They Call it "Lucas" Oil Stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Did I read that correctly, 7 quarts of makeup oil? Whoo weee.

Yes, it leaks oil... It used to leak more before I replaced the rear main seal, then my front accessory cover plug was leaking, so no the leak is much smaller, but I believe Its coming from the front cover it self. Adding 7qts of delvac doesn't cost enough to worry about tearing the front end all apart to fix the leak. Since I had bought 8gal for $10 ea.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: MrQuackers
19.45 what?

That's a heavy 50-weight
crazy2.gif

Ok, are you saying that's an issue? I've never had any excessive engine noise including down in the negatives, I've never had any oil psi issues, other than being a little high in winter. I just want to learn what's best for my engine and try to get it to survive as long as possible, well at least untill I get my 6.7 built to drop in.

Originally Posted By: dixon700
19.45 what?

That's a heavy 50-weight
crazy2.gif

Ok, are you saying that's an issue? I've never had any excessive engine noise including down in the negatives, I've never had any oil psi issues, other than being a little high in winter. I just want to learn what's best for my engine and try to get it to survive as long as possible, well at least untill I get my 6.7 built to drop in.

I'm just saying that the Lucas has taken the oil up at least another full grade in viscosity. And given that its cold-flow properties are likely far from spectacular, I'm betting it is like pumping molasses in the winter.

I'd expect your oil pressure to be high given the above.

I'd leave the Lucas out and just run the Delvac IMHO. You are diluting an excellent product with a thickener.

19.45 what?

That's a heavy 50-weight
crazy2.gif

I'm just saying that the Lucas has taken the oil up at least another full grade in viscosity. And given that its cold-flow properties are likely far from spectacular, I'm betting it is like pumping molasses in the winter.

I'd expect your oil pressure to be high given the above.

I'd leave the Lucas out and just run the Delvac IMHO. You are diluting an excellent product with a thickener.

I've always heard good things about Lucas.. I'm kind of worried now if I quit using it my seals will really start leaking and I'm kind of worried about my hot idle oil psi. It's only about 25psi now. So the synthetic Lucas gives me nothing that the delvac doesn't?

Should I mention my truck is far from stock? S363 over s475 compound turbos had 75% over injectors and now going to be 100% overs, heavier 110lb valve springs, large stroker cp3, and lots of other odds and ends, but the head has never been off I'm running a stock bottom end. My head is studded though. My truck regularly sees 1600* egts, 65psi boost, and 4000+ rpms. I wasn't sure if the fact that it gets beat like a red headed step child and makes plenty of power to hurt things would effect anything.

You can't base something off testimonials; you have to base it off science. The scientific facts tells us that Lucas Oil Stabilizer is snake oil. People will claim that their engine ran better on just about anything. Humans are quite prone to the power of suggestion, and additive companies are seasoned and crafty in their marketing to the public; preying on the ill-informed and overly optimistic.

-"There's a sucker born every minute."

Last edited:

I've always heard good things about Lucas.. I'm kind of worried now if I quit using it my seals will really start leaking and I'm kind of worried about my hot idle oil psi. It's only about 25psi now. So the synthetic Lucas gives me nothing that the delvac doesn't?

Good things from whom? Certainly not CAT, Detroit, Cummins, International....etc. The Lucas additives have no factory endorsements or approvals.

What's factory spec for your hot idle? If it is low, you have wear. And that's yet another indication that the Lucas hasn't helped
wink.gif

The Lucas makes your oil heavier. But it also dilutes the excellent additive package, viscosity characteristics...etc of the Delvac product. A product that DOES carry numerous OEM approvals (unlike the Lucas). So no, you are not making your oil better, you are making it worse.

Should I mention my truck is far from stock? S363 over s475 compound turbos had 75% over injectors and now going to be 100% overs, heavier 110lb valve springs, large stroker cp3, and lots of other odds and ends, but the head has never been off I'm running a stock bottom end. My head is studded though. My truck regularly sees 1600* egts, 65psi boost, and 4000+ rpms. I wasn't sure if the fact that it gets beat like a red headed step child and makes plenty of power to hurt things would effect anything.

