Best Equivalent for Fram PH8A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to change the oil in a big boat (1986 Tiara 3600) that has twin 454 Crusader engines of the same vintage. For some reason, these GM engines receive Ford remote oil filter housings. The current filters on the engines are Fram PH8A.

What would you guys recommend? I see M1-301's are an equivalent. I see Napa Gold's are 1515....do they have a Platinum filter that would fit these engines? I'm not seeing it when I search.

The only Purolator I see listed is L30001. Do they make a P1 filter that would fit the bill? Or a Purolator Synthetic?

Thanks in advance for your help. I'm a noob when it comes to finding filters, especially for something off-the-wall like a marine engine.

The PureOne for this application would be a PL30001.

A Wix Platinum (which should be the same as a NAPA Platinum) would be a 51515XP. A NAPA Platinum would be a 41515.

For NAPA Platinum series, take the Gold number and add a 4 to the front. For PureOne, the prefix is PL instead of L. Puro Synth. are PSL.

PureOne - PL30001:
http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PL30001-...eywords=pl30001

Puro. Synthetic - PSL30001:
http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-PSL30001-Synthetic-Spin-On-Filter/dp/B007BXCO0I

WIX Platinum - 51515XP:
http://www.amazon.com/WIX-51515XP-XP-Oil...eywords=51515xp

NAPA Platinum - 41515:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catalo...1515_0327158273

Last edited:
Bang for the buck? Motorcraft FL-1A.

A little nicer? Napa Gold 51515, or Fram TG TG8A. Pure One PL30001.

Top tier Platinum or Fram Ultra.

Napa guy said this morning that Golds are going on sale tomorrow for 3 bucks and change! Beat that!

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Napa guy said this morning that Golds are going on sale tomorrow for 3 bucks and change! Beat that!

Do you know if this is just for your store? If this is at my store too, I'll have to grab a bunch.

Originally Posted By: redhat

Do you know if this is just for your store? If this is at my store too, I'll have to grab a bunch.

I dunno for sure but I'm not aware of them running anything other than the nationally advertised stuff at that store.

Fram Ultra would be an XG8A.

Ultra/Extended Guard: XG
ToughGuard: TG
Extraguard (OCOD): PH

I run the PL30001 on my Cherokee, works great-but for a marine (damp) application I would run something with a thicker can, like a Bosch Premium, Fram Ultra, NAPA Platinum, or even a Bosch D+. I run the Bosch Premium on my 350 Mag Mercruiser, works great.

Originally Posted By: stchman
Use one of the following:

Motocraft FL-1A
Wix 51515/Napa 1515
Purolator PL30001/L30001

This.. My preference would be the Motorcraft.

If you're interested in synthetic filters, my top 3 choices in order would be:

Tie for best: Amsoil EAO and Royal Purple (RP in that size is a 30-8A- note use of Fram nomenclature). These top the list because the media is good, screen-backed, has great filtration numbers, and the cans could just about stop a .22 slug.

Next: Fram Ultra in 8A size

Third: Purolator synthetic (30001 size)

All of those are great, and the Fram is the best bang for the buck. Fram doesn't get top slot because of its plastic bypass valve poppet- not really a problem IMO, but just not the best possible design. Puro has a thin can- again not expected to be a problem, but noted.

If you go conventional, I'd pick a PL30001. Used them on everything before I started using synthetic filters. I've had mixed luck with Wix- the problemati ones had very slow drainback like their ADBV's don't seal 100%.

Bang for the buck? Motorcraft FL-1A.

A little nicer? Napa Gold 51515, or Fram TG TG8A. Pure One PL30001.

Top tier Platinum or Fram Ultra.

Napa Gold less than $4 BOOM BABY!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

All of those are great, and the Fram is the best bang for the buck. Fram doesn't get top slot because of its plastic bypass valve poppet- not really a problem IMO, but just not the best possible design. Puro has a thin can- again not expected to be a problem, but noted.

The bypass valve in the Fram is not "plastic", it's high temperature nylon. I see nothing wrong with Fram's bypass valve design, and they do major life testing on the design.

Since you're using a remote setup, would you have the room for the Motorcraft FL-299, Puro L40017, or Wix 51773?

Bigger filter with same specs = more media, more oil = happier engines.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

The bypass valve in the Fram is not "plastic", it's high temperature nylon. I see nothing wrong with Fram's bypass valve design, and they do major life testing on the design.

Nylon is "plastic" though - specifically a thermoplastic.

Well they say it is "glass impregnated nylon" to be more specific.

All I know is with all the Fram bashing on the web I've never seen a defective or broken one, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back