Is this grease OK for my shifter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so it's a bit late for me to be asking this, as I did it a few months ago, but I wanted to check if I should leave it or change the grease out.

Basically, I fitted a short shifter in my car, which had the usual plastic collar and ball as a pivot point for the lever. I think the collar is made or nylon or something similar. Not sure about the ball, but it's plastic again by the seems of it.

Anyway, I used this grease, as it was all I had lying around and seemed like it should do a decent job. Will it be OK with the plastics, or should I change it out for white grease or similar? The shifter seems fine in use, I just want to make sure that this stuff isn't going to eat or degrade the plastics in any way.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fini..._plid_#features

Many thanks

Russ

Nah, the ball part of the shifter doesn't get dirty. So I should be OK with leaving this grease in there, or should I remove it and change to a different grease?

Great, thanks. I appreciate your reply. Glad I'm not the only one!

I used white lithium grease on my shifter. This picture was taken before the grease (stock 11 year-old shifter).

I used a small popsicle stick to lube all the linkages, and I am happy with the results.

If I could do it again, I would like to try and use a thick needle / syringe to apply the grease. It would allow me finer control to get into the small spaces, as opposed to just slapping it on there

photo_zps85b59d87.jpg

Thanks folks. It looks like white grease would have been the proper grease to use then, but I think what I used is fine. I just smeared it on by hand, as I had the whole shifter out to install the short shift kit. I probably put too much on, but the car seems to shift fine, so as long as the grease i used plays nice with the nylon parts of the shifter I should be OK.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back