NuFinish - what am I missing out on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been proven by whom? Abrasives are abrasives and particle size makes a difference. That's what the CD test will reveal. If you want to make a belt sander example, try belt sanding with 600 grit vs 60 grit. The 600 will strip the finish, the 60 grit will gouge right through the wood. That's what the CD test is revealing, the grit size of the polish which is nearly impossible for most lay people to assess. So if you think polish grit size doesn't matter then sand your table with 60 grit sandpaper, obviously grit size matters a lot.

The point I'm trying to make is NuFinish is harsh, extremely harsh. If you polish a CD or your paint with Nufinish and compare the finish left behind by a dedicated fine polish vs NuFinish you'll readily see in a bright point source light just how bad a finish NuFinish actually leaves.

Every person I've known who claims NuFinish leaves a good finish changes their mind as soon as I show them what their car looks like under point source lights like in a well lit parking lot at night. The swirls NuFinish leaves are horrendous.

Claiming NuFinish isn't bad for you paint is like claiming rubbing rocks into you paint is harmless because NuFinish's abrasives are among the coarsest I've seen in any polish.

Ask any detailer if they'd regularly use a rubbing compound on their cars. They'll tell you that's a bad idea. Sure it'll clean the paint, but it also unnecessarily abrades the paint because of its harshness. NuFinish's abrasives are even harsher than M105 and M105 is a very strong compound already. Why use a polish that's even more abrasive like NuFinish?

If you really think that I assume price equals better, that's wrong. Price the cost of Meguiars Ultimate Compound and Polish and Collinite. Very reasonable even compared to NuFinish. And those two will provide better and longer lasting protection than NuFinish all the while being gentler on your paint and leaving a much much better surface finish.

Last edited:
Wow, on a site that's dedicated to independent testing and analysis of motor oil, a lot is left to be desired when it comes to another aspect of car care like paint protection.

The CD test is a way to reveal the grit size of your polish. The polycarbonate is also about the same hardness and toughness as car clear coat so it also makes a decent representative of how a polish will behave when polishing normally. The flat surface also will reveal what kind of swirls if any a polish will leave as it's perfectly reflective and any defects are readily visible in bright light.

Why are people making the automatic assumption that you should start rubbing your paint with CD's? The CD test is simply to reveal the abrasiveness of polishes.

Is there any other way besides microscopic analysis to determine grit size? Does anyone here have any other way to determine the grit size of a polish? If so post it.

Last edited:
I actually did a test on Nu Finish on a 15 year old Toyota for fun. I first tested an area as it was meant to be used a cleaner/sealant. Not much results I expected at least a decent shine. Nu Finish cleaners did a very poor job hardly any cleaning...here in Hawaii the UV can bake some hard stuff.

Right next to Nu Finish without any cleaners I used the cheapest commercial sealant really cheap stuff compared to high end products. You could see the difference Nu Finish look very lack luster hardly any difference. The cheap sealant which I would rate it at 5/10 was noticeable you could see something was applied.

I then used a Hitachi polisher with a commercial mild cleaner to clean the surface. Again I applied Nu Finish and the sealant side by side. With a clean surface again Nu Finish wasn't impressive. Nu Finish film seem weak in my opinion. I really couldn't see how Nu Finish could stand up to the harsh UV here.
The cheap commercial sealant again was very noticeable compare to Nu Finish.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Is Critic trolling? I mean after all the time he spends on detailing, he's asking about a all-in-one "once a year" product?!?
Good one - you got them
wink.gif

And wasn't the opti-coat supposed to be the end-all? Do it and you're done detailing for years?

Either he's asking about NuFinish for a friend/family's car, or its a troll.

thankyou2.gif

I was just curious - this was a lingering question in my mind.

I am very happy with Opti-Coat 2.0 and have no intentions of ever going back to a sealant or wax. With proper upkeep, the benefits of a paint coating on a properly prepped surface are irrefutable.

If Mike wanted to really troll, he would have asked about TurtleWax! (Full disclosure:- I have used a TurtleWax product and I liked it)

Some of the most knowledgeable detailers I know like RtexasF says it's decent and he's never steered me wrong. I trust him and his advice. He used to detail for a living.

Funny how one guy says it's too harsh while another says it's too watery or weak. Guess, they couldn't get their stories straight. Try the cd test using a mf towel to apply and buff. What was the cheap sealant used while doing a comparison test next to NF? If something doesn't make sense then it's usually not true.

