Trouble with Mobil 1 oil filter!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil about 1 month ago in my wifes 2002 Camaro Z28 and a few days ago I noticed a small drop or 2 of oil on the garage floor. In the last couple of days the drops truned into a small puddle so tonight I crawled under the Camaro to see what the problem was. I found what I'm sure was a bad oil filter . The oil seems to coming from the oil filter gasket and none was any higher and the blow back all streamed lined from the oil filter base.
I went to Napa and bought a Napa gold and installed it and topped it off with Mobil 1 5w30. After I dirve the Camaro around I'll have a look and make sure it is not leaking any more. I should know in a day or 2 if it was a bad filter or not! I think I'm going to stay away from Mobil 1's filters from now on because of their flow problems and now this problem(I think). Napa (WIX) should be a good replacment!

Assume that you tried to tighten the filter first before assuming it was a bad gasket? Myself, I use a few turns of the wrench, too many people have leaks from Quick Lubes that hand tighten etc.

I always tighten my filters snugly by hand, and have never had a filter leak on me yet. Even when I've just put them on relatively loosely by hand I have found the filter then somehow gets tighter on it's own by the end of the interval, I've never had one loosen up.

Hehehe, I'll never put an oil filter on with a wrench. I've seen too many people put them on with a wrench & then can't get them back off. They end up twisting & crushing the filter. Then they'll poke a hole in it with a screw-driver and try to get it off that way. They end up with a torn-up filter and jagged metal egdes. A real mess
thumbsdown.gif

Nope, for me it's the old 3/4 of a turn after the gasket touches (you start to feel a bit of resistance). I've never had a leak except for the time I didn't clean the surface off for the gasket to seal to.

I have had an amsoil filter leak on the seam where the base plate is crimped to the can and I used to work at a forklift dealership and remember a whole batch of clarklift branded filters leaked at the same place" don't know who made them" also had some really expensive transmission filters do the same thing. some thing gets messed up on the machine that makes the seam??? Try to return the filter it may be bad . Stuff happens.

I have had one filter leak in 40 years of filter installations. Rub your finger over the engine gasket housing to check for dirt. Inspect the rubber gasket. Lube on the gasket. 3/4 to 1 turn after [qb]contact[/bq] Hard to imagine a leak if you do these things. Tighting too tight with no lub is a recipe for leaking.

Clean the gasket mating surface.

Lubricate the rubber gasket.

Tighen (by hand only) as tight as you can get it.

I've never had one leak, come loose, or have trouble getting it off.

I'm carfull to make sure that the gasket is clean and also where it meets metal. I found no other faults in the filter other then a small spot in the gasket that looked "bowed" or pulled away from the filter.

I bought the 1042.

When I put on a new filter I hand tighten it as hard as I can and then turn it 3/4 to 1 full turn with a wrench. That Mobil 1 was tight!

quote:

Originally posted by Chris B.:
I'm carfull to make sure that the gasket is clean and also where it meets metal. I found no other faults in the filter other then a small spot in the gasket that looked "bowed" or pulled away from the filter.

Sometimes stuff happens
frown.gif
. Its possible that the gasket came not seated in the groove from the factory. Also less likely is that there could have been something between the gasket and the filter housing (underneath the gasket). If you are really paranoid you can remove the gasket before installing and check that
grin.gif
. I hate to say I have done that already.
blush.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back