Is Toyota 0W-20 SN made in heaven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Blue_Angel
The next day on a cold start (oil at ~60F) the car started and idled so smoothly I couldn't believe it.

How did you get your oil to -60 F?
wink.gif
I know, the board does strange things with the tilde and the default font; I'm just being difficult. I ran into that, too, before.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Blue_Angel
The next day on a cold start (oil at ~60F) the car started and idled so smoothly I couldn't believe it.

How did you get your oil to -60 F?
wink.gif
I know, the board does strange things with the tilde and the default font; I'm just being difficult. I ran into that, too, before.

Not minus 60F, but approximately 60F.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: stchman
Mobil 1 makes a 0W-20 oil, and it's available at Walmart.

but then you have to go into Walmart.

Originally Posted By: JOD

I was simply stating that the OP could get synthetic 0W20 oil in other places besides the dealer.

For those that have an aversion to Walmart, I'm certain that Napa, Advanced, O'Reilly, Autozone, etc., sell Mobil 1 0W20 oil as well.
laugh.gif

OK, I admit it: you have me all wound up and I bought some TGMO 0W-20, two cases in fact at $5.75/qt

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Gokhan

When people say dino, they refer to Group II+ or lower.

Arco Reply: I know, I'm trying to break them of this bad habit
smile.gif

-
-

API allows Group III to be legally called as fully synthetic.
smile.gif

Arco Reply: I don't think API cares a diddly about synthetic vs mineral - they both have to meet their target grade and service category, be it PCMO SN or HDEO CJ. That was a NAB decision - not a legal FTC matter, IIRC - though it dang should be. Fibbing Fat Cats - all of them!
-
-

Regarding moly, with the Infineum trinuclear moly, all you need is about 50 - 100 ppm for maximum benefits. It's much better than any other kind of moly and you don't need it to dump it in huge amounts to see full benefits. There is already a reference posted about it on this board. 200 - 1000 ppm of moly is a thing of the past with the introduction of the Infineum trinuclear moly.
Arco: I'll see when I move back to an ILSAC GF-5 oil in my Honda. I may run: Kendall Full Syn or Castrol EDGE w/Ti or Maybe Amsoil Signature.
The car hated the last batch of idemitsu subaru 0w20.
whaddya think?

I wish we could stop obsessing over base oils altogether. Meets spec with the parameters that are important to the user? Then fuggitaboudit.

Originally Posted By: Arctic388
I don't have time right now to read all 22 pages of this thread but want to ask a question.

if you only had TGMO and PP to choose from which would you choose?

for me its a 2013 Honda CRV with FF still in it.

This post points out an important consideration. There has been much good info in this thread but there has also been a good bit of unnecessary stuff. A new member, or one who has been away for a while should not have to wade through 29 pages to get 8 pages of real info. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Doog
Originally Posted By: Arctic388
I don't have time right now to read all 22 pages of this thread but want to ask a question.

if you only had TGMO and PP to choose from which would you choose?

for me its a 2013 Honda CRV with FF still in it.

PP in a heartbeat. The TGMO is waaaaaaaayyyyy over rated. Probably the same hype as the "green castrol" hype. Really silly if you ask me. Besides I can't wait until all of the monkeys doing 10k OCI's on the TGMO are back at the dealer crying about sludge. PP 5w20 and 5000 OCI and your CRV will go 2-300k no issues and be clean and quiet.

I think they only allow monkeys to drive where you live. Don't see any here.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
stchman said:

But it isn't made in Heaven. LOL

Toyota 0W20 is made by Exxon, Mobil 1 0W20 is made by Exxon. Since Exxon is in heaven and M1 is made by Exxon, then M1 must be made in heaven.

Simple

No such thing as simple logic here. You heard it from the boss, there's only one 0W20 made in heaven, it's made by select angels.
smile.gif
0W40 has a shot butttttttttttttttt.......... it will never be like a high VI 0W20.

First, there was oil blended in der Schwartzwald...next I would have expected a brew from die Zugspitz...heaven is a quantum leap...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JOD

When you HAVE to you HAVE to, you know?

Originally Posted By: M6ser
I think Mazda's 0-20 moly is closer to heaven than Toyota's
smile.gif
Same as their cars...

I heard it was blended on Fujiyama

Originally Posted By: pscholte
OK, I admit it: you have me all wound up and I bought some TGMO 0W-20, two cases in fact at $5.75/qt

I'd be cautious. The elves may poison your food.

Garak,

You are right...and I am not sure they will accept the, "hey guys, times are changing" argument. I can plead the fact I have only a few changes of das Grün left. It has served me well in four vehicles. Bottom line: I won't bring it up to them if you won't.

Cheers

PS. Last time I did something like this Jürgen punched me really hard in the kneecap. It was all he could reach. I am 6'5" and they are...well let's just say they aren't.

PPS. Speaking of that --OFF TOPIC-- anyone think I could fit in an FR-S and more importantly would I WANT to be able to? I am pretty sure I would not fit in Caterham's Europa.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pscholte
Originally Posted By: M6ser
I think Mazda's 0-20 moly is closer to heaven than Toyota's
smile.gif
Same as their cars...

I heard it was blended on Fujiyama

Actually it's blended in the rolling hills of southern Indiana; Jeffersonville to be precise. That's where the North America Idemitsu plant's located.

Caterham,

Is that at least the HIGHEST POINT in Indiana...you know at least a LITTLE closer to heaven.
wink.gif

PS Have you considered a blend using both TGMO and MGMO? Would the additive packs be competitive vice complementary? TNX

PPS The Elves still have not found out about my "slow drift."
cheers3.gif

TGMO and MGMO 0W-20s are very similar formulations.
Both are GP III based with similar additive chemistries as far as we can tell. They must use the same very high VI PMA type of polymer VII although it could be from different additive companies. The Mobil made TGMO likely uses the trinuclear type of moly and the Idemitsu made MGMO uses an organic moly form that requires higher doses to maximize effectiveness.
Based on VOAs of both oils MGMO has a slightly higher VI at 221 vs the 216 of TGMO.
Since the oils are so similar I don't see any advantage in blending them but I would use them interchangeably.
Based on the VOAs, MGMO appears to be a slightly preferable but we don't have a single UOA on the oil while we have tons now for TGMO and TGMO blends. Also as far as NA is concerned MGMO is only available in the States.

Other high VI 0W-20s are Sustina (VI 229) which is the most advanced but also the most expensive and the little known Cross Oil made SynGard 0W-20 (220 VI, HTHSV 2.7cP).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back