8.1 Chevy filter X reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
PF 454 is the recommended part number for the 8.1L vortec. I am assuming that this was aso recommended for the 7.4L. Do these cross reference to the old long style filters like the KN HP-3002 etc. for the older 305,350,454, and 6.5 diesels. Diameter and threads look the same but this filter is like 3 inches long compared to the older style for small and big block Chev's that is about 6 inches long.

If the larger one fits, give it a shot and let us know.

There are 3 KN filters that are spec'd for GM big/small blocks---2002 small, 3002 large, and HP-6002 woolly mammoth!

Also, you could try the diesel Duramax filter straight from the dealership.

How doy you guys like your 8.1's? Do you have any knocking or oil burning problems? I hear the 8.1 is a MONSTER...lots of power!

I love the power
grin.gif

mine does have cold start knock (started @ 250 total miles) that had me very angry and afraid at first, I changed the oild @500 hopeing it would help, and then at 1500 went to mobil 1 still no change it comes and goes, no one has ever had any real problems from it it siunds scarry sounds liek the motor is about to throw parts on start but 50,000 later it is still strong as in OX

there are several thearies on why/where CSK comes from but considering I can make it temporarily go away with heavy driving lends credibility to carbon build up on the bottom of the head, some use top end (intake track) cleaners to make it go away but it comes back in a few months, others have said the piston is to samll for the bore/piston skirt is too short until it warms up

it also burns oil my consumption is iregular, it will go for quite a wile without using any and all of the sudden it will need a quart,

it averages out to about 1 quart between changes, suposedly that level of oil burn is about in line with the older BBC's, there is a tsb for replacing the intake bolts aparently some motors the intake will leak internaly drawing oil in and is recomended if the oil consumption is bad, I may give this a try to see if it fixes my oil consumption

only other problems I have had with that motor is the cam sensor died, witch causes 1/2 of the starts to be longer (without cam position PCM has to guess witch stroke the crank is on. 1/2 the time it wil get it right) dealer replaced that one under warrenty, a few weeks ago my crank sensor went out motor will not run without it, cost me $40 to be towed 5 miles home $90 for a new one and was a bear to change, the replacement was a updated hopefully it will be more reliable, I have seen several other people with the same crank sensor problem

I have been using pf1218's on my 8.1, (actually upf1218) that is the filter from the old 454 and was also used in the 8.1's first release in a van front chassis, when it was put in the silverado there were clearance problem with the front drive shaft so they put that little 3" filter on there, mine is 2 wheel so I use the full sized filter thaty was really ment for it,

I have been looking for an evan larger filter for it for a wile, I test fit a huge filter (2 quart) that fits but has no drainback vale so I did not actually use it

[ September 17, 2003, 12:49 PM: Message edited by: RavenTai ]

My 2002 LS1 was rebuilt at 12,000 miles because of piston slap/knocking issues. It didn't make any difference.
frown.gif
It was also burning oil but it is to early to tell if it is still burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back