Ultra8 Oil Filter /Nippon For Honda CUT OPEN NEW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: David1
Here is a Ultra-8 aka NIPPON oil Filter for Honda.

model number 15400-PR3-004 & 15400-POH-305

First this filter is made in CHINA... However it seems to be well made, Ill let you see the pics. It has a silicone ADBV and the bypass is at the bottom. Also the filter media is very well spaced out nicely as in no big gaps.

Tell me what you think?

Also the reason I cut this filter open new is b.c I already have a FRAM ULTRA on my car and have a K&N waiting for the next Oil change so I wasn't going to use this anytime soon and figured perhaps some people here might want to see inside one of the Ultra 8 filters NEW

2iqipgg.jpg

5dl5pd.jpg

12175hd.jpg

xd87l2.jpg

WOW, the Chinese sure have a lot of uses for those throwing stars. (Leaf spring)
lol.gif

Thanx for the dissection and pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Here is a Ultra-8 aka NIPPON oil Filter for Honda.

model number 15400-PR3-004 & 15400-POH-305

First this filter is made in CHINA... However it seems to be well made, Ill let you see the pics. It has a silicone ADBV and the bypass is at the bottom. Also the filter media is very well spaced out nicely as in no big gaps.

Tell me what you think?

Also the reason I cut this filter open new is b.c I already have a FRAM ULTRA on my car and have a K&N waiting for the next Oil change so I wasn't going to use this anytime soon and figured perhaps some people here might want to see inside one of the Ultra 8 filters NEW

2iqipgg.jpg

5dl5pd.jpg

12175hd.jpg

xd87l2.jpg

WOW, the Chinese sure have a lot of uses for those throwing stars. (Leaf spring)
lol.gif

Thanx for the dissection and pics.
thumbsup2.gif

Your welcome,

yea that spring thing is different, but its a very well made filter.

I would have no problem using one.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: sayjac
No need to roll the dice on this one.

...... Where are they even sold down south? .....

I don't know. Doing a google search including bitog I saw a mention of them being sold at Napa's in the States, can't say though as I've never seen them at my local Napa. I didn't see where the OP mentioned where his was purchased.

I'm not saying U8/Nippon doesn't look well made, based on the pics it does 'look' well made. The lower tier Advance Auto DriveWorks filter also made in China filter looks well made too. But it too has unknown efficiency specs. If included as part of an oil and filter promo that I was interested in, I'd use the DW or the U8 under the same circumstance. I would not purchase either though at retail to save a very small amount if that, over a Classic for the DW, or P1 or Napa Gold for this U8.

I'm no anti China zealot, but in this case with all the quality known efficiency spec US made oil filters like P1 and Napa Gold no need for me to buy/use the U8. As an example, local Napa is going to be having their semi annual 40% off Napa Gold sale, I can buy my filters applications for ~$4 or less.

From looking at the filter as i saw it I can say its a very well made filter.... I can stay that 100%

Your efforts are greatly appreciated, particularly since I wondered about this filter for a long time. My comments aren't about this filter itself, they're a complaint against NAPA. Oil filters up here are usually overpriced as it is, and NAPA is one of the worst offenders.

Like I said, I'd use one without much hesitation. I'd just have to be able to find it at a decent price. I never asked NAPA, since I already know they're significantly overpriced on every other option they sell. Made in China might be a warning to me, but really, avoiding it altogether is next to impossible, and it's better to be fair about things.

Ultra 8 is part of the altrom imports family. They are suppose to be manufactured to factory specs right down to the color, their Kia filters match the oem blue.

Originally Posted By: Texican
Ultra 8 is part of the altrom imports family. They are suppose to be manufactured to factory specs right down to the color, their Kia filters match the oem blue.

Actually if you look on the box it says HONDA OEM right on it.

I dont see KIA anyplace on it.

However I know on the Mazda Air Filters for this brand they say Mazada

So its possible for KIA oil Filters they could say KIA

Originally Posted By: Garak
By the way, any chance of posting a pic or two of the can itself?

Sure Ill show boths sides and even the TOP

2j1lzdw.jpg

21jtbtw.jpg

256796w.jpg

r0cs5w.jpg

x1xgm8.jpg

I hope I covered all the pics

Quote:

So because they match can color you're saying they are Kia OEM or that they are "supposed to" match Hyundai/Kia oem specs? Big difference. Hyundai/Kia filters have the Hyundai/Kia name/logo printed right on the can and they are the only authentic OEM H/K filters I'm aware of.

Same goes for Honda filters, their OEM's have the Honda name and logo printed right on the can. The OP's filter has no such designation and thus until proven otherwise is nothing more than an aftermarket filter made in China with completely unknown specs. To imply/state otherwise is simply disingenuous imo. Just trying to keep it real here.

Quote:

Perhaps you could post another pic where it says "Honda OEM", because all I see posted says "For Honda". Big difference.

I never said they were the same, the way the look in appearance and specs are supposed to be the same. The color matches but they say Nippon on them.

Not to belabor the point but the term 'knockoff' comes to mind when I read things like supposed to be manufactured to "factory specs right down to the color". But, other than appearance there are no specific efficiency spec(s) published to back up such an alleged claim. If that is the case, how would one know if the filters meet or exceed OEM spec?

And then the OP went on to claim the U8 says Honda OEM on the box. That implies that the U8 filters are endorsed by Honda as OEM and made to Honda specs. I don't see that in any of the many posted pics, either on the box or the filter indicating that to be the case. If it's there seems it would have been easily seen in one the many pics posted.

