IOS7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Artem
Originally Posted By: Vikas
In a nutshell, what are the "real functional" enhancements over 6.1?

There are so many features and improvements within your regular everyday apps like Safari for example that trying to describe them won't fit into one post as there are too many characters...

Yeah right! unless of course changing colours and icons counts as a functional change these days.
I upgraded my wife's iPad 2 and most of the changes are cosmetic, nothing else. The new notification pull down is better, but still behind android.
They changed the lock/unlock animations, big whoop!
They added live wallpaper. Must be one of those great Apple innovations I keep hearing about
wink.gif

Icons got changed and the top information bar is now harder to read.

To top it all, the device now seems to be less responsive.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
After using iOS7, I can't stand looking at my Android devices. It's like working on a Windows 3.1 computer after being used to Windows 7.

Apple has not only caught up, but surpassed Android. Your move, Google.

Competition is great.

Nah, surely youre drinking kool aid if you say that.

hmmm... I may put this first on my ipad, but Im still hesitant on the phone (I have a 4s running 5.1.3). Have maps gotten to the point of being trustworthy for heavy duty navigation use?

May but the wife or I a 5s for the better camera flash (having a new baby means LOTS of pictures), and give it a try.

After using iOS7, I can't stand looking at my Android devices. It's like working on a Windows 3.1 computer after being used to Windows 7.

Apple has not only caught up, but surpassed Android. Your move, Google.

Competition is great.

I'm not feeling that same love
21.gif

I have IOS 7 on my wife's IPad mini. I have Android 4.2.2 (CyanogenMod 10.1.3 RC2) on my S3. I greatly prefer my S3 with the NOVA launcher.

I think IOS 7 is an improvement. But I'm certainly not shouting from the rooftops that they've just topped Android. IMHO, they've just caught up.

I've been around IT for 20+ years, I don't drink anyone's KoolAid. (Save for BeOS, but that's long gone...)

Changes are cosmetic, but not only cosmetic. Most changes are to the methods of doing things. Safari is vastly improved, unlimited tabs now, thankfully.

Some good news this week, Matching With Friends is (finally) on Android now. Locks up constantly on my Nook HD+ but works flawlessly on my old Xoom tablet. Go figure.

I've been around IT for 20+ years, I don't drink anyone's KoolAid. (Save for BeOS, but that's long gone...)

Changes are cosmetic, but not only cosmetic. Most changes are to the methods of doing things. Safari is vastly improved, unlimited tabs now, thankfully.

Some good news this week, Matching With Friends is (finally) on Android now. Locks up constantly on my Nook HD+ but works flawlessly on my old Xoom tablet. Go figure.

Never said you were drinking KoolAid, simply that I didn't relate to your assessment, LOL
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Never said you were drinking KoolAid, simply that I didn't relate to your assessment, LOL
wink.gif

No that was my tongue-in-cheek comment regarding the age-old now apple vs droid competition. Surely anyone that likes apple stuff just doesnt have a clue and is just drinking kool aid.

Now... Regarding the 64 bit capability... What gives? Big benefit? lower power computing? The ram in these devices isnt enough to have an addressing issue.

I "upgraded" my wife's iphone 5 whatever to 7 it last night.

I will say it's easy - connect it to wifi, and come back in the morning, it was done.

In the thirty seconds or so I looked at it after my wife went through the set up, my reaction was meh. They managed to make it even duller looking than it was before, not an easy task.

For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with Apple. The interface is absolutely stone age compared to WP8.

And a fingerprint scanner? Who in their right mind would ever give their fingerprint to apple and everyone and everything else spying through the phone?

I honestly don't understand what the big deal is with comparing phones (or anything else for that matter) these days. Isn't it all personal preference, at the end of the day anyway? You either want a particular phone or not. It either has operating system A or B. If you don't like that operating system, pick another phone with a different OS. If you like the way phone XYZ looks, feels and operates, who cares what phone ABC has?!

I personally like the look and feel of my iPhone 5. I love the simplicity of its OS. I couldn't care less what Droid is doing with their phones and OS and what jaw dropping features it has. If they add something new with the newest model phone, and I don't like that phone and won't even consider switching, I don't give a rats rear end about it after that point.

People keep comparing phones and features and its extremely annoying to me. The whole point of the existence of phone XYZ & ABC is because they are different. If they operated the same, that would be stupid.

End rant.

35.gif

Originally Posted By: Win

And a fingerprint scanner? Who in their right mind would ever give their fingerprint to apple and everyone and everything else spying through the phone?

My Sony Vaio Laptop from 2010 had a finger print scanner near the track pad, in order to "unlock" the Laptop and insure that it is really you. I didn't feel any less secure giving my 5 finger prints to Sony and then I giving my finger print to my iPhone.

Apple says the info is stored in a safe place into the phone. I trust em. It's the same as having your computer remember your password to your website of choice. My Mac remembers all my info as well as credit card number, etc for ease of checkout when I purchase something. My identity is still here with me.... So what's your point?

I "upgraded" my wife's iphone 5 whatever to 7 it last night.

I will say it's easy - connect it to wifi, and come back in the morning, it was done.

In the thirty seconds or so I looked at it after my wife went through the set up, my reaction was meh. They managed to make it even duller looking than it was before, not an easy task.

For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with Apple. The interface is absolutely stone age compared to WP8.

I do like the idea of the fingerprint scanner, otherwise I agree with everything else you said.

