help get 9.9hp mercury 2-stroke running

Status
Not open for further replies.
have an older 9.9hp mercury. problem is family ran it few years back, and i think i remember them running it on straight gas before i asked if they mixed it 50:1. but i know it ran for a while after that, like the rest of the summer no problem. then it had idle problems and would only run if you pulled the starter cord with it in gear at half throttle, and you could run it at maybe 33% to full throttle and it run move the little boat fine. but would die when coming down to idle. figured it was typical carb problem.
motor sat for last 4 or so years. shortly after taking ownership, i tried fixing the idle problem: cleaned carb and put a new carb kit on it, did not fix. also put new ignition box in it. best of my knowledge it never had a spark problem. after that i came to the conclusion i needed a new carb because the original one has a thin idle tube that comes up through the middle of it to the idle well on top where the idle mixture jet is. i tried manually putting a vacuum on that on the bench and it would not pull fuel. nor when i had it running i would shut it down and pull the cover off the idle well on top and it would be dry.
got around to buying new carb and tried starting it tonight but no luck. only thing different is i bought the 15hp carb which fits the motor fine and it was also cheaper. as far as i know the only difference between the 9.9 and 15 outboards is the carb and everything carb-wise is the same except the round throat on the reed block side is larger by a few millimeters.
motor fires once pulling the cord which puts the pistons through maybe 4-5 strokes but will not run. i've checked spark on each plug and it is strong. i've checked timing on the flywheel with a light and it's within range. i've sprayed starting fluid in the carb, and in the spark plug holes then installed spark plugs and still nothing. i've only put my finger over #1 spark plug hole and i can't keep it on there pulling the cord, i'll try putting my pressure gauge on them when i find it. around what psi should i see?
I'm at a loss why this thing does not at least have the cylinders fire for a bit with the starting fluid. i doubt at this point it's the carb, not with using starting fluid i should get the thing running for at least 1-2 seconds but it barely wants to kick once. so now i'm wondering if maybe i should pull the reed block and inspect those?
and it seems like it's getting good compression but i wonder if it's weak.
serial number is 0B294290, that's zeros, and exploded diagrams can be found on the web mainly boats.net.

Last edited:
ok did compression test, both cylinders shoot to 60psi on first pull. after 3 pulls i can read 90-100 psi, if i pull hard on first pull i can get 80 psi.
put my vacuum/pressure gauge on the little hose that runs from the side of the block to the carb. i get no pressure, the needle bounces but does not move out of the white area which is zero on the gauge. I can blow as hard as i can in to the gauge and make it register just 1 psi.

it's hose part # 26 in the schematic here
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Mercur...VERS/parts.html
23.png

this hose runs to the carb to the little barb here

and remembering what i've done on the motor in the past, this hose is all new along with intake gaskets around the reed block and intake on the side of the block- gaskets 34, 33, 29, 21, 13 have been replaced. 34 is not a head gasket.
wondering if #12 is my problem and have a leak around the reed block?

If it won't run on starting fluid (which is not good for a 2 stroke) I doubt it is going to run on gas.

try putting a tablespoon of 2stroke oil in the plug holes, reinstall plugs, spray starter fluid in the intake, pull the cord a few times, see if it pops with the extra compression

gasket 12 around the reed block, which is like an o-ring type gasket, i think is my problem. it's old and obsolete, and with #13 being new and thicker i don't think #12 is sealing inside the cylinder block and dividing the cylinders, which is why i'm not getting any fuel into the compression side of things.

I disagree, #12 doesn't divide the cylinders. It just seals the two halves of the reed block, it has been replaced with a one piece reed block.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
try putting a tablespoon of 2stroke oil in the plug holes, reinstall plugs, spray starter fluid in the intake, pull the cord a few times, see if it pops with the extra compression

I would try this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back