Can't win here lately. The bottom line is that the CD test does not accurately reflect what a product will do to paint. SEVERAL high end detailers on respected forums have proven this time and time again.

NF is not even close to the level of cut of M105. I just went outside and did a test panel. Same pad, same speed. 105 cut through the defects quickly. NF did almost nothing. Most likely the pad did more than the product.

NF is a strong cleaner, I will give you that. However, saying that it CAUSES swirls is inaccurate, if the product is used correctly and on a clean surface. Most likely those swirls were there before NF. I've used it on a black car, by hand and machine, without issue.

The old formula was coarse...I'll give you that.

I know you'll have answer to everything I have said. I've got 15 years of actual detailing experience and an arsenal of products. I detail higher end cars, but some of those guys still hand me a bottle of NF and insist I finish with it. Not ONE of those cars had swirls induced by NF. There was even a test of OTC waxes on a well regarded detailing forum. Guess what? It not only stood up to some much pricier products, but it also made a believer of the tester as he had heard it was so abrassive and it proved not to be...

I don't have time now but will post some pics and info later. I was a pro detailer for 15 years and used everything under the sun. NuFinish is a quality product in many respects. Folks bashing it have no clue what they are talking about.

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
I actually did a test on Nu Finish on a 15 year old Toyota for fun. I first tested an area as it was meant to be used a cleaner/sealant. Not much results I expected at least a decent shine. Nu Finish cleaners did a very poor job hardly any cleaning...here in Hawaii the UV can bake some hard stuff.

Right next to Nu Finish without any cleaners I used the cheapest commercial sealant really cheap stuff compared to high end products. You could see the difference Nu Finish look very lack luster hardly any difference. The cheap sealant which I would rate it at 5/10 was noticeable you could see something was applied.

I then used a Hitachi polisher with a commercial mild cleaner to clean the surface. Again I applied Nu Finish and the sealant side by side. With a clean surface again Nu Finish wasn't impressive. Nu Finish film seem weak in my opinion. I really couldn't see how Nu Finish could stand up to the harsh UV here.
The cheap commercial sealant again was very noticeable compare to Nu Finish.

People buy Nu Finish for durability not looks. I think it cleans well and looks okay. I wouldnt compare it to the look of Megs Gold Class paste wax, but again I also wont put them toe to toe in a durability contest because Nu Finish is better with that respect.

NuFinish seems to do very well for me here in SW Florida. I don't go out to junk yards to test it on 15 year old, never been waxed vehicles. :))

Last edited:
What are you missing out on? The fact that this is a product meant for those that are NOT OCD about their car's finish. It IS a good product but the intended audience is not for the likes of thee or me. It is intended for those that consider it serious labor to wipe it on and off once or twice a year. Most, not all, wouldn't know a buffer from a pair of sneakers. If used correctly it can and does offer superior protection to the paint for a wipe on/wipe off product.

Originally Posted By: BTLew81
Thanks Chris...

Long day. I'll try to get up pictures again tomorrow but if I fail it will be Tuesday when I get home. Stay tuned!

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
What are you missing out on? The fact that this is a product meant for those that are NOT OCD about their car's finish. It IS a good product but the intended audience is not for the likes of thee or me.

I would agree. I don't think The Critic is the type of guy that would be terribly happy with NuFinish. I wouldn't be either. On the other hand, my dad loved it, but he wouldn't spend the time on the finish that I would, much less Critic would.

In the past I recommended it to potential clients that simply couldn't afford my services at the time or were too tight to cut loose with the bucks. Several called me back thanking me for doing so, one even came by to show me his ride after NF. Were they awesome show cars that were picture perfect? No, that was not what they were looking for or willing to pay for. They wanted shiny and little else, that's what they got with good protection and durability as a side benefit.

Older formulas were gritty but that is no longer the case. Any paint with a fair to good finish will benefit. That is not the case for 15 year old paint that needs multiple steps of machine compounding and polishing in spite of the NF commercials.

Unless they changed abrasive formula in the past 20 years the grittiness hasn't changed.

The only thing that's changed is paints have become harder and more resistant to the damage the rough grit NuFinish can inflict to paint. A little later I'll post a picture comparing the haziness and swirls NuFinish leaves behind. Can't right now I have to get to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back