pureone synthetic vs napa platinum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Which of these two brands of oil filters is better in quality, construction, and more oci's? Any comment is welcome,thanks...

Based on what I've seen cut open my vote is Napa platinums.

However, the Napa Platinums have not posted efficiency ratings where Purolator Synthetics do.

Just like lubes, most folks under-utilize their filter products. Therefore, either is likely to far exceed anything you'd typically put them through. Both filters have good steel construction, silicone ADBVs, enhanced media, etc. Feature for feature, they are essentially a wash. You might as well choose based upon price and availability, because there is no practical difference between the two that would reveal one to have an realzied advantage over the other in real-world performance.

Did we really need yet another "best filter" question that has not been addressed a bazillion times already? What happened to the search button on your computer?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The Platinum is worlds beyond the Purolator Synthetic in construction quality.

Huh?
What do you base this statement on?
I agree with dnewton3. IMO it is a wash.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123

Huh?

Based on opinion. Just like everything else on the forum.

Unless the OP has an irrational hatred of Fram, the Ultra is as good or better as the other two for less money, and it's available at most Super Walmarts. He should buy whatever he likes, all three will do the job.

Originally Posted By: jfking106

Huh?

Unless the OP has an irrational hatred of Fram, the Ultra is as good or better as the other two for less money, and it's available at most Super Walmarts. He should buy whatever he likes, all three will do the job.

Agreed, they're all good filters but the Fram can be had for a reasonable price. I believe Walmart has them for $8.99. I get mine on Ebay, pack of 6 for ~$7/each.

Comparing the FU, P1S, and NP (Wix XP) ...

synthetic media with wire backing, high contaminant holding capacity and high efficiency
steel media end-caps (if that matters to you)
heavy steel construction in can and base plate
silicone ADBV
robust BP valve
etc

About the only difference of note would be that the NP/WXP do not have a grippy textured paint treatment whereas the FU and P1S do, if that matters to you. For those of us that use a cup-wrench, it's moot.

These are, essentially, brand-specific equal alternates; there is no practical difference that would ever reveal itself in real-world use. The only way one could be "better" is to be less in cost.

And it's HIGHLY likely that they would be under-utilized, so any "benefits" of construction would not be realized, and therefore become a waste.

And no amount of "opinion" will change that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I really don't see how a person could say any one of the filters is markedly superior to any of the others. We can debate the tiny detail differences as if they really matter at the end of the day, but any of these filters will serve the needs of a long OCI admirably. To my way of thinking, it then comes down to price. To others it's all about the fervency of brand-loyalty-über-alles.

Agreed.
And... there are a couple of other oil filters that are also in the same quality category.
But... the OP asked about comparing P1S vs NP.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: NightRiderQ45
guess i've been away for too long. I didn't know there was a purolator sny filter. Thought P1 Gold "dust" was still at the top of the chain

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/SyntheticOilFilters.aspx

Wait Im confused, The Puroloator syn filter is rated at 25 Microns while the PUREONE is rated at 20 Microns.... what is better as far as MICRON number?

Purolator Syn Oil Filter
*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PSL30001*

PUREONE OIL FILTER
*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 20 microns on PL30001
**As applicable*

I would think the 20 Microns is better or am I wrong?

Last edited:
Yes, it's "better" but the difference is small enough that at the end of the day, the end results will be indistinguishable from the other.

But you have a point. The Puro Syns ar ehigher priced than the P1 and a bit more than the Ultra so why pay more for less efficiency... even if it is just by a slight amount.

The primary role for the synthetic filters are with long OCis because, per square inch of media, they have more capacity than cellulose. Secondarily, flow and efficiency are factors but these are often false gods to be worshiped. You can buy cellulose or cellulose blend filters that match efficiency and for MOST folks, and most engines, flow is not an issue where having more has any beneficial effects.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: panthermike

Huh?

Agreed, they're all good filters but the Fram can be had for a reasonable price. I believe Walmart has them for $8.99. I get mine on Ebay, pack of 6 for ~$7/each.

+2....Why bother with either of these filters....when the Fram ULTRA beats them in every category..... including price, contruction and efficiency.

Huh?

I ordered two when they first became available, one for my Ion and one for my Bug. The PSL15436 was so pathetic I brought it back immediately. I brought the PSL20195 back not much later after I dropped it and the can split open. Both were so bad they must have been assembled by a little kid with a hot glue gun. Instead of a joined seam on the PSL20195, there was a huge gap in the media that was filled with glue, like it had gotten cut too short and they half-assed it to make it "work". The endcaps on the PSL15436 were very, very crooked. Also, right out of the box, the grip texture was flaking off the PSL20195 and had gotten all over everything, including the threads and the inside of the center tube. I have never seen this problem with a PureONE's grip texture.

They were among the very earliest batch of Purolator Synthetics to hit the shelves, so maybe Purolator has fixed these issues since. Maybe the Syns were rushed to market too early before the kinks were ironed out. Who knows? I'm certainly not going to try to find out, not when the Ultra can be had for the same or less and the Platinums seems to be perpetually on sale for about the same price, too.

