Substitute grease compatable with Benalene 920

Does anyone know of a commonly available grease that is compatable with the Benalene 920 grease that is used in MTD lawnmower transaxles? I am told the Benalene is a clay-based grease and is not compatable with most other greases. Does that mean that it containes Bentonite?
I think the Benalene is made by Shell, but don't know for sure. MTD wants $25 for 8 oz of the stuff. It is a very thin jelly-like brown grease, almost pourable, although not quite. I don't want to clean out the whole transaxle to start over with a new grease, just want to add some new compatable grease.

It's an either-or situation in your case: either you (a) pay that king's ransom for that 8oz of grease from MTD, or (b) clean out your transaxle and start fresh with some new, commonly attainable clay-based grease.

It's your $$ and your call.

Q.

I understand it's an old thread but I'm up against the same problem. $25 for an 8oz tube just seems crazy. I have an older MTD rear tine tiller. Curious if there is anything new that can be added to the transmission that would be compatible with the benalene 920 without having to clean out the transmission ?
If I have to open it up and I end up cleaning it out would #00 be a good choice ?

Back