Fram CH 9911

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came off my new to me last year '08 Jetta with a 2.5 liter 5 cylinder engine. Not knowing the service history as it came from VW dealership and they had no service records on the car, I decided to change their fill out at 3K miles. I installed this filter and Castrol Edge 5W40 VW 502 oil. This OCI was approx. 5K miles. I know it was a short OCI for synthetic. By the looks of the filter, I just might get an oil analysis done next time around an see how long I can take the oil and filter out to. I wonder if this is Fram built or something relabeled from another manufacturer.

Fram's facilities are state of the art high tech. Why would they have someone else produce it for them?

Well, it does say made in Germany though. Experts?

Last edited:
In my experience cartridges are a different beast when it comes to who actually makes them. As an example, the Purolator and Napa Gold for 3.8L Hyundai engine both labeled made in S. Korea, look identical. Can't prove it, but I think they could well be made in the same factory for Puro and Napa.

For this filter as I'm sure it's not a high volume application, it could well be subbed out. Not unlikely imo.

I do think some Fram filters are made by other manufactures.
The Fram equivalent of the Mann 719/45 used on VW's is made in Germany, painted black and looks nothing like a Fram.

I was told by Mr. Buckley of Fram that 85% of their cartridges are now made in the US and all will be by the end of 2014.

I have yet to see that style of cartridge with the foam end caps that did not look really tidy, including the K&N for the Ecotec. Very nice!

Originally Posted By: sayjac
In my experience cartridges are a different beast when it comes to who actually makes them. As an example, the Purolator and Napa Gold for 3.8L Hyundai engine both labeled made in S. Korea, look identical. Can't prove it, but I think they could well be made in the same factory for Puro and Napa.

For this filter as I'm sure it's not a high volume application, it could well be subbed out. Not unlikely imo.

Yes this, cartridges are coming from just a few places it seems but the name on them is another story entirely, same filters spread across a bunch of lines.

That said the Puro Classic for our KIA that I just purchased IS different than the Napa Golds I have been using. The media is a different color and the Puro has far more interior support structure. Both made in South Korea, I think a lot of cartridges are coming from there.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The Fram equivalent of the Mann 719/45 used on VW's is made in Germany, painted black and looks nothing like a Fram.

Yes a MicroGard (Rank/Fram/Champ) for an Audi application was posted here recently and clearly it was not a standard MG filter but rather a made for Fram filter by another manufacturer in Germany. Here is the thread (scroll) showing the MGL 8994 spin on that clearly appears to be made by Mann.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3032441&page=1

As for topic'd filter, there is another thread discussion showing this filter and apparently some are also made in China. Based on a comment in the linked thread, the OP's German made filter looks exactly like the Mann/Hengst cartridge. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2504855&page=2

As for my comment regarding the similarity between the Napa Gold 7250 and Purolator L25848 both made in S. Korea, I will take a closer look at the Purolator Classic today at AAP. The pictures I have see posted in this thread, shows what appears to be identical construction including the cage. Even if not made in the same factory though, being made in S. Korea still think there's a good possibility they are made for Puro and Napa by someone else. OT I do see that AAP finally wised up and reduced the price of the L25848 by $6 to $6.99. Still my NG7250 cost $10. But I digress.

From what I have read the German made ones are made in the same factory as the Mann or Mahle filters.

The Fram ch9911 made in China is Fram's own facility.

When I had my 2012 Jetta Sportwagen with the 2.5, I used the Mann or OEM filter with M1 0w-40, car ran sweet with that combo. If you look online you can get the OEM's for $10.

Very nice motor though, some call it the "mini lambo" engine because of it's sound and sharing some of the same designs with the Lamborghini v10.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Interesting. I have a different filter series than you sayjac.

The Puro L26127 looks near identical to the Napa Gold from the outside (it's a cartridge not a lot to change) but the inside cage is different than the Napa. It has the same 4 lengthwise crossbars but about double the side supports, very noticable. I've not had any issues with any of them but the extra support is appealing to an anal BITOG'er. Both stamped made in South Korea too but the text font is different.

My next filter aquisition for the KIA will probably be a Napa Pro Select I want to see how it compares to the Gold.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

Yes a MicroGard (Rank/Fram/Champ) for an Audi application was posted here recently and clearly it was not a standard MG filter but rather a made for Fram filter by another manufacturer in Germany. Here is the thread (scroll) showing the MGL 8994 spin on that clearly appears to be made by Mann.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3032441&page=1

As for topic'd filter, there is another thread discussion showing this filter and apparently some are also made in China. Based on a comment in the linked thread, the OP's German made filter looks exactly like the Mann/Hengst cartridge. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2504855&page=2

As for my comment regarding the similarity between the Napa Gold 7250 and Purolator L25848 both made in S. Korea, I will take a closer look at the Purolator Classic today at AAP. The pictures I have see posted in this thread, shows what appears to be identical construction including the cage. Even if not made in the same factory though, being made in S. Korea still think there's a good possibility they are made for Puro and Napa by someone else. OT I do see that AAP finally wised up and reduced the price of the L25848 by $6 to $6.99. Still my NG7250 cost $10. But I digress.

Yep, I posted in that first thread about the MGL8994s. The demand has increased enough now that Fram has brought the PH8994 production in house and you pay the same and get less of a filter. It was nice when I could get the Mann 930/21 filter for $4.37 + tax.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back