How long to warm up the car before an oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there's no right answer, but I'm wonder what you guys do.

I remember when I'd collect samples to send to Blackstone, their recommendation was to drive at least 20 miles before collecting a sample. I've got a one-way commute over 40 miles, so my preferred time to do an oil change was a bit after I got home from work. However, my wife isn't too happy about it an asks why do I need to do it "right now". So sometimes I'm stuck doing it on the weekends before the rest of the family is up. I'll probably warm it up for 4 miles, although we've got hills around here and I'll do some nice hill climbs, which should warm it up well.

I've heard all sorts of recommendations, including changing the oil with a cold engine to reduce the amount of mess. I've never done a cold oil change, although back when I did an extended oil change on a relatively low mileage car, I'd change the filter every 3 months when it was cold.

Four miles is better than no warm up. Maybe let it idle when you return from the trip and wait till the fans kick on. Turn car off and do it then.

Consumer reports says only warm is needed, not hot. Also keep in mind that there is no harm in waiting 30 minutes or an hour to change the filter so things can cool down and you can handle them easily. I have had HOT filters and a filter right next to a HOT exhaust.

Without an oil temp gauge, its all speculation. Personally Id like 6-8 miles at least, so the water has ben up to temp for a while.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w

I remember when I'd collect samples to send to Blackstone, their recommendation was to drive at least 20 miles before collecting a sample. I've got a one-way commute over 40 miles, so my preferred time to do an oil change was a bit after I got home from work. However, my wife isn't too happy about it an asks why do I need to do it "right now". So sometimes I'm stuck doing it on the weekends before the rest of the family is up. I'll probably warm it up for 4 miles, although we've got hills around here and I'll do some nice hill climbs, which should warm it up well.

I've heard all sorts of recommendations, including changing the oil with a cold engine to reduce the amount of mess. I've never done a cold oil change, although back when I did an extended oil change on a relatively low mileage car, I'd change the filter every 3 months when it was cold.

Blackstone probably wants the oil sufficiently mixed so they get a get representative sample of the oil, rather than oil with the particulates settled.

IMO, cold is better because all of the oil has drained into the pan. If the car has been driven, you've got oil still floating around in the engine.

Originally Posted By: solorexpy
Originally Posted By: y_p_w

Blackstone probably wants the oil sufficiently mixed so they get a get representative sample of the oil, rather than oil with the particulates settled.

IMO, cold is better because all of the oil has drained into the pan. If the car has been driven, you've got oil still floating around in the engine.

Cold is not really better. If the oil it hot it all runs out in a matter of a few minutes and help prevents dry starts from draining all the oil out.

I've always changed it after a long trip, when I'm sure the oil is hot. You know, get home, park the car, get the ramps, and get that oil out. If burning myself on the filter or exhaust was a concern, I'd just get the oil draining, and then let it drain a while. With the hood open the exhaust and filter usually would cool down pretty fast. I've changed cold oil plenty of times at work (cars that were dropped off overnight in January)and it's slow, and I feel like you get less out than you would if it were hot.

Originally Posted By: solorexpy

I have wondered about this every time I take a sample. Most times I grab it in the middle, but I also question whether or not you would really want to know how bad the oil is by grabbing the first of it and capturing "whatever is in there".
21.gif

Half warmed up might have more fuel/ condensation in it?

I'd just get all set up ahead of time with ramps, wrench, catch pan. Get home from work, start the drain, grab your sample, go inside and say hi.

Plan to do it on a day you have gone for a run , get home let it sit for about 1/2 hour for things to drain into the pan and it cool some and have at it !

Around the block once. Does not need to be at max temp, only good and warm. Not the the olden days when the straight 30 weight looked like molasses.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Half warmed up might have more fuel/ condensation in it?

I'd just get all set up ahead of time with ramps, wrench, catch pan. Get home from work, start the drain, grab your sample, go inside and say hi.

Good advice!

This is my advice....If you are not taking a sample for B/S, just do it cold first thing in the morning. You will get the same amount of oil out of the car without the hassle. If you turn you car on and run it you might as well just go for a little drive up those hills and get it good and hot. I just dont like the middle ground on this one...lol So go either hot or cold but dont warm it up part way. It is just preference though.

I don't know how much it matters, but I like mine scalding hot when it comes out. I usually beat on a little bit before pulling into town, then drain it as soon as possible once in the garage.

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Plan to do it on a day you have gone for a run , get home let it sit for about 1/2 hour for things to drain into the pan and it cool some and have at it !
Absolutely - anyone warming up the car to change the oil is a resource waster - M'swell to do it cold.
"0w20 - goes rite owt the pan like rite Kwick bOi!"

I prefer for it to be completely up to temp, and ran on the highway, but then again.. I like to live life dangerously.. But really.. I feel like it runs out better this way.. FYI.. do this at your own risk

I do it at full operating temperatures. Of course, the vehicles I deal with don't have filters on top of the exhaust or in places where I'm guaranteed to get a gallon of oil on myself when removing the filter or draining the pan.

There are times and reasons and benefits to doing it cold, of course. I certainly don't mean Saskatchewan record cold winter day cold, but as in sitting overnight in tolerable ambient temperatures.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
How hot is too hot for Mighty-vac kind of systems?

I changed oil in my E430 with Mityvac within 4-5 minutes after 14-15 miles highway drive, the suction tube was fairly hot when touch my guess is the temperature was about 140-160F.

The plastic tubes are fairly rigid so it didn't collapse with high temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back