which dexron for 98 corolla, valvoline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all! Have a 1998 toyota corolla, 3 speed. wanna change my atf fluid soon. book calls for 2.6 quarts of dexron III. Was at atuozone, and they have 3 kinds of valvoline dexron..1) ATF alsos states for dexron applications, 2) valvolone Dexron V or IV , forget which one), and 3) DEX/MErc. I am lost at which dexron i should get too repalce the fluid with!
and...should i go with dealer atf filters, or would NAPA ones be ok? do i need too use thread sealant on new gasket? dealer has cork kind as well as napa.
thanks all:)

Typically you'll only see 2 types. DEX/MERC and Dexron VI. DEX/MERC fluids will be suitable for Dexron III applications but are not labeled Dexron III since the licensing expired about when Dexron VI was introduced. Dex VI is backwards compatible with Dex III, except a couple circumstances such as PS and some transfer cases.

Either type will work in your application. The Dex VI has a better basestock and is more shear resistant than a Dex III fluid. You can read more about that in the forum. Personally, in our Corolla, Celica and Trailblazer, which all originally called for Dex II or III, I've been running Dexron VI (SuperTech brand from Wal-Mart). I've heard folks say that some older transmissions prefer Dex III but that hasn't been the case in any of the Dex II/III spec'd vehicles we own.

I use Napa filters and as far as I can tell they work fine. You can use the cork gasket or black gasket maker on the pan.

Forgot to mention there are also synthetic DEX/MERC fluids. I'd imagine they are probably just as robust as some Dex VI fluids.

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc and an OEM filter.

+1 I use that on my 98 Sienna. I don't bother using OEM filters. I've used Wix and some others (which are referred to as "strainers" and not filters). I currently have a magnefine inline filter on mine as well.

Regards, JC.

thanks all!!! I was at advance auto, and they have the maxlife snthetic atf, which also lits, toyota..type II and another transmission. not sure if my 98 has a type II or not.
so if a cork gasket, should i use thread sealant after installing it on thepan?

Originally Posted By: gomes512
Forgot to mention there are also synthetic DEX/MERC fluids. I'd imagine they are probably just as robust as some Dex VI fluids.

Really?

ok! so do i need too use thread sealant? When i had my 95 neon, the gasket from autozone and NAPA, fitler sets, required thread sealant, the red or blue stuff. the dealer gasket was plastic* aftermarket was cork*
need sealant for the new gasket with the toyota?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back