Surf City Garage Black Max VRT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a 02 Trailblazer LT a little over a month ago that was CLEAN inside and out. The only issue with the exterior was the badly faded, chalky plastic trim around the vehicle. I had tried some Black Magic tire shine, as that stuff make my Xterra's trim look pretty good, but it just wasn't working with the trim on the TB. Back to Black worked ok, but didn't last and streaked badly when it rained.

One day I was in Wal Mart and found a product called Black Max VRT made by Surf City Garage. It was about $8 for a bottle and I said what the [censored] and gave it a shot. I applied it to my trim on my lunch break on a sunny day, and man it worked amazingly well. The sun and hot plastic really sucked the product into the plastic and made it look great. I think applying it in the sun on the hot plastic was KEY.

I even used it on the badly faded trim around the inside door handle and it made it look new. A few weeks later, I reapplied a little just to get more product to soak into the plastic and it's held up extremely well over the past month and a half. Black Max VRT claims to offer UV protection also so that's a plus, and water beads up on treated plastic when it rains or when you give your vehicle a quick spray down. All in all if you're looking for a good product to try out for faded trim, I really recommend this one. Made my Trailblazer look a million times better.

Love, love, love Surf City Garage stuff.

I have several and I am not going back to anything else.

Turk, I suspect you've not tried Adam's products before as I'm sure they'd make a believer out of you.

Coincidentally, this product is a lot like Adam's Super VRT which came before it and SCG's detail spray is a lot like Adam's detail spray which came before it. There's a pattern developing here. SCG uses good marketing to get their stuff out there and while their stuff is above average, it's definitely not the best, and how they develop their products is suspect which is why I won't buy them.

I haven't tried any Adam's products. Since I can buy SCG locally, they have given me (2) T-shirts, and several cash rebates, I will continue to purchase them. I got on their mailing list a few years ago when I inquired on one of their products (which they promptly answered my question).

T-shirts and cash rebates. SSG is owned by a real estate investor and it seems they're more about making a splash than dedicated to producing top notch products. Sure Adam's may cost a little more but as best I can tell they're more dedicated to releasing the best possible products that can be obtained in a reasonable price window. Again I'm singling Adam's out because there is an interesting pattern to their products and what SSG releases.

I'll post up some pics of the before, after, and recent so everyone can see how well it's held up. If I can figure out how to post pics lol.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Man, what a hit-piece.

I call foul.

That's fine. While part is my opinion, there are also facts in there. SSG is surely better than most basic products however the previous poster basically said he's loyal because of t-shirts and cash rebates before the products themselves.

^ Wrong. I wouldn't buy Turtle Wax if they gave my a sweatshirt. I wouldn't buy Meg's NXT if it were $4. I only (re)buy products which perform in accordance to their price. I honestly have not used any of their waxes/sealants. I still have too many other products on the shelf. My go-to SCG products are Dash Away, Grime Destroyer, and Leather Rejuvenator. I will continue to buy them. Dash Away is by far the best interior protectant/cleaner AIO that I've used.

I haven't tried any Adam's products, so I can't comment on them. I'm sure they are good. I avoid mail-order as long as I can find quality products locally, or can get in on free shipping deals.

I think you must be the only detailer around that doesn't like NXT. It may not have the best durability but in terms of looks there's not much on the market that can make as much a noticeable difference in terms of looks before and after and probably the best when it comes to hiding swirls. It's even better at hiding defects and producing gloss and depth than many short term glazes which don't offer any protection and are just meant as a gloss enhancement.

NXT 2.0 increases the durability to about 1 month so it's not that bad especially for people who wax often. Some people want ease of use and great looks, some people want durability. For the first crowd NXT is definitely a top contender.

I personally haven't run across a product as easy to use that with only a waxing can produce this dramatic an improvement in looks.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaun_j/7052180547/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: kkreit01
^ Wrong. I wouldn't buy Turtle Wax if they gave my a sweatshirt. I wouldn't buy Meg's NXT if it were $4. I only (re)buy products which perform in accordance to their price. I honestly have not used any of their waxes/sealants. I still have too many other products on the shelf. My go-to SCG products are Dash Away, Grime Destroyer, and Leather Rejuvenator. I will continue to buy them. Dash Away is by far the best interior protectant/cleaner AIO that I've used.

I haven't tried any Adam's products, so I can't comment on them. I'm sure they are good. I avoid mail-order as long as I can find quality products locally, or can get in on free shipping deals.

Fair enough.

I think the Turtle Wax has come along way in the past 5yrs. I have some of there Platinum products and they have produced good results. Is it as good as my PETE'S 53 no.

Fair enough on TW as well. I have used their Platinum liquid, and I would buy it again over NXT.

NXT 2.0 does go on/off easily, smells good, and looks good. That's where the "good" ends. However, it still stains trim, and doesn't last. Thus, I would never spend my money on it over more reasonable sealants/waxes like Duragloss or Collinite. They may not smell as good as NXT, but they perform (last) 2-3x better.

Sort of got off-topic....sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back