Hyundai OEM Filter specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool! Nice to finally see the Hyundai oil filter specs. Also a fairly inefficient OEM filter.

Wow, I didn't know knockoff oil filters were a thing.

A few years back, I did buy a 6-pack of Hyundai oil filters off Ebay. I think they were from a dealership, but hopefully they were the real deal. Used them all up with the recommended 7,500 mile OCI when I was under warranty.

I've since gone back to Purolator filters because they're easier to find.

Funny, I've watch this Hyundai yt several times and never paid attention to the efficiency spec listed.

Safe to say though at 99.2% > 50um, most any of the major( Fram, Purolator, Wix/NG) oil filters maker's silicone adbv filters are more efficient than the oem.

Like they say in the YouTube video at 1:00, you can easily spot fake filters by looking for misspellings in Korean warning label on filters. Easy only if you can read Korean!
smile.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEfmPFRaoNo

Aha! Many here have suspected that Hyundia/KIA was using the spaghetti strainer filters like Honda and Toyota. Now we know it is true and not just speculation.

I bet this is part of the "Hyundai knock" syndrome on some of their vehicles with aftermarket filters.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Safe to say though at 99.2% > 50um, most any of the major( Fram, Purolator, Wix/NG) oil filters maker's silicone adbv filters are more efficient than the oem.

Yep, seems those major brand filters are always more efficient than the major OEM brands (Honda, Toyota, Honda, etc).

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Aha! Many here have suspected that Hyundia/KIA was using the spaghetti strainer filters like Honda and Toyota. Now we know it is true and not just speculation.

I bet this is part of the "Hyundai knock" syndrome on some of their vehicles with aftermarket filters.

I think the "Hyundia Knock" has more to do with weak oil pumps, leaky ADBVs and sensitive oiling systems than it has to do with filters. I also believe some of the "HK" might be related to people inadvertently using counterfeit filters that are complete junk.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

I think the "Hyundia Knock" has more to do with weak oil pumps, leaky ADBVs and sensitive oiling systems than it has to do with filters. I also believe some of the "HK" might be related to people inadvertently using counterfeit filters that are complete junk.

I heard that its a very sensetive oiling system. My sonata is quite picky about its filters always much quieter on OEM.

And I just bought another stash of Hyundai OEM filters. Got em from the local Hyundai dealer. Heavy for the size.

While looking for some H/K oem filter specs, I was brought to this thread and the youtube from which those specs are obtained. Upon further inspection, I noticed something about the youtube at 1:32 of the video. While the video shows ~99%>50um for the Hyundai oem, the sound appears to have edited/clipped out the micron level for the filters' efficiency. It seems fairly obvious now, and perhaps a reason why after watching this yt before I never noticed/noted the efficiency. I'm now thinking the quoted efficiency spec is unreliable. Could be better, or worse, but I wouldn't quote the yt now as an authoritative source for H/K oil filter efficiency. My .02

While looking for some H/K oem filter specs, I was brought to this thread and the youtube from which those specs are obtained. Upon further inspection, I noticed something about the youtube at 1:32 of the video. While the video shows ~99%>50um for the Hyundai oem, the sound appears to have edited/clipped out the micron level for the filters' efficiency.

Even though the video speaker only said the genuine filter "showed a 99% filtration rate at filtration tests", the visual in the video showed the little chart with "99.2% > 50 microns". It think the H/K oil filters are right in there with Honda and Toyota as seen on the Amsoil filtration comparison bar chart that's posted frequently.

Also, I was kind of surprised in the video segment 1:05~1:15 that they said the coil spring used in the fake filters "when under pressure is more likely to cause oil leaks". Guess I don't see the mechanism involved to say why that would be.

I saw the filtration spec listed, I'm just not familiar with the phraseolology, " 'at' filtration tests". Must be some kind of Korean expression/interpretation that gets lost in translation. So perhaps not an edit.

I agree that a coil spring would be no less able to the element and adbv in place and firmly against the base plate. In fact, Wix and Baldwin/Clarcor would beg to differ. It is curious that all China made oil filters have coil retainers though.

I agree that a coil spring would be no less able to the element and adbv in place and firmly against the base plate. In fact, Wix and Baldwin/Clarcor would beg to differ. It is curious that all China made oil filters have coil retainers though.

Yep, I would think a big heavy coil spring would be more reliable (unlike maybe some cheaply made leaf springs), and not allow the guts of the filter to come loose.

I have recently opened a couple of Wix made Napa Silvers recently with a coil spring, both were under more compression than anything I've opened with a leaf spring thus far.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I agree that a coil spring would be no less able to hold the element and adbv in place and firmly against the base plate. In fact, Wix and Baldwin/Clarcor would beg to differ. It is curious that all China made oil filters have coil retainers though.

Yep, I would think a big heavy coil spring would be more reliable (unlike maybe some cheaply made leaf springs), and not allow the guts of the filter to come loose.

Agreed. And in Wix/Napa Gold's case it must hold the thread end bypass unit firmly against the filter element. And just speculation but I'd think, though perhaps not significant, a coil spring would cost more per unit than the leaf variety.

Well That's why I don't use oem Hyundai oil filters. Garbage just like the rest of the car. I Cant wait for the retard at the Hyundai parts and service desk to tell me I should be only using Hyundai filters one more time. Now I got a real reason to laugh in his face.

Originally Posted By: waltywalt
Well That's why I don't use oem Hyundai oil filters. Garbage just like the rest of the car. I Cant wait for the retard at the Hyundai parts and service desk to tell me I should be only using Hyundai filters one more time. Now I got a real reason to laugh in his face.

Ha! Stupidest thing I have heard yet today.

Hyundai's are great cars. They have surpassed Toyota, and now are proven to have the lowest total cost of ownership of any vehicle on the U.S. market.

Hyundai oil filters are built like a tank. They are made by Dongwoo, a Korean subsidiary of Mann Hummel. If they made the spin on filters to fit my vehicles, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

No salv your wrong. Check out the jd power awards for vehicals. Hyundai sucks. The cars a joke. I don't care if the oil filters 50 pounds. Weight don't mean anything. When the filter sucks it sucks plain and simple. Oh by the way when Hyundai says you should use ony Hyundai parts because of a tsb claiming a ticking noise in there engines bhow come ive used kn and pur1 and ultras with no ticking noise. Just another lie by Hyundai.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back