Waiting for the Next Model Year to Come Out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not necessarily. At a certain point, the manufacturer takes the rebates away. Wait too long, and you could lose the deal entirely. Not a lot of markup in a small car like a Fiesta. Probably about $500. If there were money to move, the dealer has probably already applied it to get rid of the 2012 year model. There is only so far they can move. After that, they are taking a loss. I say buy now while you can.

Last edited:
Sure it will make the 2012 one model year older. That plus it will be considered a used car. I really doubt there will be any new ones around unless someone at a dealership really screwed up.

Depends on if the 14 is a totally new model or not. Previous models tend to drop when a new one is introduced.

For example now is a great time to buy a 13 Silverado, a 14 not so much.

Last edited:
Your question is fair, but the answer is no. You get the benefit of the car being a leftover one time only. After that, you just have a car depreciating on the lot, that happens to be new. I am not sure what you are looking for, but the Ford dealer, I assure you, has every motivation to move a my 2012 Fiesta TODAY.

Go make your deal.

when I was shopping for a mini-van, I wanted the saturn relay or chevy uplander.
went to the chevy dealer, they had a 2005 Uplander, not fully loaded, purple outside, tan leather interior.
So we went inside, the salesguy admitted the car was in the back of the lot and was forgotten about. He would change the battery for me and oil. However, he wasn't going to budge on the price. (it was march of 07). So I said, you have a 2yr old van with a very unpopular color (which my wife disagreed on) and you aren't going to move that price at all. No he said, it's a new van with full warranty in tact.
I said, OK.. we'll see.
Went down the street to the Saturn dealer, saw 5 Relay's, the one my wife chose was the brown Relay-3. loaded up, of course they didn't deal on the price, but they did on the trade in!
So that was actually a good buy, and the van is awesome!

When I got my TSX they had some '11's on the lot and one in my preferred color combo (black/black). When I asked if I could have one of those they said, yes but we can't give you this price on an '11, so the '12 ended up being cheaper for me. Go figure.

In my state they cut the excise tax year after year based on your model year. If you're going to drive the car into the ground, you get an extra, very expensive year by their formula. EG you get to pay for a new car 2x if you get a 2014 now.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
When I got my TSX they had some '11's on the lot and one in my preferred color combo (black/black). When I asked if I could have one of those they said, yes but we can't give you this price on an '11, so the '12 ended up being cheaper for me. Go figure.

Same with my Cruze. Back when I got it, the 2012's were newly out while the 2011's that were not sold had been sitting for a while. A dealer happened to get in a 2012 with everything I wanted, including color, 2 days before I called to haggle over it. They made me the best offer I'd received, so done deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back