2009 Malibu trans oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son has a 2009 Malibu with the 4 cylinder and 100k miles. How do you change the trans fluid? I see where there is a fill plug where it gets checked for level. Is there a drain plug? What about the fluid in the torque converter? Can you pump out he old fluid through the cooler lines like a Ford?

I know that. On my Fords I just use to pump out the trans through the cooler lines, refill and pump it out again. Then top off.

On my 2006, I drop the pan, change the filter and add 7.5 qts of Dex 6. I would do the same and change every 25-30 K. I don't know if you can pump out the atf like a ford, however....I am sure with the trans service machines, pumping out all the fluid is possible.

Unfortunately, GM was too stupid to include a drain plug in the transmission pan, so you have to drop it.

The good news is that aftermarket transmission pans are available that have a drain plug.

I remove the cooler line into the radiator, add a length of hose routed into a five gal bucket and start engine, fluid will flow into the bucket... When flow reduces, I start dumping in a total of two quarts less than a dry fill(varies by trans of course)and let all that pump into the bucket... Be sure to have your bottles open, ready to go when adding the fluid that will be added, as it will be pumped into the torque converter replacing old fluid that flows into bucket... When flow reduces, cut engine, reconnect line, restart and top off... Done... No I haven't dropped a pan in years, unless you suspect a issue it isn't necessary...

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
My son has a 2009 Malibu with the 4 cylinder and 100k miles. How do you change the trans fluid? I see where there is a fill plug where it gets checked for level. Is there a drain plug? What about the fluid in the torque converter? Can you pump out he old fluid through the cooler lines like a Ford?

If you have to ask you should take it in....

look underneath the car for the drain plug. not too familliar with this modek there may not be a plug in which you will need to drop the pan. i would reccomend just a drain and fill make sure to measure how much fluid comes out so you can replenish with the exact amount that was in before assuming your not low on fluid.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
There havent been drain plugs in torque converters since the 1970s.

FWIW Panther cars had them up until around 2000-2001. My mom's 2000 Grand Marquis has the factory trans and converter in it and it has a drain plug on the converter.

My '98 Grand Marquis and '96 F-150 both have converter drain plugs, still I use the trans cooler line method described in my earlier post...

Originally Posted By: TFB1
I remove the cooler line into the radiator, add a length of hose routed into a five gal bucket and start engine, fluid will flow into the bucket... When flow reduces, I start dumping in a total of two quarts less than a dry fill(varies by trans of course)and let all that pump into the bucket... Be sure to have your bottles open, ready to go when adding the fluid that will be added, as it will be pumped into the torque converter replacing old fluid that flows into bucket... When flow reduces, cut engine, reconnect line, restart and top off... Done... No I haven't dropped a pan in years, unless you suspect a issue it isn't necessary...

I like this. Did you get this from TCCA? It is what use to do with my tauruses.

How many quarts does the Malibu take? It looks like you can fill it from the vent tube?

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Originally Posted By: TFB1

I like this. Did you get this from TCCA? It is what use to do with my tauruses.

How many quarts does the Malibu take? It looks like you can fill it from the vent tube?

The GM guys have used this trick for years, learned the method when I pulled a hitch with the general back in the '80s...

No idea how much fluid any GM trans requires these days...

has the fluid been changed before? if its original and black, it may be better to not change it and just drive it till it doesnt move

No it hasn't. There is no easy way to check the fluid. OEM says every 50k. It has 100k and most are highway miles.

Originally Posted By: outdoorsman310
is the transmission having problems? there should be a dipstick

There isn't necessarily one. There is a plug which is used when the car is on an even surface, warm and running. If fluid isnt coming out than you need to add ATF through the fill hole until it dribbles out (not the technical term.) I have an 05 with a 4 cylinder. You need to drop the pan to to a change unless you want to go to a shop for a flush. I recommend changing the filter as well while you have it out. I would keep the OEM gasket unless damaged. Most aftermarkets are not the same quality as the original...

In terms of what fluid to use you can use pretty much anything. Those transmission work very well. Personally I use ST Dex III with a bottle of LGR

There is no dipstick. I may be able to pull a smaple from the vent tube.

Do you know total capacity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back