Can I use a bigger oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2.2L camry uses a 90915-10001 or 90915-YZZC5 toyota filter. Is there any harm if I use a longer filter like the 90915-10004 or 90915-YZZA6 designed for the newer 2.4L camrys?

-
 -

quote:

Originally posted by Jason Troxell:
If it fits and the bypass setting is the same, I couldn't possibly think of any reason why not.

If is a perfect fit, but I wouldnt know if the bypass setting is the same.
dunno.gif

The other thing why I am hesitant is that the 2.2L camry has the filter pointing upwards, while the new 2.4L camry has the filter pointing downwards. So I am wondering whether they are interchangeable.

there was this post in either the oil forum that gave a link to another forum that stated soemthing about the toyota filter. they said that the toyota filter was probably one of the worst out there becuas the material inside lacks flow. ill bring up the link to that forum

Topic: Photos of Honda oil filters

its on this forum and there is a link on the first post, go there and a few pages down there is one on your filter...

hehe sorrie im not responding to ur question but i just wanted to let u kno about that kind of filter..

quote:

Originally posted by greencrew:
Is it possible to use too large of a filter and cool the oil down to too low of a temperature?

The larger oil filter should not affect oil temperature much, if any at all.

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
Topic: Photos of Honda oil filters

its on this forum and there is a link on the first post, go there and a few pages down there is one on your filter...

hehe sorrie im not responding to ur question but i just wanted to let u kno about that kind of filter..

Thanks! But I noticed the internal construction of the 90915-YZZA2 used for the american 2.4L camrys looks very different from the ones for the japanese camry. The 90915-YZZC5 & 90915-10004 use yellow foam element, more like the pictures of the 90915-20004 in this link (but oil soaked):

http://mkiv.com/techarticles/parts/toyota_filter/index.html

I would be confident that the tread size would be the same.. so make sure the gasket specs (I.D./O.D.) are the equal.
I have used an oversize flter on my Pontiac Transsport for 3 years now, without any signs of advers affect.
Jean

I was curious, so I cut open both filters to see what's inside.

Here's the one for the 2.2L 5sfe:
 -

-

-

Yikes! No bypass valve! Is that good or bad?
 -

Here's the higher quality one for the 2.4L 2azfe, the red rubber is softer and more pliable:
 -

-

-

-

looks like someone threw up on it. it looks like a big chunk of material..i like the japanese kind, it looks as though it has more flow. i still got my 2 mobil 1 filters and fram filters sitting around waiting to be opend..heheh ill do that tomrrow.

The -10001 and -10004 filters contain a 1 bar (14 psi) internal bypass. I think that generally, these filters will be on the engine when it comes from the factory or after a rebuild.

It's common for Toyota to use filters without a bypass valve for subsequent use, therefore the -YZZ-- filters.

Those filters from Denso are made from molding a thick fiberglass material, 2-3 mm., over a stiff plastic skeleton, then some type of material is added which make is somewhat hard.

As you've shown, the -1000- filters have more filtration area around the periphery, better elastomers, and the bypass valve...and they cost more. I don't think that there's a good reason to use the longer filter, but I think that it will be OK.

I do not think that there are any flow concerns with Toyota filters. That was just one guy's uninformed opinion.

Ken

[ January 31, 2003, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Why do new toyota engines need a filter with a bypass, & subsequently not need a bypass? Do you think its better to have a bypass or not have a bypass?

My guess is that new engines still have some dirt, manufacturing debris, and possibly wear (break-in) particles inside them. This will be trapped by the filter. If the filter becomes clogged you need oil, dirty or not, to circulate through the engine.

I buy Toyota filters with the bypass valve, but I drive in a very cold climate in the winter (U.S. and Canadian Rocky Mountains) and the very thick cold oil might need the bypass valve. I've been to Singapore...that warm climate is different...I think that your engine is OK without the bypass valve, but maybe the protection is better with the bypass.

Ken

Keep in mind that some vehicles have a bypass valve built in to the mount for the oil filter, so the filter itself would not need a bypass filter internally. My nissan truck uses a filter that has a bypass (Motorcraft fl-300), the supertech equivalent does not have one however, so I stay with the Motorcraft). My Chevy trucks use the Ac PF52 or the Supertech 3980, neither has a bypass valve, but there is a bypass built in to the filter mount.
If the engine has a bypass valve AND you use a filter with a bypass valve as well, the only consequence would be that the valve that opens at the lowest pressure would open first and stay open longer than the other valve would have.

I think that I like those plastic skeletons as a foundation for supporting the media. Looks as though they could pass a lot more oil than the steel cylinders with holes drilled in them that we commonly see in filter construction.

YZF150,

Any and all filters specified for a particular engine will have adequate flow for that engine in all circumstances. At times that flow might be through the bypass valve, but it will flow and not starve the engine of oil. Engine makers provide oil filter specs to the oil filter makers and no filter maker is going to stick their financial necks out by listing filters in their catalog that do not meet the engine maker's spec...and no engine maker is going stick their financial neck out and list a spec that starves the engine of oil (well, GM and most of the others have done some dumb things...want a new GM engine...some word is getting out that GM is replacing piston slap engines).

That said, there is a difference between filters, but all will be adequate flow.

Ken

[ February 01, 2003, 03:58 PM: Message edited by: Ken2 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back