Oil Suggestion - 2004 Forester XT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dx92beater
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Subaru specifically states in the owners manual that a heavier oil is required under certain driving conditions. WRX's & STi's beat up the best 5W30's and some owners claim high oil consumption until they switch to a 5W40. Visit the Subaru boards if your in doubt.
I'm thinking the best oil you can use is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 with it's low NOACK rating.
You really need to learn more about your Subaru. That oil filter has the wrong bypass setting.

What filter has the wrong Bypass setting? I frequent the Subaru boards plenty, but I don't like to limit myself to a specific enthusiast demographic. I only bleed Mitsu as well. Wife and I have a fire and ice thing going on.
grin.gif

No aftermarket oil filter I've heard of specs the same bypass pressure as the OEM "turbo filter". Subaru specs this really small filter for the turbos, which is supposed to place the filter a few mm away from the exhaust manifold where all their turbo model oil filters are mounted. They have this high bypass pressure because apparently they don't want it bypassing unless absolutely necessary. I've just gone with an aftermarket filter anyways since I don't want any Fram filter in my engine. I had a stash of the old Tokyo Roki filters that I went through after several years.

As for the engine, in a technical discussion it's not "the same engine" as the STI. It's the same block and apparently the same intake. It's definitely not the same turbo, intercooler, ECU, and possibly not the same injectors. It also doesn't have the variable valve timing of the STI. The later WRXs had the same block too, but I wouldn't think anyone would say it's "the same engine", since there's a lot more to a modern engine than just the block, especially with all the electronics and turbo parts. I remember way back some magazine test got a ridiculous 0-60 time (something like 5.2 seconds) out of a Forester XT that other testers weren't able to duplicate. Most tests were somewhere in the high 6 second range.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Subaru specifically states in the owners manual that a heavier oil is required under certain driving conditions. WRX's & STi's beat up the best 5W30's and some owners claim high oil consumption until they switch to a 5W40. Visit the Subaru boards if your in doubt.
I'm thinking the best oil you can use is Pennzoil Ultra 5W40 with it's low NOACK rating.
You really need to learn more about your Subaru. That oil filter has the wrong bypass setting.

What filter has the wrong Bypass setting? I frequent the Subaru boards plenty, but I don't like to limit myself to a specific enthusiast demographic. I only bleed Mitsu as well. Wife and I have a fire and ice thing going on.
grin.gif

No aftermarket oil filter I've heard of specs the same bypass pressure as the OEM "turbo filter". Subaru specs this really small filter for the turbos, which is supposed to place the filter a few mm away from the exhaust manifold where all their turbo model oil filters are mounted. They have this high bypass pressure because apparently they don't want it bypassing unless absolutely necessary. I've just gone with an aftermarket filter anyways since I don't want any Fram filter in my engine. I had a stash of the old Tokyo Roki filters that I went through after several years.

As for the engine, in a technical discussion it's not "the same engine" as the STI. It's the same block and apparently the same intake. It's definitely not the same turbo, intercooler, ECU, and possibly not the same injectors. It also doesn't have the variable valve timing of the STI. The later WRXs had the same block too, but I wouldn't think anyone would say it's "the same engine", since there's a lot more to a modern engine than just the block, especially with all the electronics and turbo parts. I remember way back some magazine test got a ridiculous 0-60 time (something like 5.2 seconds) out of a Forester XT that other testers weren't able to duplicate. Most tests were somewhere in the high 6 second range.

The Wix 51772 has a bypass of 23 psi's and you should read more about the 2004/2005 Forester XT.
wink.gif
It shares many parts with the STI right down to the sodium filled exhaust valves as well as the same variable valve timing. Yes, it has the TD04 turbo which is from the WRX of the time.

-Dennis

Quote:
Hmm, thought these came with EJ255s, even that far back. Is it a detuned EJ257?

It is actually an EJ257 with a smaller turbo. I guess that the only detuning would be to accomodate the smaller TDO4 turbo as opposed to the VF series used in the STI.

Quote:
From the factory, you have an STI block (yes, EJ255) with a different manifold and ECU with a WRX turbo and the car is modified increasing HP 16% and TQ 21% according to Cobb (a very conservative estimate IMO).

Fantastic data! Sorry, I cut your post short since for whatever reason when I respond to a quote that is too long I can hardly see what I am writing. Also, our 04-05's get an EJ257, I think that the intake manifold on our EJ257's is identical except it is painted red.