What are your oil temperatures? That's going to be the deciding factor as to whether you need a heavier lubricant or not. If they are much higher than stock, stepping it up a grade to a heavier Diesel-spec oil might make sense. But then so would just adding an oil cooler (or a bigger oil cooler) to bring the temps back into the stock range.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I won't let a bottle of lucas anything within 10 feet of my engines.

Agreed. This stuff is junk. Someone gave me a big bottle of LUCL, and I haven't noticed any improvement from using that either. Lucas is all hype.

Good things from whom? Certainly not CAT, Detroit, Cummins, International....etc. The Lucas additives have no factory endorsements or approvals.

What's factory spec for your hot idle? If it is low, you have wear. And that's yet another indication that the Lucas hasn't helped
wink.gif

The Lucas makes your oil heavier. But it also dilutes the excellent additive package, viscosity characteristics...etc of the Delvac product. A product that DOES carry numerous OEM approvals (unlike the Lucas). So no, you are not making your oil better, you are making it worse.

I don't know anyone from any of the diesel engine manufacturers. Is there any oem approved additives. I believe I'm still above specs for minimum oil psi. Min 25 at hot idle and 60psi cruising around 2k rpm. My next Oic I guess I'll have to run straight delvac and see how my analysis comes out.

Last edited:
2013101395144450_zps5054c5b8.jpg
Here is a photo of my past 3 analysis. Took a pic of the PDF and then linked a pic.

Here is just delvac 1300 PHYSICAL TESTS Standard/ranges -a Mobil Delvac 1300 TBN, mg KOH/g, (ASTM D2896) 9.66 Viscosity @ 100ºC, cSt, (ASTM D445) 14.4 Viscosity @ 40ºC, cSt, ASTM D445 10829 108 Viscosity Index (ASTM D2270) 136 Viscosity @ -20ºC mPa s (cP) (ASTM D5293) 6,121 ELEMENTAL ANALYSIS -b Additives Calcium 1,347 Magnesium 911 Phosphorus, ppm 877 Zinc, ppm 1,012 Molybdenum, ppm 48 Barium, ppm
Boron, ppm 65 Silicon, ppm-d 6 Potassium, ppm

Last edited:

What are your oil temperatures? That's going to be the deciding factor as to whether you need a heavier lubricant or not. If they are much higher than stock, stepping it up a grade to a heavier Diesel-spec oil might make sense. But then so would just adding an oil cooler (or a bigger oil cooler) to bring the temps back into the stock range.

I do not measure my oil temperature so I do not know.

I would install an oil temperature gauge, it is useful on something that is as far from stock as your vehicle (though it is useful on stock vehicles too, just moreso on the non-stock ones).

And I wasn't implying that you knew anybody from the big diesel manufacturers. Simply that NONE of them endorse the use of, nor do they approve the use of additives like Lucas in their engines.

Ok I see. I didn't really want to add anymore gauges in my truck since I already have 6 additional to stock... Something I don't understand is everybody is saying that the Lucas dilutes the additives in the delvac oil, but why is my calcium, phosphorus, and zinc higher than plain delvac?

Yes, but I seen a voa for that in another thread and there was nothin in it. One thing was 4ppm. It sure seems that I'll be sticking to just delvac 1300 and possibly run less than my typical 8k interval. Like 6-6500mi

According to a Blackstone voa motorkote looks like a light 20wt oil with a little detergent. All zeros except for 4ppm of boron.

According to a Blackstone voa motorkote looks like a light 20wt oil with a little detergent. All zeros except for 4ppm of boron.

Have you done a VOA for the oil you are currently running?

No because I'm not sure how I would give the correct ratio for a voa. My truck takes about 12.5qts and I put 1/2gal Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer and the past 2 oil changes I've added the 12oz of motorkote. I'm currently running the same amounts and when I get my Oci up near the 8k again I will be sending in another sample and possibly cutting back on the Oci if wear metals are that high again. Should I mention most of my oil is from a large bulk tank of delvac from work? Also some times the make up oil may not be delvac, it could of been delo 400 or rotella t. There has been Lucas jugs refilled with new oil and the drivers don't take it, and I'm not going to throw out $13 of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back