So, yes, just my opinion, based upon a very unpleasant experience.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
+2....Why bother with either of these filters....when the Fram ULTRA beats them in every category..... including price, contruction and efficiency.

I'm more than perplexed how you can make a statment like that.

Price is dependent upon source and location; that will always be a give and take siuation. We can always find sales, closeouts, etc. Right now Napa has a $5 rebate that would put its price well below that of what I can find for the FU. But I know Fram has extended sales promotions before as well; they currently offer $4 off a combo of oil and air filter, so if you claim that you are paying retail for the air filter, then the oil filter is $4 off, or you can split it 50/50 in savings, etc. I don't currently see a P1S promotion, but they are often paired up with lubes in AAP and AZ ads. Here's the bottom line on price:
It's a game - get it? All in all, they are probably going to average nearly equal in price. They are premium filters that are going to cost more than your "normal" filter, and may be a bit more or less than their direct competitors, simply depending upon what sale you find on what day.

Construction? You claim that the FU "beats" the others? In just what way? Please be specific in your answer. We've already discussed that they all (FU, P1S, NP) have syn media, backed by wire and having high capacity, with silicone ADBVs, with heavy steel cans and base plates, robust bypass valves, etc. I fail to understand how you can say any one of these "beats" the others. Just what attributes would you tout in the FU that are superior to the P1S or NP?

As for the efficiency, I'd have to say that the FU is certainly excellent, but the real performance of it, versus the others, has yet to be established.
Here's what's officially posted on the relevant brand sites:
FU: 99%* "FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency and dirt holding capacity using FRAM XG3387A, XG8A, and XG4967 and their leading economy filter model equivalents under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns." (note that they only state this applies to particles "> 20 um" and not at 20um) - that is somewhat ambiguous, because "greater than" is not the same as "at" ...
P1S: 99% "*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PSL30001"
NP: I cannot find any claim on their efficiency, but as they are a rebrand of the Wix XP, we can presume that they would echo the Wix rating of "B2=20". The Wix XP has what several of us suspect to be a "typo" in their efficiency statement. I cannot fathom such a premium filter only being 50% at 20um, as could any other informed BITOGer. At best, it's an unknown.

So, I would ask, as a matter of conversation, you defend your statment and explain just how the Fu "beats" the others. Price is awlays in flux, construction is a total equal alternate, and efficney statements are basically ambiguous and/or flawed. On what peg are you able to hang your hat to support your claim? I'm curious ... And please be specific and detailed in your reponse.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian

I'm more than perplexed how you can make a statment like that.

Price is dependent upon source and location; that will always be a give and take siuation. We can always find sales, closeouts, etc. Right now Napa has a $5 rebate that would put its price well below that of what I can find for the FU. But I know Fram has extended sales promotions before as well; they currently offer $4 off a combo of oil and air filter, so if you claim that you are paying retail for the air filter, then the oil filter is $4 off, or you can split it 50/50 in savings, etc. I don't currently see a P1S promotion, but they are often paired up with lubes in AAP and AZ ads. Here's the bottom line on price:
It's a game - get it? All in all, they are probably going to average nearly equal in price. They are premium filters that are going to cost more than your "normal" filter, and may be a bit more or less than their direct competitors, simply depending upon what sale you find on what day.

Construction? You claim that the FU "beats" the others? In just what way? Please be specific in your answer. We've already discussed that they all (FU, P1S, NP) have syn media, backed by wire and having high capacity, with silicone ADBVs, with heavy steel cans and base plates, robust bypass valves, etc. I fail to understand how you can say any one of these "beats" the others. Just what attributes would you tout in the FU that are superior to the P1S or NP?

As for the efficiency, I'd have to say that the FU is certainly excellent, but the real performance of it, versus the others, has yet to be established.
Here's what's officially posted on the relevant brand sites:
FU: 99%* "FRAM Group testing of average filter efficiency and dirt holding capacity using FRAM XG3387A, XG8A, and XG4967 and their leading economy filter model equivalents under ISO 4548-12 for particles > 20 microns." (note that they only state this applies to particles "> 20 um" and not at 20um) - that is somewhat ambiguous, because "greater than" is not the same as "at" ...
P1S: 99% "*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PSL30001"
NP: I cannot find any claim on their efficiency, but as they are a rebrand of the Wix XP, we can presume that they would echo the Wix rating of "B2=20". The Wix XP has what several of us suspect to be a "typo" in their efficiency statement. I cannot fathom such a premium filter only being 50% at 20um, as could any other informed BITOGer. At best, it's an unknown.

So, I would ask, as a matter of conversation, you defend your statment and explain just how the Fu "beats" the others. Price is awlays in flux, construction is a total equal alternate, and efficney statements are basically ambiguous and/or flawed. On what peg are you able to hang your hat to support your claim? I'm curious ... And please be specific and detailed in your reponse.

Only thing I do not like about the FRAM ULTRA is the bypass, its the same bypass as the Fram Extra Gaurd.

Why didnt they invent a better bypass?

I believe its still a great FILTER and for the $ you cant go wrong.

Ill try one soon. Right now I have a FRAM TRT HM 7317 in just for the heck of it.

LOL!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back