Best headlight lens restorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my two cents but have used blue magic brand headlight polish many times both by hand as well as with a drill mounted wool cutting pad with EXCELLENT results. Especially like their headlight sealer which appears to be some type of acrylic or epoxy to me.

Turtle wax has helped me clean them up, but once you start down that path, you have to keep polishing them.

Griot's Garage now has a kit that includes UV protectant...just ordered it, I will let you know...

plain white toothpaste like crest or colgate actually works very well at removing road grime from the windshield.
as for using it on yellowed or dulled headlight lenses.. I'd probably say it might do something, but you'd need something more aggressive than toothpaste.

I've been using meguair's Marine One-Step Compound. This stuff is an aggressive rubbing compound, a bit more agressive than regular rubbing compound.
It's cleared up lenses fairly quickly and you get a big bottle for $20. It definetely works better than the plastx or blue magic's headlight restorer.
I haven't needed to use it with 1500grit sandpaper yet, it seems to do the job pretty good all by itself.

And I coat my lenses with 303 Protectant every couple months. So far, so good!

I know you are looking for an "off the shelf" product. However, the very best method I've seen involves using a hand held 3 inch, 2500RPM buffer and (the best IMHO) Flitz metal polish, or 3M Perfect it (or similar) compound.

Methodical polishing, then wax. Holds up very well. The results are a perfect surface finish.

opplanet-flitz-international-flitz-metal-polish-16820.jpg

28354.jpg

You really need multiple levels of abrasiveness to do the job. The Turtle Wax kit has 5 counting the liquid. It also depends upon how bad the discoloration is. If you can feel it then definitely you need to start with something more abrasive than toothpaste.

I had amazingly good luck with the 3M headlight lens restorer kit.
I used it on my 2002 Maxima and it made the yellowed headlights look literally like new from a few feet away. They had some signs of fixing right up close but from a few feet away they would pass as brand new headlights. I would recommend the 3M kit any day, it worked fantastic.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Once you get them clear, you need to use a UV protectant to keep them clear. I use Harley gloss for motorcycles. I use it on the windshield it keeps it from getting cloudy, paint ,and chrome. I even use it on my Explorer. It's a light detail polish, but it works good.,,

This is a very important step that most people forget...
The easiest kit to use is the 3m headlight restoration kit... found under $20 at the auto parts store and some painters tape to mask of painted areas around the light...
https://www.google.com/shopping/product/5216201402521497911?q=3m+headlight+restoration+kit%5C&bav=on.2,or.&bvm=bv.52109249,d.bGE,pv.xjs.s.en_US.8f7UbUMizFk.O&biw=1280&bih=857&dpr=1&tch=3&ech=1&psi=1LQxUqX8FInZ4ASsvoDYBw.1378989269106.5&wrapid=tlif137898927612221&sa=X&ei=3LQxUqOQFJGrhQfNl4DYAQ&ved=0CFYQxBUwAA
any UV wax or sealant will suffice... just remember to re-apply every few 4-6 months or so or you will be re polishing your lights... when you polish them you are exposing bare clear plastic so oxidation will happen faster than before... a protective layer is very important in minimising rework.

Found a bottle of Wolfgang Plastik Surface Sealant (UV protectant)...works well after polishing...I had used FW1 cleaning wax, but I think Wolfgang is a better sealant.
The Kitacam's

g0pj.jpg

I tried a number of polishes - NicSand, Meguiar's, cerium oxide - made for plastic or glass on my wife's 12 year old Toyota. All get the haze off but it came right back.

So I bought SEM Products UV cure headlight restorer, polished it, cleaned it well, and sprayed in the morning on a clear sunny day.

That seems to have done the job.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs
One is fogged, one is clear.

Best restorer to use, and how?

Going to, once I know.. TIA!

I just tried what I assume is a relatively new product from Duplicolor.

headlightResto1.jpg
http://www.duplicolor.com/products/headlightRestoration/

I was able to have it transferred in to O'Rielly for $10.99. It's a spray polish and a clear coat.

