Coffee - Your Current Brew

What's in your cabinet?

You guys seem to have pretty good taste... One of you guys, I forget who, posted that the Eight 'o Clock Colombian was pretty good, so I picked some up today. It's pretty good - not my favorite, but definitely drinkable. Kinda has what seems to me to be a "vintage" or "old-fashioned" flavor - like, what I expect the average cup 'o joe tasted like from a diner or something, back in the '60s. Kinda a sharp, "bright" edge to it.

Anyway, here's my stash. Had to put my favorite mug in there, ha ha

69EF76D7-9A4D-4A45-9450-D339489A85C8-595-0000006910ABA89F_zps8ad37f1b.jpg

Nice stash.

I'm drinking Blasón espresso grind/roast through an Aeropress now, I picked up a sack of La Finca Chiapas espresso grind/roast on Tuesday for when the Blasón runs out.

When I'm in America I like to drink Café La Llave roasted by some ex-Cubans from Miami. (Comes in a light green can kind of like your Chock Full 'O Nuts can)

I saw the Cafe Bustelo espresso at Wal-Mart earlier. Thought about buying some. You don't drink the espresso variety?

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Nice stash.

I'm drinking Blasón espresso grind/roast through an Aeropress now, I picked up a sack of La Finca Chiapas espresso grind/roast on Tuesday for when the Blasón runs out.

When I'm in America I like to drink Café La Llave roasted by some ex-Cubans from Miami. (Comes in a light green can kind of like your Chock Full 'O Nuts can)

Hmm... Any of that widely available?

I roast my own.. order up 66lb bags of Bolivian coffee.
usually grade A or AA

usually the problem with store bought is its old and dried up..

also ground coffee loses over half its aromatics in under 48hours.

so Fresh Roasted whole bean between 3days and 6 weeks is usually best.

Fresh coffee Looks like this when you are brewing.
2013-02-08%2013.39.02.jpg

Roaster.. dont mind the beat up stand
smile.gif
its better than the crusty card table I was using previously
2013-06-11%2018.43.58.jpg

"Roasting in Progress"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27353239/2012-02-01 20.31.58.mp4

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
Aldi "Morning Roast" whole bean... after trying many different brands... my favorite

Aldi, as in the discount grocery chain?

Originally Posted By: Rand
I roast my own.. order up 66lb bags of Bolivian coffee.
usually grade A or AA

usually the problem with store bought is its old and dried up..

also ground coffee loses over half its aromatics in under 48hours.

so Fresh Roasted whole bean between 3days and 6 weeks is usually best.

Fresh coffee Looks like this when you are brewing.
2013-02-08%2013.39.02.jpg

Roaster.. dont mind the beat up stand
smile.gif
its better than the crusty card table I was using previously
2013-06-11%2018.43.58.jpg

"Roasting in Progress"

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/27353239/2012-02-01 20.31.58.mp4

Wow...

I'd love to smell those beans roasting! I bet your neighbors wonder where that smell comes from!

What kind of $$$ are we talkin' for a roaster like that?

Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Blasón and La Finca are widely available in Mexico, but not exported.

Café La Llave can be mail ordered from Cuban food internet stores. I would think any brick & mortar Cuban goods store should have it in stock. I've never seen it in a Mexican food store, at least not in the Washington/Oregon area.

To me all three are delicious. I don't particularly care for the Café Bustelo mentioned above, it is another Cuban-style coffee.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: john_pifer

Blasón and La Finca are widely available in Mexico, but not exported.

Café La Llave can be mail ordered from Cuban food internet stores. I would think any brick & mortar Cuban goods store should have it in stock. I've never seen it in a Mexican food store, at least not in the Washington/Oregon area.

To me all three are delicious. I don't particularly care for the Café Bustelo mentioned above, it is another Cuban-style coffee.

There are some stores around here that cater to Hispanics. I'll have to check them out.

The beans roasting actually smell like slightly burnt popcorn.. its not really "pleasant" until after they sit for a couple hours.
2013-09-12%2020.17.48.jpg

The coffee says new york because its imported by the container load (for grade A) and packaged here.
yes the color is correct its wood colored until roasted.

Scale I use to measure batches. If you are 1oz off it can be as much as 1-2min difference.

2013-09-12%2020.28.22.jpg

Coffee Pot is a moccamaster technivorm, Grinder is a Breville conical burr grinder.BCG800XL

Both are Top of the line.
If I had to buy a coffee pot right now I'd get this one
http://www.behmor.com/brazen.php
gort3-corrected.jpg

The roaster Is a behmor 1600 its the cheapest available that roasts a decent amount (12-15oz) they go for 300$ with 20$ of coffee free(about 280$net)
behmor1600.jpg

http://www.behmor.com/behmor-1600.php
the next step up costs close to 1000$

there are smaller air roasters for $150$ but they roast 5oz or so.

Last edited:
I started a coffee roasting company when I was younger with a Toper roaster from Turkey.

I don't care what the bean was, but if you let the freshly roasted coffee de-gas then grind it up and do ANYTHING with it it tasted like nothing you have ever tried.

Filter, espresso, bodum... It was like candy, a baked good.

If you ever walk down the street and see a coffee roaster in the window that has a chimney hookup, ask when they roast.

Then buy a bag of whatever they scoop out of the cooling bin right after they dump it out.

People even buy green beans and roast them in a cast iron skillet.

Coffee goes stale in exactly the same manner as a baked good.

You can't put your fingure on why, but freshness is 99% of the flavor that is lost when you buy coffee that was roasted, say, last year.

Now that I have had the absolute best, and did it with my own hands, I now enjoy the simple compromise of Maxwell House on sale.

Instant coffee will give me a gag reflex though, when I used to like it when I was camping. So that is wrecked for me.

I preferred all the beans you could get from Africa... Nice solid flavor, such as Kenya AA.

You mixed that with any lesser bean and you had a nice blend.

Coffee keeps me up, and makes me antsy, so I stick to 2 cups a day in the early morning before work.

Coffee, beer, women. Science has yet to catch up.

Peaberry isnt actually a variety its a umm "defect" for lack of a better word.

its what happens when half of the coffee bean inside the coffee cherry doesnt develop

so instead of 2 beans with flat side

you get one rounded bean.

They roast more even and are slightly more dense by volume.

usually 5% of the crop is peaberry

google link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peaberry

I usually stick with bolivian its been the best at a great price. Invalsa is a good place to order. Burman is ok but their beans arent as good a quality. Invalsa also gives you an insane discount if you order 66lb for some types.

Sorry all for my book o posts in here.. but I'm serious coffee NUT
smile.gif

to the OP I think I had that exact BUNN coffee pot.. you might try plugging 2-3 holes with broken off toothpicks(mine had 8 or 10?) It brews so fast the water doesnt really pick up the full coffee flavor.. esp on partial pots.

Last edited:
I use the local guys: http://www.blanchardscoffee.com/

Currently going through my bag of Malwai Estate Washed AA

Otherwise I can't recommend them highly enough. Tiny operation, US owned, and they go way past Fair Trade: http://www.blanchardscoffee.com/2/post/2013/08/straight-talk-about-sustainability.html

I use an electric kettle, Chemex, and my grinder is a radial burr 1/2 horsepower behemoth from a convenience store. MSRP of these things are $800 new, this one works great and I snagged it for $60. Some think conical burr is better- but I've seen a few tests where they analyzed the grinds and the radial had fewer fines and more consistent sizing. For drip coffee, it's truly hard to beat. For espresso, go burr or go home.
2010-07-13%252018.30.44.jpg

Back