V3 triton led 1157

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know anything about those, but putting in these LED's was a snap and made a huge difference.
LED's
normal_tail_and_brake.jpg

led_tail_and_brake_lights.jpg

Originally Posted By: widman
I don't know anything about those, but putting in these LED's was a snap and made a huge difference.
LED's
normal_tail_and_brake.jpg

led_tail_and_brake_lights.jpg

Those look impressive. Any night shots?

I haven't used those, but wow the cost is up there! In my experience, I have been very pleased with the bulbs sold as "60W Cree" on eBay and Aliexpress. The "60W" rating is a bit misleading... that's the maximum current they can handle right before burnout, but they actually pull about 271mA (3.25W) on high.

They're definitely brighter than stock, but work best in a rear facing application. I'm using them on my Q45, and they're definitely brighter than stock - even though they're facing sideways.

60W%2520LED.jpg

I have a whole thread on NICO about this conversion, http://forums.nicoclub.com/led-bulbs-in-the-q-t577741.html

If linking to other forums is frowned upon here, please delete the link...

Heath

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Are these worth it?

Absolutely not. An LED array, regardless of how many you add to the "bulb", will not and cannot be a substitute for a filament bulb. The optics are simply not the same.

I'd be trying some of the more reasonably priced stuff before springing for those.

I ordered interior, trunk and license plate LEDs from V-LED, nice stuff. Had to place a second order as everything I could find gave me the wrong bulb type, even the Chrysler service that my son uses at the dealership. Good service, nice and quick shipping, good prices, for the smaller stuff.

I also ordered reverse and front switchbacks cheap that came from China. The reverse bulbs work well but the switchbacks are useless so I went back to the V-LED site. The V2s are crazy expensive! I have no doubt they probably work great but I just cant see spending that much for them.

Have you tried any of the high count SMDs?

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Are these worth it?

Absolutely not. An LED array, regardless of how many you add to the "bulb", will not and cannot be a substitute for a filament bulb. The optics are simply not the same.

I think this was true a while back, but with the current Cree (and similar) high output bulbs, I think it's possible to outperform the filament bulbs. These new bulbs put out so much many lumens in so many directions that they can overcome the directional nature of LEDs. The older SMD and Superflux style bulbs were just not bright enough to accomplish this. I agree that they're not identical in appearance to filament bulbs - they do have hot spots in some cases depending on how they're oriented in the housing - but in my opinion the hot spots are substantially brighter than the filament bulb, and the "fill" in the other areas are brighter or at least equal to the filament. In a rear facing application, where the LED bulb is facing directly out of the lens, and the side LEDs are filling the reflector, these things are amazingly effective.

Heath

Originally Posted By: Q451990
I think this was true a while back, but with the current Cree (and similar) high output bulbs, I think it's possible to outperform the filament bulbs.

It's not a matter of technology, but rather of physics. It is simply not possible to engineer an LED drop-in that is a realistic analog to a filament bulb. The symptoms you describe (hot spots in some areas, likely brighter than what is photometrically allowed in FMVSS 108) are why these retrofits are not legal.

There's a reason why no OEM uses an LED array drop-in at the factory. There's also a reason why whenever you see a truck or a bus that's been retrofitted with LEDs, it's been with a complete replacement housing that conforms with FMVSS 108.

Originally Posted By: Q451990
with the current Cree (and similar) high output bulbs...

It's also relevant to note that Cree doesn't manufacture these, and there's likely nothing "Cree" about them. There are a lot of rip-offs on eBay, and automotive lighting is a huge market for that kind of stuff.

Cree is a reputable company, and they make excellent (and legal) products. An automotive LED drop-in is not one of them. They produce excellent structural interior and exterior lighting products. They do not make automotive lighting products (yet). Check out their full product portfolio here:

http://www.cree.com/Lighting

I'm very interested in forward LED lighting on vehicles. The new Toyota Corolla and Honda Accord bring forward LED lighting to the lay person. As a North Carolina resident, I'd love to see Cree get awarded a supplier contract for automotive lighting.

Cree clearly doesn't make the drop-in assemblies, but they do make bulk LEDs. www.mouser.com shows a ton of them...

Of course I have no idea if the actual LEDs in the assembly I purchased are actually genuine Cree. That said, what I have installed is brighter and more responsive than OEM.

After reading Hokiefyd's original and follow up post, I agree... you can not identically replicate the lighting of a filament bulb with a drop in replacement.

I do believe that you can come very close, and in some cases outperform the filament lighting. The result may not meet an obscure federal regulation, but I suspect mine are "close enough" for real world use without having any interaction with law enforcement.

My real point was to say that it's at least now possible to match or exceed OEM filament brightness, and that's a relatively new development in this technology.

Heath

Regardless of legality issues, in general I'm still not a big fan of aftermarket LED "bulbs" in stock housings.

Even if the light from an LED is adequate, having LED hotspots looks tacky. Even in low-end vehicles, OEMs do a good job at making sure lighting is uniform and in a cohesive, aesthetically pleasing pattern. You'll get the best-looking results by replacing a burnt-out bulb with its equivalent, or replacing the whole housing if it's damaged.

Further, more light is not always better. I am not a fan of the stockLED brake lights on late model Audis. It's OK during the day, but when my eyes are acclimated to darkness and I pull up behind one at a traffic light, I have to look away. It's blinding.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back