FRAM Tough Gaurd Filter missing ADBV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at Wallywart just a few minutes ago and I was looking for a OIL filter for my Girl Friends 2007 Chevy Trail Blazer.. Well I looked at A/C Delco PF61 and it was a E core and didn't have a Bypass. then I looked at a Purolator and it didn't have a bypass. Then I looked at a FRAM TOUGH GUARD and to my surprise the SILICONE ADBV was GONE, all you could see was the WHITE Paper End Disc.. I was going to buy it but I was short on cash however I hit it in the MOUND of oil filters..

So my question is what would of happened if I would of put that on the TRUCK??

Also whats going on with FRAM Quality Control? I mean I guess 1 just got by them. However it was clear as day.

See I was looking in the filter to see if there was a bypass and there wasn't but what caught my eye was the silicone ADBV was not there...

So what you all think??

Should I go buy it just to take pics?

at first I thought it was like A/C DELCO E CORE b/c they have like a steal ADBV
slmgrn.jpg

See the pic?

However the FRAM you could clearly see the Paper End Caps that were very dirty.

Last edited:
As far as I understand it, not all filters have ADBVs, as they are not needed in all applications. If the filter orientation in the Trailblazer is like my Burb's and the base of the filter faces up, there is no need for an ADBV because gravity does the job of keeping the oil from draining out of the filter.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
As far as I understand it, not all filters have ADBVs, as they are not needed in all applications. If the filter orientation in the Trailblazer is like my Burb's and the base of the filter faces up, there is no need for an ADBV because gravity does the job of keeping the oil from draining out of the filter.

Yep, same thing for the filters for the GM 3.9l in the Impala and others. For some reason, they do put an ADBV in the higher end filters for the 3.9, though.

An ADBV is still beneficial here, because oil above the filter in the engine oil galleries will push oil backwards through the filter due to head pressure. See below sketch. This shows what the oil will try to do after the engine is turned off and the system is no longer pressurized.

IMG_0647.JPG

I do not think so b/c I could actually see the WHITE paper END CAPS that were very very dirty.

When I looked at Purolator and Even Fram Extra Gaurd there was a Nitrle / Rubber ANTI DRAIN BACK.

Im telling you it was missing.

I guess you are correct, but damm that filter looked nasty

Part Number TG9837

Zoom

Product Type Tough Guard Lube Filter
Anti-Drain Valve NO
Gasket I.D. 2.45"
Gasket O.D. 2.77"
Gasket Thickness .19"
Gasket Usage Base
Product Height 4.06"
Product I.D. 13/16-16 Th'd
Product O.D. 2.98"
Relief Valve Setting PSI NONE

but the PUROLATOR had a NITRLE ADBV

but this the part that was missing.. how come Purolator had the rubber ADBV

2w4l2xe.jpg

WOW see how nasty it looks..

here is pic of Extra Gaurd with no ADBV

16b12qp.jpg

Notice the paper end caps and no ADBV ???

Why didnt fram just put the ADBV on

Purolator and M1 and STP have them

I guess at wallymart the ExtraGaurd I picked up was not the same

but WOW

Would you put that on you car?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

An ADBV is still beneficial here, because oil above the filter in the engine oil galleries will push oil backwards through the filter due to head pressure. See below sketch. This shows what the oil will try to do after the engine is turned off and the system is no longer pressurized.

IMG_0647.JPG

^^^^^Exactly what he said.

I believe there are some applications that have an ADBV built into the filter mount/engine block (similar to the way that many GM applicaitons have the bypass valve built into the block)... but for most applications, an ADBV is beneficial - regardless of the orientation of the filter.

IMG_0647.JPG

SO true, its hard to imagine why filters without ADBV's exist at all. All for the want of a few pennies, I guess...

Lots of confusing information in the OP's post.

First, the first pic shown is of an ecore tapping plate.

Second, GM has the bypass in the engine/block on this model, and many GM models so none is needed in the filter. All the filters no matter the maker would be this way.

Third, the ecore does not have a 'steel' adbv. They use a nitrile adbv behind the second tapping plate. The one shown on the ecore is an extra/secondary tapping plate designed to make blind installation easier.

