into detail about it on an '09 Pilot: www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2710702

The trans in the '07+ Odyssey is a bit more robust than its predecessors. The OP's maintenance regimen for it seems reasonable, though an inline filter wouldn't be a bad addition.

We have an '06 Odyssey with about 60k miles on it. Been using M1 0W-20 with mostly Fram Tough Guard filters since new.

Most recent oil change, threw in TGMO 0W-20 and am amazed at how quiet the car idles cold. Wouldn't say it idled loudly before but, with the TGMO, the difference is amazing.

As others posted, keep on top of trans fluid which is exceptionally easy. I stick with Honda trans fluid. Same with PS reservoir ... A turkey baster makes the job simple (just watch the paint)

Best of luck with the new wheels...

Originally Posted By: Finz
We have an '06 Odyssey with about 60k miles on it. Been using M1 0W-20 with mostly Fram Tough Guard filters since new.

Most recent oil change, threw in TGMO 0W-20 and am amazed at how quiet the car idles cold. Wouldn't say it idled loudly before but, with the TGMO, the difference is amazing.

As others posted, keep on top of trans fluid which is exceptionally easy. I stick with Honda trans fluid. Same with PS reservoir ... A turkey baster makes the job simple (just watch the paint)

Best of luck with the new wheels...

PS fluid doesn't really affect paint. I mean, it's messy and everything, but it doesn't do anything that a little detergent won't take care of.

Now brake fluid is another matter.....

Originally Posted By: yesthatsteve

The trans in the '07+ Odyssey is a bit more robust than its predecessors.

Actually it was the '06 HO that started the series improved trans. '06 and up are pretty good.

The NAPA Gold has served my HO well, its a great choice. Oil wise, even though I don't have to worry about VCM sludging, I run syn every time, and suggest you definitely do too. IMO, ALL Honda 3.5L V6's should run syn exclusively.

Forgot to mention... I threw a Fumoto oil drain valve in a couple of the cars in my sig.... Handy little buggers. Will get 3 more to complete the line up. $25 investment

Couple months ago, the drain plug on the 06 Civic stripped - never want to go thru that again

Something to consider...

I change my Odyssey's oil every 6 months with a quality synthetic such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum plus a good quality oil filter. You can run either a 5W-20 or 0W-20 according to Honda. For the transmission you may want to do
a 3X drain and fill with drive cycle in between. That should hold you for about 30,000 miles. There is no ATF filter to change. ONLY USE Honda ATF-DW1. Should take little over 3 quarts per change. Also think about changing out the power steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant and spark plugs as
the car is over 80,000 miles. All are easy DIY fixes.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Originally Posted By: Mauro
Being an ex-police surveillance vehicle, i'm sure she's been ridden hard and put away wet a few times!

I'm not familiar with Canadian police vehicles... is this the typical state trooper ride?(If so that is kinda funny) Used in high speed chases, etc?
smile.gif

I did a background check on the vehicle and it was owned by the RCMP (equivalent to your State Troopers) from day one and used as a surveillance van. I picked it up on Monday and overall pretty good condition. A few dings and scratches but nothing that can't fixed. Oil didn't look bad but a good thing i changed the trans fluid. Just dumped it once and i might do it again in the spring just to clean things out a little more. Love the space!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SF0059
From everything I've read, Honda specs their OEM oil filters to run higher flow v. higher filtration. That may be something to consider if you are thinking about using a denser filter media.

I haven't changed the oil in our Ody yet, but when I do I am planning on using the OEM A02 filters. I'm not completely thrilled with the construction, but I know the flow rate will be correct for the motor and not too restrictive for the oil pump.

BTW, planning on using Mazda 0w-20 w/Moly on the first oil change. Definitely stay on top of the tranny maintenance. Better too much than not enough with these...

When I picked up the trans fluid from my local dealer, also grabbed an A02 filter (can't find A01 here). When i got home, realized that it's the same filter as used on the CRV 2.4 4Cyl (have a big stash of PureOne for my wife's CRV). Ended up putting PP 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back