My S10 Blazer 4.3 oil selection: Edge SPT 0W-40 ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't leave anything to guess. Hook up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to be sure of pressure,then start playing around with grades.

Thinking of different oils. I know M1 0W-40 has superior cold flow, but, how much more superior to GC, and Castrol 0W-40?

Is the Castrol 0W-40 API SN? And how much more improvement than on their 5W-30 and 5W-40 ?

the 0W should still do what it's intended to in the cold . Depending on how cold it gets in your area you should be fine .

I'm assuming it's for your 4.3 so no overhead cams and a tough old design that could run on near anything you put in it .

Originally Posted By: nitehawk55
Why not run Rotella 5W40 T6 synthetic in it ?, great oil for the $$$ .

When you look at jug prices here in the US Walmarts, M1 is actually less expensive than Rotella T6.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

When you look at jug prices here in the US Walmarts, M1 is actually less expensive than Rotella T6.

$21.97 or maybe $24 and such for a gallon! 4 qts IIRC

Ill be by one soon, I can check...

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

$21.97 or maybe $24 and such for a gallon! 4 qts IIRC

Ill be by one soon, I can check...

Rotella T6 is about $21.50 for 4qt jug. M1 is about $22.50 for 5qt jug. You do the math.

You guys aren't paying $12 a litre for M1 0w-40, either.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

You guys aren't paying $12 a litre for M1 0w-40, either.
wink.gif

That's right. M1 0w-40 jugs are the same price as all other M1 jugs, so it ends up being about $4.50/quart.

Got to do a Michigan run soon , need some 0W20 M1 AFE some Rotella T6 5W40 which I like to run in my OPE and some 5W30 for my old truck...anything cheap .

Honestly it p-isses me off with the price differences as you can get most automotive parts , cleaning supplies , chemicals and a lot of other stuff for at least 30%-50% less (more or less) than here .

Sorry for the rant...carry on
smile.gif

That's right. M1 0w-40 jugs are the same price as all other M1 jugs, so it ends up being about $4.50/quart.

See, you know it's bad up here when I ran Delvac 1 and even RP 0w-40 in the Audi to save money over M1 0w-40!

I put 4 of 5 quarts of WPP Supertech (I recognize the bottle shape vs XOM) 10W-40 in the engine, now must change filter, lefty loosie.. clockwise, when looking at it since it mounts upside-down.

It "fixed" oil pressure issue, and I never at any time had less than 4 bars.

The strap oil filter wrench tool I bought for $4 was too big. Will need the pliers, or smaller strap wrench. L24011 Purolator

Is it ok to put in fuel injector cleaner to gas?

Put the injector cleaner in right before you are ready to change the oil, a tank or two out.

I like MMO for a bunch of reasons but I don't know why you'd want to add it you just went thicker because you wanted higher pressure MMO will thin your oil back down to a 30 grade most likely.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Put the injector cleaner in right before you are ready to change the oil, a tank or two out.

I like MMO for a bunch of reasons but I don't know why you'd want to add it you just went thicker because you wanted higher pressure MMO will thin your oil back down to a 30 grade most likely.

I decided to put in 3oz of cleaner, not the whole bottle. (Redline SI-1)

As to the MMO.. I have room on my dipstick for about half a quart, or 16oz. so I am not too worried about thinning it. In fact, if my spark plugs or something in engine is cleaning.fouling as I somewhat suspect given the wires and i will know at plugs themselves, I will purchase the MMO then the plugs, then change out the ones I can. better than changing none!

It will be interesting to see if I can maintain oil pressure with MMO in there. I would be at "thin 30" if I didnt have two bars blinking out of a three-bar-blink warning light zone on my gauge. (Wow, mouthful, but exactly accurate.)

Last night's acting up on the way home could have been just a bad and loose ground (and I hope it was that) but now I am so on guard for recurrence that I need to think of everything I can.

Going to AZ to get my 6 plugs and cheap set of wires (all I can afford.. beats the pic of the spark plug wire you see..)

578483_558693380863879_1416799494_n.jpg

Just that it is API SL and the 0W-40 is SN...

Which means absolutely nothing in this particular case.

I also may try GC at a thick 0W-30. Just that it is API SL and the 0W-40 is SN...

That is only because of SM and SN restrictions on ZDDP for 30 grade. The 40 grade has no such restrictions thus the SN rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back