Antidrain back valves and GM filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is a PH59 the same as a PF58 but with the addition of an antidrain back valve? What about the PF35 and the PF1218? My applications call for a PF58 (Olds OHV V8) and a PF35 (Chevy small block). Would I able to run the PF59 on the Olds and the PF1218 on the Chev without any problems? Are there any other differences between the filters that I should know about?

Also, how are the AC/Delco filters when compared to other makes. I just use the standard grade filters on my applications. I also use a dino oil (Pennzoil) but I change it every 2000 miles religiously. We have little selection of filters here other than Fram and its clones. I can get some Purolator Premiium Plus filters though.

[ February 03, 2003, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Oldswagon ]

To my knowledge the PF58 and the PF59 are identical except for the anti-drainback valve. This is the same for the PF35 and the PF1218. If it were mine I would be using the ones with the anti-drainback valves. Wix seems to be a quality filter, although it's more costly.

westex

[ February 03, 2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: westex39 ]

My Firebird calls for the PF25, but the longer ones I've used are the PF35 and the PF1218. It's true, the PF35 and PF1218 are the same except the PF1218 has the antidrainback, so it's the better one to use.

By the way, the AC Delco filters up here are made by Dana, who also make Wix, so they are great filters. The ones sold in Walmart are identical to the ones sold at GM dealers, only without being $10 to $12, they are $3 to $5.

[ February 03, 2003, 04:06 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

We should also let you know that it has been reported on this board that the end caps on Purolater Premium Plus filters are cardboard so you may wish to make another choice or find Pure 1 filters.

Thanks for the help guys! Next oil change I will definitely switch the filters then. I didn't know that the AC/Delco's in Canada were made by Dana. No more brand switching for me. A friend of mine got me a box of Purolator Premium Plus filters a little while ago for my Olds V8's. I only have one filter left, which will be gone soon. I will stick to getting AC/Delco's from now on, especially if the Purolators have cardboard end caps.

Before we say all Purolator filters have cardboard endcaps, I received this from Purolator:

"It is true that Purolator has some percentage of paper end disk elements in its product line.

This is not a new process as Purolator has been manufacturing this product type for decades."

ive been through 4 cadillacs, all with either 4.1/4.5/4.9 v8's i just learned months ago about the 58 having no drain back valve.. all PF58 equivs (fram, super tech, mobil) have the valve

i just also learned of a longer version of our PF58/59....

fram 3429
AC delco PF-45
motorcraft FL-331
Mobil MO-123
Napa 1040
purolator L20123
wix 51045

I thought the PF-45 went out of production. My factory service manual for my Olds V8's calls for a PF-45. However, I haven't seen this filter at the local GM dealerships or the local Wal-Mart. According to the AC/Delco book, my application now calls for a PF-58. I figured this was because the PF-45 is now out of production.

How much bigger is a PF-45 than the PF-58?

all i know is, I compared a FRAM 3429 to the 58, and it was an inch or 2 taller... bigger enough to use it!

and the fram 3429 cross references with PF45 so I assume they are the same

I am using the Purolator L20123 right now. They are the same size as the AC/Delco filters that I used previously. I am not sure about those Fram's your listed, however, I have compared to Fram clone equivilants to a PF-45/PF-58. Canadian Tire sells two Fram clones, the Motomaster Filter and the Quaker State filter. Both are the same size as the AC/Delco.

I checked the Fram's website and it lists two filters for the Olds V8: the 3429 and the 3625. Maybe this explains the larger filter you are finding. Next time I am at Wal-Mart buying my AC/Delco, I will compare it to the Fram you listed. Regardless of whether or not it is larger, Fram's poor quality and cardboard end caps are enough to keep me away.

yea for my cadillac the book listed either 3675 or the 3429.

its weird... the fram 3429 is a little longer than the castrol maxpro 3429.

i want to find the napa, wix, and others to compare.

I made a mistake on those Fram numbers. It should have been 3675 not 3625. Anyway, I also forgot to mention that on Fram's site there is a cross reference guide. It shows the 3675 and the 3429 for both the PF45 and the PF58. However, it only shows the 3675 for the PF59.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back