Jiffylube Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
While Jiffylube was owned by Penzoil-Quaker State, I don't think that had a lot of bearing on what oil and filters they used.

One Jiffylube I had service done at in Denver, Colorado used Sunoco Oils and Mileguard Filters. Jiffylube in Fort Collins, Colorado used Valvoline Oils and Mileguard Filters. Jiffy Lube in Apple Valley, Minnesota used Penzoil and god knows what filter.

I'm guessing you won't find a lot of commonality in responses on this one. Ask for a unused filter and take a look if it concerns you which brand it is. The Penzoil oil would be AOK however!

penzoil are frams i seen on 3 sites so far. since u get chatter why dont u put a quality premium filter in there and ask them to put that in there and see if u find a differnce.

I once asked them who made their filters and they couldn't tell me. The only reason I go there is to document service for the factory warranty. Some have suggested saving oil/filter purchase receipts would do and that the burden of proving oil change neglect would be on the dealer but I don't know if you can count on that. I have changed it myself in the past on a sloping gravel driveway no less and now that I finally have a garage to work in I may get back to doing it and know it's done right and save a few bucks.

Anyone know who the main supplier is for JiffyLube oil filters? I've been getting my oil changed there for years and not given a thought to the type of filter they use thinking they're all basically the same until I started reading this forum. They use Pennzoil around here which is OK and an unbranded filter. I experienced some valve or rod chatter on cold startups this winter and have a sneaking suspicion this may be due to no anti-drainback valve. Since I'm considering a longer change interval (5,000) this has taken on a little more importance. I've never had a problem there with loose drain plugs or leaks from the filter but I will start bringing my own filter which I know to be good if I don't know who makes theirs.

quote:

Originally posted by deejay:
I'm told today by a Jiffy Lube technician they're made by Mighty Guard and they're "just as good as a Fram."

Oh man that's funny. I still overhear people at the auto parts store concude that they better go with the good ol mainstay, Fram!

Just recently I had my oil changed at Texaco/ (about 1500 miles ago) and I usely get it changed at jiffy lube. My moter is now blown on at 80,000 miles. I'm trying to see if maybe the oil filter wasn't changed or the wrong size or something .... Help mw please
shocked.gif

I was a tech at JL in the mid 90s. 90% of our filters were Mileguard which is made by Allied Signal. That name should sound familiar because they make Fram Extra Guard and all of the other Fram filters. I'm sure that its safe to say that most JL oil filters are the equivilent of Fram Extra Guard.

If you believe as the experts do, that Fram Extra Guard is an inferior filter, I suggest buying the filter of your choice at the parts store and having Jiffy Lube throw it on for you.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
While Jiffylube was owned by Penzoil-Quaker State, I don't think that had a lot of bearing on what oil and filters they used.

One Jiffylube I had service done at in Denver, Colorado used Sunoco Oils and Mileguard Filters. Jiffylube in Fort Collins, Colorado used Valvoline Oils and Mileguard Filters. Jiffy Lube in Apple Valley, Minnesota used Penzoil and god knows what filter.

I'm guessing you won't find a lot of commonality in responses on this one. Ask for a unused filter and take a look if it concerns you which brand it is. The Penzoil oil would be AOK however!

When I worked for Jiffy Lube in Ft.Collins Colorado we used Fram. It might have changed though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back