Pentastar cold start moan/groan..

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTK

I've noticed the Pentastar 3.6 in our new 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan makes what sounds like a low pitched power steering pump whirring noise on cold start, that lasts a good 30sec or so. It's loud.

I'm not sure which rolling element it's coming from, but it sounds like a slow spinning hydraulic pump until she warms up a bit. Once warm, it's quiet aside from a slight exhaust rumble- also odd given the size of the muffler and resonator on the beast.

Have not noticed anything like that. And I don't imagine you've had any really cold starts yet. Hopefully it does not get worse as the temperature drops.

The rumble I think can be attributed to the variable cam timing being used for EGR. My mother's GM van, my son's Mazda 3 and the Charger all do the same thing. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak but the Charger smooths out rather quickly.

Oh sorry, missed the once warm part.....haven't really payed much attention with the Charger, will have to check it out. Nice intake growl when you get on it though.

Last edited:
my toyota runs a vacuum pump for about a minute on cold start. it makes a bit of a noise until it turns off. I believe some chryslers do the same--- our T&C in the sig has a pump mounted on the engine subframe, down low, I believe.

I think that's normal for the 3.6 engine. Without a check engine light, the dealership won't do anything about it. You still have to take your van to the dealership to document the cold start moan.

The P-star VVT V6 in my '13 Grand Cherokee makes no such noise, but it sure fast-idles a long time IMO--long enough that I'm in gear and rolling down the driveway before it slows noticeably...and I do let it warm a few seconds. Does yours have the electric-powered PS pump, as mine does?

Weird.. Of the 4 or so responses I got to this question over at a 5th gen Grand Caravan forum, all theirs do it to.

Anyone have any updates on this?

I read a bit about SRT recommending a viscosity increase to deal with noisy oil squirters but that seems to be at RPM, not start-up idle. Have seen a few posts about water & power steering pumps replaced with no success. Does not appear to be limited to the '13s with 5w20.

Mine was there this morning at -16C. Supposed to be that or worse tomorrow. I think I'll plug in the block heater tonight and see if that helps.

Last edited:
How cold are we talking? Once you get down into the teens it's not that uncommon for PS pumps to make a little noise until they warm up.

People on other forums are reporting that PS pump has not been a solution.

It's a bit different sound than a PS pump. I'll try to grab a video this week or post a like to one that is already up.

I got the same thing a few times in extremely cold temps that were hitting NY recently. It did not last nearly as long as shown in the video for me though, maybe 10 seconds if that. I wondered what is was also, but being a lease I was not too worried.

If anyone figures this out, I would be interested to know what it is.

BTW - mine is a 2012 Grand Cherokee

Last edited:
OK, -22C this morning. I set up the timer for the block heater to come on about 2 hours before I started. Nice and quiet.

I'm going to try it again when I leave tonight, won't be as cold but not plugged in either, see if I can catch the whine.

Another interesting note is the cold tick isn't there either. I wasn't particularly listening for it but I don't think it was there. I will have to pay attention to that next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back