fram TG or napa gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
time to change the oil again in my grandmaws car, '08 accord with the 2.4 liter. While I have been using a Fram Ultra 7317 with no problems, Id like to try a TG 7317, due to most people on here saying its a very good filter. (No OCODs for me lol) any risk in using a tough guard, or should I use a Napa Gold, which Ive also read from you guys is a good filter for Hondas.

What oil will you be using? I'd replace the pcv valve with an oem version. Usually, the internal spring breaks around 60k miles. Air and cabin filters also, every 20-25k on those.

Has the atf been changed yet? A single/drain fill every 30k on that.

Whatever is cheaper.

Fram Tough Gaurd is a good filter from what I read and what people say

Plus it can go 10000 Miles.

I've actually USED both of them. I get better starts with the TG and it is considerably more efficient than the Napa Gold as well. I'd take the Tough Guard first.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
I've actually USED both of them. I get better starts with the TG and it is considerably more efficient than the Napa Gold as well. I'd take the Tough Guard first.

Seems ppl like favor flow over filtration....

they rather have better flow and not a filter that is more restrictive.

On my old car, 1997 Buick Lasbre w/ 3800 Series II V6 if I used a PUREONE Oil filter the OIL PSI would be very low, nearly in the red at IDLE... However if I used a A/C DELCO or a FRAM TG or even a Purolator Classic the OIL PSI Stayed dead center.....

So I never used a PUREONE with that car ever again.

Last edited:
^^^ PureOnes are not restrictive.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...451#Post1619451

Also, if the oil pressure sensor is located after the oil filter, which it is on most vehicles, then you will see the same oil pressure unless the oil pump is at max pressure (ie, in pressure relief) ... which doesn't happen at idle unless it's -40 deg F and the oil is like STP.

^^^Yep all true. Urban lengends, internet or otherwise, die hard though as the comment on this thread shows. That and oil filter flow in pc use is an insignificant consideration.

As for the topic, either one will work fine. Lot's of other silicone adbv choices for this application that are equally acceptable imo.

We don't know enough about your intended O/FCI plan to really make a "known" statment.

However, since most folks change oil and filter way too frequently, we can make a presumtion that either filter (really, any filter) is more than up to the task. That being the case, buy the one that is cheapest and/or easist to attain.

I have been a Wix fan for years, but I also like the MC filters, P1, as well as the TG Frams.

Last edited:
From what I have read, Fram makes the OE oil filter for Honda here in the US.

I personally would rather use a Purolator oil filter over a Fram type oil filter.

If the only 2 choices are Fram and Napa Gold, then Napa Gold all the way. Napa Gold oil fiters are made by Wix and Wix is a very reputable oil filter manufacturer.

hmm well from what ive read here, napa gold ..has the oil adapter where the thread is. some here dont seem too like that. i dont remember off hand, the beta ratios of um...efficeincy@ microns.
i wouold imagine the TG is better at micron capturing particles, better effieicency. My napa , a few yars ago, i bought a silver air filter,and a silver filter..both made in poland. id di not ike the material used in the air filter, the driveworks at advance atuo was WAY better feeling material, so was the dealers it was slightly thicker and napa air filter, the air seal, came of rather easily...
thiers trade offs, at least for me. I have cut open Tg;s (for a 95 neon, and a 98 corolla after 1,500 miles ofusage). tg's have partcile board or cardboard endcaps. glued very well. screen ontop the by pass as well. no oil thread adapter thingy where it screws onto the adapeter under car. the tg has much better efficiency than the gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back