I had already cleaned my lenses before I bought the kit, so I can't speak to how well the polish works. From what I can tell going from a progressively more to less gritty polish is necessary depending on how bad the oxidation is. I like Novus Plastic Polish, but I've used something as cheap as Kit Scratch-out with good results.

In my case, the factory UV coating had started to peel in places, but was mostly intact, and I didn't want to spend the time stripping it all off. You can still see the line in the clear coat where the factory coating flaked off, but it's not noticeable from a quick glance. I used the polish just as a prep. step for the clear and sprayed on two coats. It goes on kind of wavy and then spreads out. It smells kind of like a polyurethane or varnish, and behaves very differently than standard automotive paint clear coats.

A couple of notes... the instructions state to use a lint free cloth before spraying, and this step is critical. I wiped the clear off of mine a couple of times trying to get them lint free. Also, the "medium heavy" application of the spray in the instructions should be interpreted to the light side of medium. Although this clear is designed to run down the lens as it smooths out, it will still run if it's on too thick. I ended up using two thinner coats. The second coat will behave very differently from the first one, with more of an orange peel effect, but smooths out nicely as it dries. The clear dries very quickly to the touch, but should not receive heavy pressure for about 24 hours. I picked one of my lights up after about 3 hours and left a light thumbprint in the coating. I would try to keep the car garaged for at least overnight after spraying.

We'll see how it works long term.

I hope it works better than the Meguiars UV protectant. I did a left vs. right comparison on my wife's G35, and it appears to be worthless. Maybe it can help protect already protected surfaces, but in terms of keeping freshly cleaned unprotected plastic from hazing again - it had no benefit at all in my case.

Heath

Originally Posted By: bourne
From what I hear, Sylvania kits last the longest in terms of oxidation and clarity. ( they come with a sealant , probably why they last the longest )

I used the Sylvania kit with good results. Bought it on amazon for a good price. The sandpaper is only enough for one car, but the liquids are enough for two, if you use them sparingly.

I happened to have some 1000 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper that I use to sharpen tools. So I was able to do a friends headlights, as well as my wife's, with one kit.

I cleaned three cars today with Colgate Optic whitening toothpaste.
Why? Because it was in the bathroom. Permanent solution? No. Clean the lenses and make them look almost new? Yes. Three cars, 5 minutes a car. The 2003 civic had the most dramatic change. Wet paper towel, dab of toothpaste, rub.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I had amazingly good luck with the 3M headlight lens restorer kit.
I used it on my 2002 Maxima and it made the yellowed headlights look literally like new from a few feet away. They had some signs of fixing right up close but from a few feet away they would pass as brand new headlights. I would recommend the 3M kit any day, it worked fantastic.

You're right...just did mine using this kit and they look amazing...my only complaint is this kit didn't come with any sealant/protectant...does anyone sell just a sealer?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: guyonearth
The best restorer is some 600 grit sandpaper and a buffing wheel with some polishing compound. Most of those kits they sell are a waste of time.

600 is pretty course and if you start with that you're gonna need several steps of finer grits to get all the scratches out, otherwise you'll be going at it quite a while with polishing compound to get a smooth surface....

I wonder if this would be any good for sealing headlight lenses?

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-24811/Detail?gclid=CI2429LLjbsCFYtQOgodLQMAUg

I remember when I used to build plastic models...I always dipped the clear plastic canopy in this stuff as it made it look thicker, and made it look like real glass...this stuff seems to bond really well to plastic...the tough part would be applying it so it coats evenly without dripping or running....

Originally Posted By: grampi
I wonder if this would be any good for sealing headlight lenses?

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-24811/Detail?gclid=CI2429LLjbsCFYtQOgodLQMAUg

I remember when I used to build plastic models...I always dipped the clear plastic canopy in this stuff as it made it look thicker, and made it look like real glass...this stuff seems to bond really well to plastic...the tough part would be applying it so it coats evenly without dripping or running....

Originally Posted By: grampi
Anyone?

bad link

Optimum Opti-Lens is your best bet for sealing headlight lenses.
As an alternative, you can try applying PPF over the headlight lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back