Thanks for all BlueSubie and everyone. Not here to argue the sematics of whether or not our vehicles are WRX STI "engine equipped" in the strictest terms. I am fine driving a Forester XT. I brought up the engine so that folks could help me make an informed choice. I have to make a similar introduction when I ask for information on my Galant VR-4. Not everyone knows what that vehicle is either unless you let them know that the engine and drivetrain are the same as a Talon TSI AWD or Eclipse GSX.

Here is some interesting stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6RckGbaM0

Last edited:
Another vote for T6 5w40 for the turbo engine. The turbo's beat up most xW30 oils pretty fast. Mobil1 0w40 would also be decent, but not as easy to find for me.

Oil filter I'd use OEM, Wix (correct bypass psi), or PureOne (close bypass but lacking anti-drainback valve).

OCI in the 5000 range, no more without a UOA to see how it is holding up.

which seems to be around a quart every 1000 miles or less.

Use Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 for 2 changes and see if it slows down the consumption a little bit.

Many report lower consumption with RT6. While I cannot declare victory yet, it appears it is helping my car as well. It is on its 2nd fill of RT6 and it usually burns ~1 quart towards the later part of its 5k OCI.

Thanks for all BlueSubie and everyone. Not here to argue the sematics of whether or not our vehicles are WRX STI "engine equipped" in the strictest terms. I am fine driving a Forester XT. I brought up the engine so that folks could help me make an informed choice. I have to make a similar introduction when I ask for information on my Galant VR-4. Not everyone knows what that vehicle is either unless you let them know that the engine and drivetrain are the same as a Talon TSI AWD or Eclipse GSX.

Here is some interesting stuff:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da6RckGbaM0

I think I'm in love. That woman is my kinda girl for sure.

Back from the grave. I have the Rotella T6 5w-40 handy at this point. However, I'd like to know what my filter options are. They seem so limited. I don't have a NAPA around me that stocks anything and I despise my local dealership.

Nowhere seems to carry Wix.

Are M1 filters on par? What other options do I have?

Thanks again!

Looks like my best bet is either the blue 15208aa12a (with the hope that I don't get a recalled batch)...or a Mazda RX-8 N3R1-14-302?

There's nothing wrong with the OE Honeywell filter. It has the right bypass and the p gasket. If you spend some time in the oil filter forum, you can read about Purolator filters with media tear, and also Subaru leaking with flat gasket filters.

If the OE filter has these issues, it'll be posted all over the internet due to the number of filters sold vs aftermarket, plus the general hatred towards Fram/Honeywell. That filter is not a sexy choice, but like many things, it's hard to find some better than the simple and obvious choice.

Last edited:
OEM filter. They...just...work. Mail order a 10 pack and be done with it for 6 years
smile.gif

- b

142K 2002 WRX, now M10-40 (was mostly M15/30, bit of PP 5/30) with OEM filters

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
There's nothing wrong with the OE Honeywell filter. It has the right bypass and the p gasket. If you spend some time in the oil filter forum, you can read about Purolator filters with media tear, and also Subaru leaking with flat gasket filters.

If the OE filter has these issues, it'll be posted all over the internet due to the number of filters sold vs aftermarket, plus the general hatred towards Fram/Honeywell. That filter is not a sexy choice, but like many things, it's hard to find some better than the simple and obvious choice.

01.gif

-Dennis

Thanks everyone. My research concludes the same thing. I am fine with the OE Honeywell filter for sure especially considering that I don't plan on exceeding 5k OCI.

My only concern is sourcing an online vendor. Any reliable sources our there? Good deals?

I am a bit afraid that should I choose the wrong vendor, I'll end up getting filters that just happen to be within the recall period.

Sure, I could get them to take them back and have them offer me a shipping label...but who wants to go through that? I am tired of having to do that all the time!

Last edited:
I pretty much stick with Fred Beans in PA and most recently with Annapolis Subaru. Unfortunatley, Annapolis doesn't have a web site so you have to call their parts dept and ask for Jackie. Great prices and great service.

-Dennis

Last edited:
We had a '05 Baja Turbo 5MT (Which is identical to the forester XT)..

Ran Rotella T6 5w-40 and the NAPA/Wix filter with excellent results. Oil consumption was still there but reduced, and when the heads were popped at 155k, the shop reported that the engine looked great inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back