We had to go to the mall today, and I saw a 5 at a kiosk, so I played with it. I like the iOS 7 look, though some of the icons do look a bit "juvenile" somehow. Slick feel and the home button seemed just fine. Still less of a monster than the other samsung and HTC phones that didnt feel right in the hand. Nice for use as a tablet, impractical for use as a phone. I just am NOT a fan of the 5s's length difference over my 4s, and what it means for a shirt pocket. Really wish there was a 5s with a 4x form factor.

Originally Posted By: Artem

My Sony Vaio Laptop from 2010 had a finger print scanner near the track pad, in order to "unlock" the Laptop and insure that it is really you. I didn't feel any less secure giving my 5 finger prints to Sony and then I giving my finger print to my iPhone.

Apple says the info is stored in a safe place into the phone. I trust em. It's the same as having your computer remember your password to your website of choice. My Mac remembers all my info as well as credit card number, etc for ease of checkout when I purchase something. My identity is still here with me.... So what's your point?

Agree. We have a thread about a woman reconstructing peoples' faces from DNA, and were concerned about a fingerprint stored in local memory?

I wonder if other skin textures that arent fingerprints would also work... Ill also bet that one need not use it.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Now... Regarding the 64 bit capability... What gives? Big benefit? lower power computing? The ram in these devices isnt enough to have an addressing issue.

It will take a year or so before developers can realize the benefits of the 64bit OS and start taking advantage. Beyond memory issue which is not apparent yet in mobile devices you can process data in 64bit chunks vs 32bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

It will take a year or so before developers can realize the benefits of the 64bit OS and start taking advantage. Beyond memory issue which is not apparent yet in mobile devices you can process data in 64bit chunks vs 32bit.

Well I get that
smile.gif
But practically speaking...

does it mean some level of better efficiency? like fewer clock cycles to do something, so less time that a processor is hopped up at full speed (and voltage which is what takes battery life), so better overall effciency? Keeps things cooler? etc?

My son works for a very large corporation which provides an iPhone to all administrative employees. Here is an e-mail sent out by their IT Director:

"This message is important so please read it carefully.

If you (or someone you know) has an iPhone, iPad or newer iPod Touch you need to be aware of the following:

Apple has released the 7th Generation of it’s Mobile Device Software simply known as “IOS7”.

With IOS7, Apple has completely redesigned the operating system so now it looks and works much differently.

If you haven’t upgraded already please consider the following items before installing this update:

1. This software release changes the entire look and feel of many core features on all devices.

2. Be aware this update is not reversible regardless of how much you do or do not like it.

3. This update may break some of your apps until a fix is released (possibly weeks).

4. You may lose data stored on the device including pictures and text messages.

5. In a worst case scenario a complete reload of your device may be necessary.

6. If possible back up your device to a computer before upgrading.

It is also a high probability that it will slow down one or more key components of your phone unless you have an iPhone 5 or newer. The iPhone 4 and 4s are old in terms of technology and while they may be able to upgrade to IOS 7, the user experience most likely will not be what you expected. There are already reports of unresponsive keyboards or delayed input with keyboards for iPhone 4 users that have upgraded to IOS 7. It may also break your email or wireless capabilities.

With those points in mind, we recommend that no upgrades take place at this time on company devices.

You may also want to read Apple’s What’s New page and watch Apple’s IOS7 video

Thanks!"

One guys opinion, but I think I'll hold up for a while and see if there are "fixes" for the update.

All our stuff is IOS 7 now.

Wife's iphone 4
my iphone 4
ipad 3

All are running great. No problems so far. None of our info, pics or contacts got lost in the update. It did free up some memory on the iphones. The camera's on all 3 devices operate much faster now. In fact most every task operates faster now. One or two things take longer but I can't rememeber what specifically.

Signal and battery life are improved. We can now get 2 full days on the iphones with moderate use....wasn't expecting that. Theres no more delay loading streaming music in the gym at work anymore...yay...don't laugh this is the stuff that matters.

Loading streaming music in the gym at work has been a big issue for me. I had a Samsung droid 4g and Motorola droid 4g prior to the iphone 4 and this is the first time I have not had a delay loading music. Note the iphone 4 is only 3g.

For the life of me, I don't understand the fascination with Apple.

It's simply personal preference, and it will exist with any consumer product (including cars, motor oil, etc). People simply like what they like; it may change over time for one person or it may remain the same. Those who don't understand it don't understand it for a good reason: they don't like it.

People have been fascinated with Apple products, they've been fascinated with Google products, they've been fascinated with Blackberry products, and they've been fascinated with Microsoft products. Some love Apple, some hate Apple, and some are indifferent. Some love Android phones, some hate Android phones, and some are indifferent. Some love Windows phones, some hate Windows phones, and some are indifferent.

We have everything in our house (except for real Unix). I like the Apple hardware far better than any others. I like the Apple software marginally better than any others. I like Google's online services marginally better than most others' and far better than Apple's. There are pros and cons to them all.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
To top it all, the device now seems to be less responsive.

Try a hard reboot after the OS upgrade. That fixed it on my iPhone 4S. The device doesn't reboot itself after the upgrade, but it probably should. There are a number of reports on the internet of sluggish devices after the upgrade, and rebooting has cured every report that I've seen (and it worked for me as well).

I had no plans to upgrade to a new phone, and iOS 7 has cemented my satisfaction with my 4S. This is the first phone I've owned where I'm not pining for an opportunity to get something else.

64bit means smoother graphics. A number of my fellow compadres in the field have noticed that 64bit Windows has smoother graphics than the exact same 32bit Win7 load.

Looking forward to what the future holds with all this. We shoulda had 64bit desktops back in 2001, but Intel/HP/MS dragged their feet.

Now that 64bit mobile is here, it looks promising. EA makes more $$ off mobile than it does on PC's or consoles. This can only be a good thing for game writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back