K&N oil filter.. how long can I keep it on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just ordered a 2006 for my caddy... how long can i keep in on there, since i spent 10 dollars i want it to last a long long time... i run very short intervals on mobil 1 tri-syn 0w-40....Im hoping to keep it in for 10k miles? i think my engine is pretty darn clean so it wont be getting plugged with chunks of sludge

I believe you're safe for 10-15k no problem. It doesn't trap a lot of 10 micron stuff so it won't plug up too fast at all.

If GM is confident the small PF44 filter can go 15k on the Corvettes, then this longer filter (which is the equivalent to the PF58/59, which is the same as the 44 except an inch longer) can do it too.

Well I think you are wasting money with the K&N. I am not sure what your goal here is. If it's to avoid the effort in changing filters-than I can understnd your reason-sort of. But you are still making the effort to change the oil very frequently
dunno.gif
Plus you are leaving dirty oil in the old filter. Also K&N isn't a very high efficiency oil filter so you are really not getting top notch filtering.

In my humble opinion-you would be better served by going with an oil change interval of say around 7K (more or less) with the K&N or just change at your 3 or 4 K miles (overkill) with the Mobil1 and a Supertech filter.
Again-not slaming you. Just my opinion
smile.gif

I'll have to agree with Al.

Just change both at the same time and if cost is an issue, use a cheaper filter.

If you're gonna get your hands dirty changing the oil, then spend the extra 2 minutes and change the filter also.

And then there is the more-flow-is-better-than-efficiency school of thought, which appears to be a strength of the K&N.

You'll find passionate arguments and testimonials here from both sides. It doesn't appear that anyone really knows the what's best. We get good wear number reports from drivers who run filters considered to be mediocre, and good reports on the so-called high end devices, too. Throw all of the different formulae of oils into the mix, and it all becomes a indecipherable mess.

Fun though, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back