According to the Purolator look up, an adbv is spec, at least for their applications on said vehicle. No idea why the Fram would not have one.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

IMG_0647.JPG

SO true, its hard to imagine why filters without ADBV's exist at all. All for the want of a few pennies, I guess...

Yea just to save a few pennies

also no bypass, thats crazy the one on the ENGINES have been known to FAIL...
heck they even show it on FRAM You tube page..

Originally Posted By: David1
....also no bypass, thats crazy the one on the ENGINES have been known to FAIL...
heck they even show it on FRAM You tube page....

Say what. Bypass in engine have been known to fail? Suppose it's possible, but not likely. Again, all manufacturers of this filter application whether they be oem or aftermarket have NO bypass because it's in the GM engine/block. So all would be in the same boat in the unlikely event the engine bypass were to malfunction.

And the Fram youtube of which you speak did not say the engine bypass could fail, it said if the oil pump relief valve failed it would cause filter issues. But the oil pump relief valve is not the same as the engine integral filter bypass which is being discussed here. Hope that clears up the confusion.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980

I believe there are some applications that have an ADBV built into the filter mount/engine block (similar to the way that many GM applicaitons have the bypass valve built into the block)... but for most applications, an ADBV is beneficial - regardless of the orientation of the filter.

Hummm ... I've never heard of any vehicle having the ADBV built into the engine. A bypass valve, yes - as many GM engines have the by-pass built in.

Originally Posted By: David1
WOW see how nasty it looks..

here is pic of Extra Gaurd with no ADBV

16b12qp.jpg

Notice the paper end caps and no ADBV ???

Why didnt fram just put the ADBV on

Purolator and M1 and STP have them

I guess at wallymart the ExtraGaurd I picked up was not the same

but WOW

Would you put that on you car?

It looks "dirty" because they use heat sealing to bond the end caps on to the media. Its just a little "burnt". That wont effect the operation of the filter though.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i never noticed but i dont look at fram anything

Well said! I am with you on this one.
thumbsup2.gif

Ever heard of the term nudnick?

Hello,
I am the technical director at FRAM. If your trailblazer is a 6 cylinder, the filter does not have a ADV because the OE filter does not have one. The filter is mounted in a position where it simply doesnt need one. The bypass valve on that engine is in the engine block, mounting another one in the filter would simply be redundant and not needed. Our product strategy is to always mimic the OE filter- If the OE filter has a adv, we put one in. If it has a bypass, we put one in set the same bypass pressure. The only exception to this is on our racing filters, all of them have high flow bypass valves due to racers blocking off the bypass in the block on many GM engines (a terrible modification BTW).

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
You were probably looking at PH9837 which is w/o adbv. PH3675 is w/adbv for that application.

I believe you are on to something here.

My interest piqued here, I decided to do more research on the adbv/no adbv filter applications is it applies to this engine/vehicle, ie., GM 4.2L 6cylinder TrailBlazer.

Using the Fram look up, it seems that depending on the year there are two or three filters that can be used for this application. The 02-04 shows PH3675 or alternatively the shorter (-.75") PH3506 can also be used. Both do have an adbv.

For the 05-09 model years the topic'd PH9837 with no adbv is shown as filter for the this application. Accrding to look up, it has the same outer dimensions as the PH3675.

Otoh, Purolator and Wix (using their respective catalogs) make no distinction between model years, they spec one filter which has an adbv. In the Purolator it's PL/L25288, in the Wix it's the 51522.

Also according to the Fram look up, the ACDelco cross reference to the PH9837 is the ACD PF61/(E). If one does a Google image search of the PF61 they all (ecore or classic construction) appear to show an adbv on the filter. The best site I found is linked below with excellent pics of the ACDelco and other filters for similar GM application. It also shows dissection pics of the PH3675, TG3506 and many others.

So based on this, if I was chosing from the Fram filters for any 4.2L 6 cylinder application, I would go with the PH/TG 3675 with an adbv. Just me. While an adbv may not have been OE spec, there's nothing lost by having one. And it appears the PF61 uses one now.

PF61 19256044 (classic)
PF61E 19210285 (ecore)
PF61 19210285 ( no E suffix) Ecore

GM oil filter application dissection Home Page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back