What's a good replacement radiator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 1998 LS400 has started leaking around the top. What is the best value radiator I should choose for replacement?

Name branded Denso OEM is at Rock Auto for a bit over 100 bucks. If it is truly an OEM replacement it is an outrageous deal.

I had these parts replaced for 1994 LS400 last Saturday: Denso Radiator, Aisin timing belt kit includes water pump, used coolant expansion tank. Total parts and labor was $700 as estimated.

I don't know how long these parts will lasted, but so far so good. Engine seems to run a little cooler than before, no more leak anywhere.

Denso was OEM on my 1989 Honda Accord. I replaced it in 2000 when it began leaking from a cracked top tank. The Spectra Premium (called Spi in 2000) radiator I replaced it with performed just as well and was still leak free when I got rid of the car in 2009.

I honestly have been swayed to think that, for the most part, radiators are a commodity now.

Denso for $100 sounds just fine to me.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
I honestly have been swayed to think that, for the most part, radiators are a commodity now.
Denso for $100 sounds just fine to me.

IME around here the quality variation among radiators is huge, but I am not maintaining a fleet of imports. Their market is always substantially different.

Normally OEM would be the first choice for fit and performance but prohibitively expensive. IF that Denso is as good as Lexus originally used it is a tremendous bargain.

I have installed on Koyo (on a 98 Odyssey) and one Spi (89 Accord). Both had identical fit to OEM. Quality level was fine since the OEM radiators didn't last any longer than the replacements. The one on my daughter's 99 I30 (Spectra Premium) also appears to be fine. They all have aluminum core with plastic tanks. YMMV.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Name branded Denso OEM is at Rock Auto for a bit over 100 bucks. If it is truly an OEM replacement it is an outrageous deal.

I have one, it's made in Taiwan by a company Denso owns a stake in. It works good so far...

I order the parts at a large body shop. We change ALOT of radiators and ac condensers.
I started ordering most of them from a company called 1800Radiator.
Great prices and lifetime warranty.
The brand names they send us vary
Koyo
TYG (Tong Yang group)
Denso
Vista pro
American condenser (made in china lol)

Have not had any quality issues with any of it that I can recall.

Hey guys.

I have the similar question too. I need to replace my radiator on my 2000 Camry. I pick up a Spectra Premium for $80 locally and it seem like a good replacement. But being picky about everything (side effect of an architect) I wanted an exact OEM replacement.

Is there any good USA-made radiator or all brands now made in China? I checked Spectra Premium, Napa, Vista Pro, Koyo (OEM supplier and TYC sometimes rebox them) and Denso; all show to be made in China.

BTW, I didn't want to high-jack the thread but didn't want to create a new thread with the same question. Thanks.

The Koyo was a perfect fit and will do that brand again. It was more money but installed like a charm...

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Dewitts, Be Cool, Griffin, none of which will probably fit the Toyota.

Can you get the old one re cored?

I forgot about the custom/Premium lines radiators. I recall seeing an all aluminium radiator for the Camry somewhere online. The plastic tank cracked and there's no radiator shop around here anymore.

I checked the local dealership today and they had the radiator in stock with "Made in Taiwan" on the box. The part guy knew he couldn't convince me the sell. I hope the Spectra brand built in ATF cooler works as good as the original.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Radiators are like brake rotors now with nearly all made in China, but some are better than others still.

The Spectra I bought and installed March of this year on my truck was made in Canada. So far, no complaints. It was a direct drop in with no extra hardware, no Mickey Mouse make it fit your car stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back