Replace Crush Washer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone experienced problems by not replacing the crush washer on the oil drain bolt when the manual recommends a new crush washer be installed when changing the oil?

I have accidentally forgotten to use the new crush washer before. I wouldn't make a habit of it -- it will eventually catch up with you.

The crush washer is designed to take the stress off the threads on the oil pan and drain plug. These are disposable and should be replaced at every OCI. As dparm mentioned, eventually it will catch up with you.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer
Has anyone experienced problems by not replacing the crush washer on the oil drain bolt when the manual recommends a new crush washer be installed when changing the oil?

Yup. One time that I did not replace the crush washer on our old Jetta 2.0, the oil started leaking.

But on some other cars/bikes, I reused the washer and it was fine.

I've never replaced a crush washer on my Cobalt, and haven't had a problem.

On the Subaru, though, the ATF appears to be dripping very slowly from the drain bolt (~1 drop per day), and my guess (hope?) is that a new bolt & washer will fix it.

Originally Posted By: lancerplayer

It will weep after a few uses. But I think you can get 2 out of it.

Fumoto valve.

I replace mine every time and won't buy an oil filter without getting one, too. I also replace them on the trans. and diff. They're literally pennies on the dollar so it's silly not to.

You can generally get a few uses out of them. I don't replace mine every time, but do replace it when I think about it. If you don't have one and you are changing the oil, you should be okay to re-use it.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
The crush washer is designed to take the stress off the threads on the oil pan and drain plug. These are disposable and should be replaced at every OCI. As dparm mentioned, eventually it will catch up with you.

Explain please?

If you torque the bolt every time to the same amount, how would the crush washer take any stress off the threads? 20 ft. lbs., with or without a crush washer, is the same on the bolt threads.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: GSCJR

Explain please?

If you torque the bolt every time to the same amount, how would the crush washer take any stress off the threads? 20 ft. lbs., with or without a crush washer, is the same on the bolt threads.

It's a matter of compression. When you compress a crush washer it's the washer that takes the abuse and not the threads. When you re-use a crush washer the compression is unable to take place and therefore straining the threads. Take notice of the thickness of a used crush washer versus a new one. HTH.

I have never replaced my pan plug crush washer, (on any of my cars) and I have never once seen a drop come out, other than when I am removing the plug.

My "scientific" data says it is unnecessary..

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I have never replaced my pan plug crush washer, (on any of my cars) and I have never once seen a drop come out, other than when I am removing the plug.

My "scientific" data says it is unnecessary..

My experiance has been the same.
I once had a Toyota PU that went for over 500k with 3k OCI's and I don't recall EVER replacing the PLASTIC washer
That was kind of crimped on the bolt.
But this was NOT a crush washer as such.

I do not replace crush washers on spark plugs either.
Never had a problem in over 40 years.

Whether to replace the crush washer depends on it's condition upon removal, what material it is made of and whether or not a small drip when parking the vehicle will be a big deal or not.

I can say that I've replaced very few of them over the many years, but for me a small drip until the next oil change has seldom been a big deal. These days with much more expensive oil, longer oil change intervals and increasingly persnickety neighbors and such regarding oil spots in garages, lots and streets,....it's your call.

My Hyundai is the only vehicle I've owned where if you don't replace the washer it will leak. Before this car I never replaced one.

Also, you have to torque it to the very top of the torque range to get the washer to deform enough to seal. If you torque it at the bottom of the range it can still leak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back