San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leamington, ON, CA - between Detroit and Cleveland
A young couple (30ish) that we know will be in San Francisco for a vacation next week (Mon-Fri).

What are the things in the Bay area that are not to be missed by an energetic couple who wish to see the sights ??
Urban stuff .. natural beauty .. hidden treasures etc

Maybe Mori in one of his incarnations will chime in on this.
56.gif

Thanks in advance guys for your input.

Bob

I'm sure many of you will poo-poo the touristy stuff, but I think it's worth seeing: Lombard Street, Coit Tower, the various piers, Golden Gate Park, etc.

If there's time, rent a car and drive to Yosemite National Park.

Alcatraz tour! Be sure to buy tickets in advance, they sell out. Also be cautious of resellers - there are a lot of sites that sell them but be sure to buy them direct from the NPS http://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, and check out Sausalito.

How are they going to be getting around? I wouldn't suggest driving since parking can get crazy, prefer taking public transit (Muni) and you can see a lot of sights while riding. They can consider getting a 7 day pass package which includes unlimited public transportation, tickets to a few museums and a boat ride around the bay. They also have a 7 day pass for Muni only if you don't want the package. Too bad I work Monday to Friday otherwise I would be happy to show them around.

Many people and tour groups like to go see the Golden Gate Bridge, Coit Tower, Lombard street, Pier 39, Fisherman's Wharf, Marina, Palace of Fine Arts, Union Square/downtown, Civic Center, Haight/Ashbury. These are all worth visiting and I typically bring guest to those places. Alcatraz is definately worth visiting. Another island you might want to consider visiting if they have the time is Angel Island.

Some other places I would suggest which a bit less tourist oriented and very nice views are Crissy Field, Twin Peaks, Legion of Honor, Fort Funston, Mission Bay (ball park area).

Also good to visit some of what I call community districts like Chinatown, North Beach, Japantown. Lots of good places to eat.

Fisherman's Wharf was a nice day and a good place to have lunch.

Domaine Carneros is a beautiful winery on the main road between Napa and Sonoma. Others like Beringer give you the underground cellar experience.

Muir Woods is supposed to be nice but we ran a out of time and missed it.

There is a hotel on Nob Hill where the restaurant is on the top floor and glass on all four sides. Breathtaking views and great sunsets.

we liked the Sutro (sp?) baths and surrounding paths for the sheer beauty of the sea and great views of the bridge and there's also a great restaurant, The Cliff House, above the baths with spectacular views.

[quote

There is a hotel on Nob Hill where the restaurant is on the top floor and glass on all four sides. Breathtaking views and great sunsets. [/quote]

That would be The Top Of the Mark in the Mark Hopkins Hotel.

I hope your friends know San Francisco is about the most expensive city to visit?

a car is still useful if you want to go outside downtown, there are pay parking around or you can drive around to hunt for free or metered parking.

I would suggest Lombard, cable car ride or at least see them get in and out of stops. Golden Gate bridge, and high way 1 cruising.

House of the falling furniture

d1.jpg

If you plan to drive further Napa would be great for wine tasting, Monterrey if you want to see a good aquarium (the beach there has some of the best sunset you can ever see). There are lots of Mexican food if you have never tried it.

Note: check Yelp if you want to look for restaurant review in SF.

Last edited:
We stayed in a hotel on nobb hill...very eccentric place.

Cable Car museum was good for an engineer. Chocolate factory was a hit for Mrs.

Originally Posted By: Papa Bear
A young couple (30ish) that we know will be in San Francisco for a vacation next week (Mon-Fri).

What are the things in the Bay area that are not to be missed by an energetic couple who wish to see the sights ??

101 North for about 4 hours, to get the heck outa that area and up to the Northern Coastal areas of CA, where it's wonderful.

SanFran, "the industrial city" is no longer industrial at all. It is a tourist trap of the highest order. If you want expensive chocolates, noisy harbor seals and absurd hotel prices, it's your city. I don't care for the area one bit.

I travel there at least once a month. I despise the area.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Originally Posted By: Papa Bear

101 North for about 4 hours, to get the heck outa that area and up to the Northern Coastal areas of CA, where it's wonderful.

SanFran, "the industrial city" is no longer industrial at all. It is a tourist trap of the highest order. If you want expensive chocolates, noisy harbor seals and absurd hotel prices, it's your city. I don't care for the area one bit.

I travel there at least once a month. I despise the area.

Come on, it's different when you go somewhere once a month vs the first time in your life.

South San Francisco, "The Industrial City", is a different city and county than San Francisco and still somewhat "industrial". Not somewhere you want to go on vacation though.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Come on, it's different when you go somewhere once a month vs the first time in your life.

Yes, I guess. Since you are nearby, you are more qualified than I to showcase the highlights.

While I love technology and all the things mankind can produce, I don't care for crowded areas. When I vacation, I like to avoid the crowds and go into more remote areas. I certainly let my personal preference show in my above post huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back