Just trying to make sure the U8 is accurately described and not have hearsay represented as fact.

Quote:

So because they match can color you're saying they are Kia OEM or that they are "supposed to" match Hyundai/Kia oem specs? Big difference. Hyundai/Kia filters have the Hyundai/Kia name/logo printed right on the can and they are the only authentic OEM H/K filters I'm aware of.

Same goes for Honda filters, their OEM's have the Honda name and logo printed right on the can. The OP's filter has no such designation and thus until proven otherwise is nothing more than an aftermarket filter made in China with completely unknown specs. To imply/state otherwise is simply disingenuous imo. Just trying to keep it real here.

Quote:

Perhaps you could post another pic where it says "Honda OEM", because all I see posted says "For Honda". Big difference.

Right here

2iqipgg.jpg

I have never seen another other after market filter like FRAM or MANN or STP or K&N or any say HONDA on them

Again, "For Honda" is NOT the same as Honda OEM. That's not a nitpick it's a fact. Exactly what I said in the quoted post.

If it makes you feel better that the box says 'for Honda',' great. Perhaps that's for folks that don't know how to read a filter application guide. Still doesn't make it Honda OEM no matter how you spin it. Honda OEM is A01 or A02. The U8 is an aftermarket filter application.

Not to belabor the point but the term 'knockoff' comes to mind when I read things like supposed to be manufactured to "factory specs right down to the color". But, other than appearance there are no specific efficiency spec(s) published to back up such an alleged claim. If that is the case, how would one know if the filters meet or exceed OEM spec?

And then the OP went on to claim the U8 says Honda OEM on the box. That implies that the U8 filters are endorsed by Honda as OEM and made to Honda specs. I don't see that in any of the many posted pics, either on the box or the filter indicating that to be the case. If it's there seems it would have been easily seen in one the many pics posted.

Just trying to make sure the U8 is accurately described and not have hearsay represented as fact.

You are correct, there are no published specs for oem filters. So using the word "knockoff" and your logic every oil filter out there that is not a oem filter is a "knockoff". And when the word "supposed" is used in a post I don't think anyone takes that as to mean a fact.

Originally Posted By: Texican

You are correct, there are no published specs for oem filters. So using the word "knockoff" and your logic every oil filter out there that is not a oem filter is a "knockoff"...

Negative. An aftermarket filter that doesn't represent or claim to be anything other the brand that it is not a knockoff (eg., Fram, Wix, Purolator). Included in that category are the many aftermarket filters that also publish their efficiency specs as related to ISO testing.

The point is hearsay claiming a filter is OEM or even meets oem specs without any authentication is not verifiable. In this case the U8 has no published specs and matching the color of the OEM doesn't change that.

Bottom line, there is no proof posted here that the U8 is OEM for either Honda or Hyundai/Kia as appeared to be implied/stated in this thread.

As said, if one likes the U8 because of how it looks or it's price or some other reason, no problem. But that's different than claiming it's an OEM filter without proof.

I'm with sayjac on this. "For Honda" on the box has nothing to do with anything other than to signify the part number is intended for a Honda application. Or maybe to fool people into thinking it has Honda approvals. If it was Honda OEM approved, it would certainly be marked differently. And it would be an option at the Honda dealer parts department... which apparently it is not at this time.

It might be fine. It might not. It's not a recognized brand name. Looks OK but so do those ersatz Rolexes you can buy off table vendors at the local swap meet. Functionality is an unknown and in the absence of any ability to test or get test specs, and without a recognized brand name to add heft to a presumption of quality, I put stuff like this into the "no name" category. Apparently, there are plenty of people here willing to do the R&D on this so I'll sit back and let that play out before I plunk down any of my money.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
I'm with sayjac on this. "For Honda" on the box has nothing to do with anything other than to signify the part number is intended for a Honda application. Or maybe to fool people into thinking it has Honda approvals. If it was Honda OEM approved, it would certainly be marked differently. And it would be an option at the Honda dealer parts department... which apparently it is not at this time.

It might be fine. It might not. It's not a recognized brand name. Looks OK but so do those ersatz Rolexes you can buy off table vendors at the local swap meet. Functionality is an unknown and in the absence of any ability to test or get test specs, and without a recognized brand name to add heft to a presumption of quality, I put stuff like this into the "no name" category. Apparently, there are plenty of people here willing to do the R&D on this so I'll sit back and let that play out before I plunk down any of my money.

Wait Wait, the ISO specs were on the filter and then shown what they meant.

they had the same testing as baldwin

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen

Wait Wait, the ISO specs were on the filter and then shown what they meant.......

Did you not read Z06 comments in this thread regarding those posted specs? Apparently not. Those are NOT ISO efficiency test specs, but build specs. Much like the term "For Honda" is not the same as Honda OEM as you inaccurately proclaimed, those are not ISO efficiency test specs. Again, big difference.

So again, the U8 posted here is not a Honda OEM filter. What is known, the U8 an aftermarket filter made in China, with no published efficiency ISO test specs.

I also agree with Jim. The 'for Honda' on the box may be "to fool people into thinking it has Honda approvals." And while I never said, the U8 was a knockoff, I said that matching an oem color and also the use of 'for Honda' on the box, makes me think the U8 is trying to appear to be something that it isn't, in this case OEM. Thus as I said, that's the term it brought to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back